Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Xsyon Citizen

Re:Trade with tribes beyond the impenetrable mist.

I do have a feeling that if there is a "Currency of the Realm" it would look something like this:

[img size=500]http://a.imageshack.us/img409/8839/washoewasher1.png[/img]

I love the idea of just letting it develop.

I'm more than happy to trade 4 metal decorations for a golf club or whatever. To be honest I can see a useful, but fairly rare item becoming the predominant form of currency as such as item will be most widely traded.

To be honest, I think if the market is left entirely free we're more likely to end up with the Buckle - perhaps - as our standard unit.

Please though, lets just find out how it goes. If the economy never really gets started then a standard note or token can be added later.

Ashanti, I loved your post. This game intrigues me more and more every day.

Thank you Snake and Cracky for your kind words

Ok, so now this topic has my imagination overflowing with excitement and I would like to share with everyone lol.

It would also be nice if in addition to bartering channels, we could also be able to set up individual merchant stalls, and tribal merchant stalls if tribes so desired, to display our available resources and merchandise to interested barters.

Barterers could then click on our merchant stalls to view our available merchandise and counter with items/merchandise that they would like to trade for our displayed resources and merchandise.

These merchant stalls could be available in various sized backpacks so that we could be mobile and carry our merchandise, or stationary stalls, in which we could use to store and display more items, but they would, of course, be stationary.

With the backpacks, all interested barterers would have to do is right click on us and pick the "Backpack" option, and a list of our resources and merchandise for bartering would be displayed for the interested barterer to view. All the barterer would have to do then is initiate a conversation and make a verbal offer, and an exciting bartering negotiation would then ensue, followed by a successful exchange.

Backpacks and merchant stalls would of course be crafted by skilled crafters in the various skills. And their worth would increase according to the amount of available slots in the backpack or stall, and the strength and quality of the particular backpack or merchant stall.

But that's not all lol.

As far as merchant stalls are concerned, we could also go as far as implementing where these merchant stalls could be located, how they are manned, and their relative security. In other words, depending on our wealth, we could also have the option of manning them ourselves, hiring others to man them, or purchasing/crafting a reinforced theft[proof merchant stall, so that we could place them in the wild unmanned, and all a random barterer would have to do is PM us to negotiate a barter.

And ... and ...

ok, I'll stop ...

... for now? :laugh:

rofl, I can see her vanishing in the sky leaving a trace of bubbles with ideas and those ideas talk to each other because they feel kind of alive and produce while talking to others again brand-new ideas of ideas and so on and so on ... On the floor two people are standing and one asks the other: Where do all those bubbles come from? And the other answers: Oh well, that is a great mystery and they whisper in the mist that there is a mysterious bubble-fay inspiring them all and if one falls on your head you suddenly have an idea. :P

ATitD used to have currency but it turned out to be a big flop. It just didn't work, players could literally make their own form of currency, with the goal of one currency dominating. No other player was able to duplicate one players currency so it couldn't be ripped off - at least easily.

In the end, what resulted in the currency standard was 'The Goods'. A system where a blade of grass equals the same amount of a piece of alloy metal if the supply and demand saw it happen.

They would judge the good on its value, ask players to trade to them this item (so they themselves didn't have to collect everything) sell their "Goodscript" to the player, and they could spend it at any time.

So if the game just started, and grass was just being listed at the store, The Goods would be buying grass for a high amount to the player, selling it others at the higher rate, and as more players gave grass the buying price would decrease, along with the buying price, but it would be a balance of real supply and demand.

When rare items came about, it was fair game to see lots of million dollar mushrooms - mushrooms where used in research, produced acids and lots of other interesting things.

So a system (in game or not) was created, in this situation it is a external system, so that players don't lose the goodscript and they can keep track of the currency floating around.

WillBingham wrote:
    Xsyon wrote:
    The original plan for currency was the use of dollars that would come with each player account and could be found scavenging.

The 'evolution' of currency was to add several types of objects such as bottlecaps, buttons, beer tabs, etc. that could be stacked in large amounts in a player's pocket slots.

Tribes could then assign one of these as an official currency for their tribe, but it wouldn't be as complex as creating Shinra coins or 'Shrimps'.

Tribes could also assign exchange rates.

Right now, after discussing with players and reading threads such as this one, we might stick with bartering at the beginning, and later add the tools for tribes to designated currencies if they wish to do so, as mentioned above.

We'll soon see once the tribe totems are in and players start trading more.
    That is what I like about this game. We CAN have a voice in what the end product will be. Not to mention that starting with a barter only system is not only more realistic but, is actually easier on the devs (no currency issues right off).

I am still not sure if I would want to have a pocket full of these:
    dude.....yes.. I love it. I can see Shrimpenheiguhousenfeist dominating the economy in no time flat.