Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Tahoe?

Xsyon Citizen

Re:Why Tahoe?

?? The Mayan calendar was chosen to end because of astronomy. Where it ends the solar system shows unusual alignment with the galactic center. The reason this is thought to be potentially catastrophic is because it may act as a lay-line for cosmic radiation/energy. Even modern astronomers and scientists can't accurately predict what will happen - but the Earth has survived several such cycles and I doubt it blew up each time.

Personally I doubt anything 'big' will happen, maybe some strange magnetic readings, maybe the poles (north and south) will get jarred a little. The real reason that the Mayan calendar is amazing to me is their mastery of mathematic equations and astronomy - we didn't have the instruments to accurately predict this kind of phenomena until less than 100 years ago.

Does it mean the world will end? The Mayans believed the current 'age' would end and the world would start another. It was tied into their religious beliefs - and sadly for them the Jesuits burned all of their books which outlined everything about it.

I don't know anything about ties to the lake Tahoe basin, but ignoring the astronomy factor and the overlying cause of these 'doom prophecies' is a big oversight. The Mayans were right in predicting the alignment, whether the religious aspect of it was correct remains to be seen.

The world is not going to blow up spontaeneously. More than likely they either just didn't see the use in making a calender 2000 years ahead of time or they were too busy getting massacred by the spanish to really care about a big rock.

Then there's my theory, that they were like "Joe C'mon man stop carving already, you're scaring off the babes"

Then again it could just mean the magnetic poles will shift as they've done in the past (no biggie).

There could be an ice age (little biggie).

Or it could be like the movie Pitch Black and the planet could go dark for 3 months and those creature things will kill us all (we got vin diesel and chuck norris, we're good)

Notice how none of these end with the world exploding? yeah that's because things the size of a planet don't just up and explode for no reason.

None of those things will happen. Magnetic pole switches occur over thousands of years. Same with ice ages. 2013 will be just as exciting and eventful as 2000 (post-Y2K).

However, despite the reality of 2012, I'm not unaware that the stories are fertile ground for games and movies and probably whatever TV show comes out around then. So I can accept that part of it.

Ah well, I've heard about this conspiracy theory some months ago while sitting in a bar. A not so unwise man told about it, it was a nice theme for the evening, and I laughed a lot - he didn't minded me at all, nice guy

Thinking in astronomic categories a thing like the earth is such a tiny something, so I'm not able to even theorize about what may happen if most of the planets of our solar-system are ligned up. Though the moon has some effects like tiding, I guess that the distance of the others are so much larger and gravity is loosing its influence drastically over distance.

However, I will have my towel with me on that day to be able to hitchhike :laugh:

PS: Another theory tells about a little fly spot that later then was analized as beeing a square, so the original number was 20122 :silly:

The end of the world has been prophesied for eons.

The world ended in 1000 (huge religious fervor, the first christian millennium ends)
    The world ended in 1666 (year of the beast, bubonic plague was sweeping Europe and Asia)
    The world ended on July 16, 1945 (when the atmosphere caught on fire)
    The world ended on September 26, 1983 (almost, due to a computer glitch)
    The world ended on Jan 1, 2000 (second millennium ends, Y2K bug)
    The world will end on December 21, 2012 (mayan calendar)
    The world will end in 5,000,000,000 (when the sun expands)

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Xsyon Citizen

:S The Mayan culture had collapsed in on itself prior to the conquistadors showing up - the great cities were already abandoned. It's interesting in that the game we're all waiting to participate in uses a diasaster in 2012 as a premise point for the apocalypse that creates the situation our characters are in... And yet we're all kind of "what?".

Kitsume wrote:

The world ended in 1000 (huge religious fervor, the first christian millennium ends)
    The world ended in 1666 (year of the beast, bubonic plague was sweeping Europe and Asia)
    The world ended on July 16, 1945 (when the atmosphere caught on fire)
    The world ended on September 26, 1983 (almost, due to a computer glitch)
    The world ended on Jan 1, 2000 (second millennium ends, Y2K bug)
    The world will end on December 21, 2012 (mayan calendar)

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

This

:woohoo:

Kitsume wrote:
    This is the only one that has any merit since it's true. Although no one has pinpointed date like that.

But we'll be long gone before then anyway.

CUNK I wanted to tell u this long time ago, but i think now is the time. Your profile picture doesnt make sense.
    Jesus is a serious man, and not like u showing it.
    Bad boy you are!

Why would you think Jesus never laughed in his life? I'm sure his whole life didn't suck.

Anyway, if you're still not happy take it up with the guy who's responsible for the image:

(the one on the left)