Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Tahoe?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why Tahoe?

Just was interested in what led the decision in basing the world of Xsyon in and around Lake Tahoe. I must say it has turned out quite astonishingly beautiful, but I'm simply curious as to why Tahoe turned out the basis for the world versus say Yellowstone, or Yosemite or any other myriad of breathtaking areas. Any conjuncture, suggestions or answers?

Cheers
    ltwalts

Re:Why Tahoe?

I think I've read somewhere that Jordi lives there :cheer:

Large lake - plus
    Expansive wilderness - plus
    Mountains - plus

One of my favorite vacation spots - double plus

Of course, Jooky's home at Lake Tahoe could be a factor

Im not far away from lake tahoe. Plus plus plus :P

While I don't say this in an official authority, I do think that 2012 is a good influence on the game. The first telling of such prophecies came from this area I believe.

kiwibird wrote:
    While I don't say this in an official authority, I do think that 2012 is a good influence on the game. The first telling of such prophecies came from this area I believe.
    I thought 2012 was a Mayan thing? Not that the Mayans made predictions about 2012, just that the idiots that think something will happen in 2012 are basing it off Mayan calendars.

Cunk wrote:
    kiwibird wrote:
    I thought 2012 was a Mayan thing? Not that the Mayans made predictions about 2012, just that the idiots that think something will happen in 2012 are basing it off Mayan calendars.
    Just asked my good friend hermyane and she said the world will blow up.

Xsyon Citizen

?? The Mayan calendar was chosen to end because of astronomy. Where it ends the solar system shows unusual alignment with the galactic center. The reason this is thought to be potentially catastrophic is because it may act as a lay-line for cosmic radiation/energy. Even modern astronomers and scientists can't accurately predict what will happen - but the Earth has survived several such cycles and I doubt it blew up each time.

Personally I doubt anything 'big' will happen, maybe some strange magnetic readings, maybe the poles (north and south) will get jarred a little. The real reason that the Mayan calendar is amazing to me is their mastery of mathematic equations and astronomy - we didn't have the instruments to accurately predict this kind of phenomena until less than 100 years ago.

Does it mean the world will end? The Mayans believed the current 'age' would end and the world would start another. It was tied into their religious beliefs - and sadly for them the Jesuits burned all of their books which outlined everything about it.

I don't know anything about ties to the lake Tahoe basin, but ignoring the astronomy factor and the overlying cause of these 'doom prophecies' is a big oversight. The Mayans were right in predicting the alignment, whether the religious aspect of it was correct remains to be seen.

The world is not going to blow up spontaeneously. More than likely they either just didn't see the use in making a calender 2000 years ahead of time or they were too busy getting massacred by the spanish to really care about a big rock.

Then there's my theory, that they were like "Joe C'mon man stop carving already, you're scaring off the babes"

Then again it could just mean the magnetic poles will shift as they've done in the past (no biggie).

There could be an ice age (little biggie).

Or it could be like the movie Pitch Black and the planet could go dark for 3 months and those creature things will kill us all (we got vin diesel and chuck norris, we're good)

Notice how none of these end with the world exploding? yeah that's because things the size of a planet don't just up and explode for no reason.

None of those things will happen. Magnetic pole switches occur over thousands of years. Same with ice ages. 2013 will be just as exciting and eventful as 2000 (post-Y2K).

However, despite the reality of 2012, I'm not unaware that the stories are fertile ground for games and movies and probably whatever TV show comes out around then. So I can accept that part of it.