Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Possible new stuff added to update?

Kitsume wrote:
    And one has to wonder why developers are reluctant to post any sort of time frames.
    Oh well Kitsume, we REALLY hate timeframes I can tell. If possible at all I always multiply the time I think I may need by at least 2 and then they are happily surprised if I come tomorrow and let them now: There it is
    This has I guess something to do with programming beeing a creative job too, and they all know that someone having such a job in RL like painters etc has this reluctance, but programmers are only thought of as nerds and analytical monkeys :cheer:

Re:Possible new stuff added to update?

Actually I was being a little sarcastic. The usually indicates that for me.

I have been on the other side of the curtain in a different MORPG a while back, so I know what it is like. The one thing that stresses developers is player pressure to give out dates, then for unforscene reasons the deadline can't be made and the players scream bloody murder.

On the other side, I understand the player's perspective too. It is frustrating to wait and wait, with little news of what is going on. But some people need to give the devs a little understanding in that not everything goes as expected.

If you were being sarcastic then what you were really saying is that "developers are eager to post any sort of timeframes".

Im curious where the talk of timeframes came from, there was no mention of timeframe.

So an explanation for those that cant read so well...
    All that was asked about here is what the additional stuff is that has gone into this patch due to the server change taking much longer than expected. No one has given Jordi a hard time about it taking so long, its clearly not something that is in his hands. However, Jordi said in his update he would list us the additional stuff that will be in this patch, that was 3 days ago, and he forgot to update us. Now the OP is asking the very question, and I just pointed out that Jordi already said he was going to update us, but hasnt yet.

Now, in all of that, where does it say that we are getting annoyed cos of a date blown out the window, or that we want more regular general updates? Maybe I need to read between the lines and find something that isnt actually there

Cunk wrote:
    If you were being sarcastic then what you were really saying is that "developers are eager to post any sort of timeframes".

Having an opposite meaning is only a type of sarcasm. You are thinking of irony.

http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/sarcasmandirony

Sarcasm & Irony

Sarcasm and Irony have a very close relationship with one another. Both tend to be used to make a poignant or entertaining statement. Often times, people say something is ironic when it is actually sarcastic and vice versa because the two concepts have become so intertwined, whereas, in actuality, sarcasm is a concept that utilizes irony. In many instances, sarcasm is a remark seasoned with irony. You can think of irony as a vessel to express many things in a sarcastic way. For example, if a girl takes an especially long time to get ready as her date patiently waits for her, when she finally emerges, her date might remark with a deadpan tone "Well, you certainly don't take long to get ready." In the circumstance, again, irony is utilized to express the opposite of the actual situation to mock the extended length of time it took for the girl to actually get ready. Irony is employed, but the humor that is achieved though its use is sarcasm. In addition, sarcasm is always considered a form of wit, whereas irony can be found in any type of situation, be is funny or quite serious. Irony takes on many forms (generally tragic and situational irony) that are very saddening and in no way considered mockery. In this sense Irony is a bit more varied and far-reaching in its scope than sarcasm.

Creating an MMO=timesink. Understand that completely.
    Having said that, I do expect a certain amount of service and honesty from a dev, especially when you have sunk a few bucks into the venture. Small investment but an investment nonetheless.

I have been down the small dev road before and whilst the service thats been offered has had promise the end result has mostly been the same,that being a lack of integrity on the developers behalf insofar as not delivering on promises, both ingame and on the forums.

I am in no way calling into question the character of this particualr dev as I am quite new to these forums, just saying that i've seen this pattern before.
    Basically, I expect that if you say your going to do something, then you really need to make sure you do, however small and inconsequential it may seem at the time.

In MMO's a little generally goes a long way.

Now the OP is asking the very question, and I just pointed out that Jordi already said he was going to update us, but hasnt yet
    Well, Kinslayer, you are part right. I didn't post much of an update. That evening, I looked at the list and it there wasn't much to add. We were still making adjustments and the only thing to add was the database revision which took a while. Now that's out of the way and fully tested, so I've just posted a better update about what features are done and what we've moved on to.

Thanks for being patient. This pending server move isn't something we want to deal with it all, but it is giving us a bit of a break to focus on improvements and getting these features done.

Hopefully we will see new server host and a new update tonight sometime.

Sorry, it won't happen tonight.

We don't yet have access to the new servers though they are supposedly ready. Once we have access it will take a few days.