Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[RePost]Terraforming should be a craft

Cracky69 originally wrote this post located here: Hardcore PvP gamers should thank carebear gamers! This post has been reposted with permission from Cracky69. Edits that I have made, are highlighted in square brackets, to try and give this a Starting Thread quality.

Below is the text provided by Cracky69:

Prokop eluded to [players only being able to terraform in the tribal zone] and I am very glad to hear [that] this [is the true]. Still, I remain concerned about the seeming ease at which huge [terraformed] structures are created.

[...]

At the moment terraforming is not a craft, but I feel it should be. It should require more specific tools and resources. For example, roads should need rocks just like firebuilding and the maximum height of a raised terrace should depend on both the builder's teraforming skill and type of building resource (not just dirt).

My other concern is with regards to damage or decay.

Consider, for example a tribe, with a good number of players that focusses hard on building fortifications. What happens to their structure if the tribe loses members or disbands entirely. Will the game soon become dotted with the ruins of countless shortlived tribes?

I honestly believe that large structures could be an asset to the game, but they should be something that require a considerable time and effort to build. Perhaps sopmething close in dificulty to the manufacture of starbases in EVE. In my opinion, allowing anything more than basic levelling with a simple terraforming skill is completely wrong.

If players are actually to be allowed terraforming abilities I feel the system needs a considerable overhall to prevent over building causing a permanent blight on an otherwise beautiful landscape. I'd much prefer to see a row of tents and a few barricades than these monstrous over-sized sandcastles. It would also be much more realistic I'm sure.

Re:[RePost]Terraforming should be a craft

Glad you moved this post.

First off, Not sure if they can do much more with tearraforming. But if they could, It would be nice if it was a craft. Being able to build bulkheads and such when your tribal lands are on water ways. landscaping land and making step hills out of timber and earth.

As far as roads go, I remember them saying road will take rock, It's just not in test yet.

And as far as large terraforming jobs go, I think when they add construction to the game, We will see far less earth moving jobs. As most will start working to see just what it takes to make real buildings.

I would also hope that construction will reduce the amount of terraforming, but I still suspect that tribes may look to build a 15 metre high terrace, with a 15 metre deep trench around it and then put their buildings on top.

A defensive barricade will be more effective on a terraformed ridge and I suspect that is what we'll see.

People will raise and lower the land just becuase they can and it's going to make the place look terrible. Terraforming should not be an easy task.

Levelling is fine, but the building-like terraces that result from terraforming are too grand. I would like to see the height of any terraformed land restricted to about half a meter either side of the original height unless machinery is built to move earth.

One thing I have already learnt is that some Tribes will terraform as much as possible in this game in order to advertise (show off) their tribes and the resulting landscape will be a total mess unless the activity is curtailed.

Don't forget thou that the terraforming abilities are only being down because there are no other way to actually build things or to claim areas. People like building, digging holes is something anyone can do in reality without needing much of anything other than a shovel. Add to that the games inability to drop dirt is one of a great hindrance if you simply want a moat like area.

Its a great suggestion as I said in private, but make it to problematic and you will see it being ignored (which in this game is likely to cause problems) make it to easy and you have a possible bug (since its likely you cant terraform other tribes areas).

Either way, lets see where it goes.

Xsyon Citizen

Cracky69 wrote:
    I would also hope that construction will reduce the amount of terraforming, but I still suspect that tribes may look to build a 15 metre high terrace, with a 15 metre deep trench around it and then put their buildings on top.

A defensive barricade will be more effective on a terraformed ridge and I suspect that is what we'll see.

People will raise and lower the land just becuase they can and it's going to make the place look terrible. Terraforming should not be an easy task.

Levelling is fine, but the building-like terraces that result from terraforming are too grand. I would like to see the height of any terraformed land restricted to about half a meter either side of the original height unless machinery is built to move earth.

One thing I have already learnt is that some Tribes will terraform as much as possible in this game in order to advertise (show off) their tribes and the resulting landscape will be a total mess unless the activity is curtailed.
    I agree with Cracky69. The word eyesore comes to mind every time I see these dwellings, abodes, houses, towns, cities, etc....

[img size=600]http://a.imageshack.us/img842/1646/livehere2.png[/img]

PLEASE make construction good enough so that terraforming is used VERY little.

Idea's for a limited skill/crafting

Limited recipes for terraforming, Are add this into construction. The recipes would be limited to only a few job's.

Attractive, Appealing, Beautifying will help the game in two ways. It will help tribes in recruiting, I also could see this attracting more gamers to the game as video's are seen.

I see this as more of a construction type craft. You could make the recipes more like blueprints. Having the landscaping jobs take much more work, But in the end having things like

bulkheads for water ways and the lake. Also you could have blueprints for stuff like this

To help with hills in your tribal camp area.

There really is a lot you could do using terraforming and construction. But maybe what I am talking about is landscaping and not terraforming.

Now that you put it like that Alik, it makes sense. What tribes really want is landscaping abilities (in my view). Even in Wurm, the majority of the work was down to make the land they where on more attractive. My training began working on "T3", which unfortunately became to much to keep going as I then became a PA, and then the leader had to leave, and PA duties made it impossible to keep playing it as a person endeavour.

The only problem, is the work that this would require... would need to be done after prelude if at all.

Since we will have only one character, It will be sort of a craft. Until you learn it from another. Anyone can pick up a shovel and dig. Unsure how they can limit a novice terraformer in comparison to a master terraformer.

I have had a blast figuring out a floorplan to a 'dream' house of sorts. 3D floorplan. My suggesting is putting in hardwood floors. :woohoo:

As I've said before, Terraforming is what pushed me over the edge in deciding to buy this game. Therefore, I hope they keep it. One man's paradise, can be another's sespool. I'd hate to see the Devs start deciding who is building and beautifying, and who is just trashing the area.....it's all subjective.

However, I do think terraformed terrain should decay or erode away if a tribe is disbanded (hopefully tibes with less than minumum numbers will auto disband). I hope everything decays away eventually when tribe is disbanded. (maybe the tribe's buildings can decay into a new trash-pile from which to scavange)

I'd also like to see the skill mean more, but dont really see how it can, other than just use less energy when terraforming the higher in skill you get. Alot of terraforming is in just becomming familiar with how terrain reacts to what you're doing.

I'm anxious to see what buildings and construction the Devs have planned for us as well.

You can find this here http://www.xsyon.com/features

Objects degrade and decay with use and the ravages of weather and time
    With luck and maybe some more players asking for it, It can be added to the terra.