Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:Thoughts on various aspects of the game.

Thanks for the feedback Snake. I know a lack of local chat was one of the things that killed Darkfall for my RP guild.

Modifying dirt and stuff is nice but I don't think I'd truly feel like I have a fort with out some sort of wooden walls and or tents like in some of the screen shots on the website.
    Dirt walls are a good stop gap but they feel more like improvisation versus having an actual fort.

Snake, building structures by piling up logs and stuff is not the intended way of doing things in this game. That is just something people do for now because they are bored. Structures will consist of the prefab meshes you see in the screen shots (as ozziewolf mentioned above).

As far as chat goes, ozzie, you'll have guild/tribe chat so you can do all your RP stuff in there. I'm assuming the chat interface will improve to make it easier to choose which chat mode you're in (rather than having to type /t or whatever every time).

Also be aware that animals are spawned manually by Virtus at the moment.

I agree it needs to be properly dark at night and we need torches and campfires to really work.

Cunk wrote:
    Snake, building structures by piling up logs and stuff is not the intended way of doing things in this game. That is just something people do for now because they are bored. Structures will consist of the prefab meshes you see in the screen shots (as ozziewolf mentioned above).

As far as chat goes, ozzie, you'll have guild/tribe chat so you can do all your RP stuff in there. I'm assuming the chat interface will improve to make it easier to choose which chat mode you're in (rather than having to type /t or whatever every time).
    Using Guild/Tribe chat for rp defeats the purpose of RP because it limits you to just RPing within your guild. A large portion of RP often includes many people from numerous backgrounds. I can safely say that with out form of localized chat a large portion of RPers will keep looking for the game that does.
    It may not seem like much of an issue bit it's probably more critical than any other form of chat when it comes to Roleplay.

The guild I'm a member of is Shadowclan and a friend and I are currently scouting the game to see if it will be suitable for a branch. Granted we wouldn't be RPing as Orcs since they don't fit in with the setting.

Cunk wrote:
    yeah thats great then, thanks Cunk

Cunk wrote:
    The path they are currently taking in my opinion is the correct path, I personally can not stand the multi-tab chat systems(Eve/Darkfall). Both games have sever problem especially when receiving private messages going unnoticed.

I agree some tweaks are needed:

* Sticky the channel you last spoken in.

* A hot-key to reply to whispers (ie. r in wow)

* Make name of player a link to start a whisper to. (will help with the whole space in the name issue)

* I am pretty sure this is already in place but just in case - different color for each channel (examples: local - white, tribe - green, whispers - blue, etc...) (disclaimer: color scheme listed is for example only, I am not suggesting to use this specific color scheme.)

* Ability to leave and enter all channels.

* perhaps a DND mode where you ignore all whispers - might come in handy if the "gold farmers" start advertising.

EDIT: Personally I would be happy with a whisper system and a local bubble chat system combination. I use vent for 99% of my conversations anyways.

Kerovan wrote:
    Cunk wrote:
    The path they are currently taking in my opinion is the correct path, I personally can not stand the multi-tab chat systems(Eve/Darkfall). Both games have sever problem especially when receiving private messages going unnoticed.

I agree some tweaks are needed:

* Sticky the channel you last spoken in.

* A hot-key to reply to whispers (ie. r in wow)

* Make name of player a link to start a whisper to. (will help with the whole space in the name issue)

* I am pretty sure this is already in place but just in case - different color for each channel (examples: local - white, tribe - green, whispers - blue, etc...) (disclaimer: color scheme listed is for example only, I am not suggesting to use this specific color scheme.)

* Ability to leave and enter all channels.

* perhaps a DND mode where you ignore all whispers - might come in handy if the "gold farmers" start advertising.

EDIT: Personally I would be happy with a whisper system and a local bubble chat system combination. I use vent for 99% of my conversations anyways.
    I agree that tabbed chatting is terrible and not what I'm referring to when I say localalized chat. The games that keep chat all in one window with the option to create more windows or filter what goes into the windows are the ones that have done it right.

ozziewolf wrote:
    Cunk wrote:

Using Guild/Tribe chat for rp defeats the purpose of RP because it limits you to just RPing within your guild. A large portion of RP often includes many people from numerous backgrounds. I can safely say that with out form of localized chat a large portion of RPers will keep looking for the game that does.
    It may not seem like much of an issue bit it's probably more critical than any other form of chat when it comes to Roleplay.

The guild I'm a member of is Shadowclan and a friend and I are currently scouting the game to see if it will be suitable for a branch. Granted we wouldn't be RPing as Orcs since they don't fit in with the setting.
    I have to agree with ozziewolf. Kind of "bystander RP" adds a lot of flavor to a world from my opinion - which asks for a local chat channel. Imagine something like UO for example as a major RP plattform with local chat ... :blink: