Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Xsyon on linux

Wine is the problem. Xsyon is rarely crashing on Windows, which might have been the problem before. (I haven't seen much more crashing of Xsyon than any other MMO I run..)

First I'll shoot this topic down.
    In general, I would not run a game that isn't set-up to be able to run on OpenGL. (The huge success of World of Warcraft in Linux depends on this.)
    You might get it to work to some extend, but heavy crashing and quite a lot of performance issues will arise at any time.
    - That the game has been given a bronze status amazed me quite a bit to be honest with crashes that often..

And then again, I'll give a little tip that might solve a few crash problems.
    You might be able to avoid the crash problems if you allow Wine and Xsyon to take up more lines (I believe it's called lines in linux and you need to increase this to 1024 you should know what I'm talking about :P.)
    If that does not work, I doubt anything will.

Perhaps you might want to update the rating and the test results to some more appropriate ones, say newer results :P?

To be able to crash, a game needs to run first. But Xsyon does not even start at all since february, it keeps throwing a Socket error - which only was the case when pressing Enter key before; click on the Login button did work and the game was running fast and flawlessly.

Btw, i am playing Mortal Online, Civ 4/5, Eve, DDO and a couple of others without any problems - all of them are using DirectX.

I would not blame wine that easily. The whole thing is too complex to make it such a simple assumption. E.g. wine developers have difficulties to mimic certain erroneous behavior of the genuine win api, which can break applications if they are silently depending on that particular "bug".

heres are far as i got with xsyon on linux ---launcher game gets updates, loads client up, Then wamo, winsock error winsock initialization error. I beleave xsyon has a extra set of files wine is missing, when i feel better ill do a trace in windows to see wat files it requires when it switchs from launcher-client. i have over 150 hours into making this work for u linux user's. but i must say , this is a pain in the wazzu to get workin.

Was anyone able to get the game running again?

I tried it the last days, even with some deeper wine traces but i cannot figure out what causes the winsock error.

Maybe a dev has some spare time and can explain what exactly the game tries to do when we hit the connect button? (Yes i'm very optimistic asking this. )

Well only way to know what files xsyon uses between the launcher exiting and the client loading, is to run a trace in windows and see exactly wat files it is using. Obviously Wine is missin sum extra files xsyon needs, Or wine does not have the rite kind of configuration files. Can be a number of things and is extremely pain in the ass to figure out.

Hey there,

i have some potentially good news.

I talked to the Xsyon support team about the problems we have and the responded in a very helpful manner.

Even if they don't support the game on the linux (mac) platform officially, they will have a look at the problem and maybe, just maybe, that will help us to get the game running again.

As soon as i get some more info, i will post it here.

cya

Once i repair linux ima attempt to assist here where i am, Sxxxxe id like ya to try also. Try the new launcher, Also if your savy with windows, run a trace of the launcher-client and check the files it loads, write them down, Then go into wine and see what its missing and then tinker a bit and add them in. And see if it works. Yea im aware is a very long task to do, but with sum luck we just may get this working. (im helping also as i see the benifits here for all u linux users ) :-)

Hi fatboy21007,
    i have no windows. So we have to wait until the devs tell me whats loaded that could cause the problem.