Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:What Is Combat Like?

I will try and right something constructive in the tweaks section. However, I believe fraps examples of this games melee vs. other games such as darkfall would best serve the devs in illustrating what is missing. I don't want a Darkfall clone of the melee system but I do want it to be at least that good.

If someone has fraps all set up on their computer, please post something like this in the tweaks section. Thanks

We've been constantly changing the combat system and will continue to do so to improve it.

Since players posted those combat videos on YouTube we've made many changes:

The original system was not implemented correctly so armor was not having the proper effect. Now it does.

We fixed targeting of individual body parts so that what you are targeting makes a difference.

We implemented the actual 'hit' to occur at the end of swings so that you can better anticipate and avoid attacks.

We adjusted combat timing based on the ping rate of individual players to better synchronize attacks.

We added stationary attacks versus moving attacks. Stationary attacks will deliver more damage (this will be finished soon).

We added player vs player collision so that players can't run through each other.

A major problem has been performance, which we greatly improved this week. With poor framerate, collision was breaking down and it's hard to time attacks so players end up just clicking away instead of timing and targetting attacks and using the dodge and block commands that we've implemented.

It does still need some work. Right now we're focused on getting the rest of the features out and then we'll spend more time on combat again.

Xsyon, I really appreciate that you commented on my thread and what you have stated about the combat has me very excited!

are there many animals yet in game? I'm running around secret cove looking for someone or something to try the combat tweaks on.
    Thanks!

There are about 2000 critters running around right now, so you should be able to find something to kill.

yeah, animals in Xsyon dont just spawn in a spot and stay...

I've always encountered critters when traveling any distance...last time I tried to travel from west side of lake to north along the frontage road...I got ganked by a herd of mule deer LOL...it was fun...but i died :P

sweet, just found a baby bear (or it found me rather). Combat felt great! I didn't try it before the patches but it was smooth and animations looked good. I killed the bear so maybe I'm biased. :P Can't wait to test more, keep up the good work!

Virtus let me kick his ass in the interest of doing an up to date video of combat. Unfortunately it went a bit dark after I compressed it, cos it was night, but you should still be able to see it okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJPTd7S-lxg

Kinslayer, thank you so much for posting that video! The combat looks good to me. I think they could make the collision detection a bit better, but the animations looked great and fluid.

Was that rubberbanding because of lag?

Nps, I dont mind the combat either. Perhaps stamina should come into it a bit more than it currently does. The collision could be better, it clips you to the side when colliding, I think it should clip you back slightly, as clipping to the side allows you to still pass. We also suspected that occasionally, dodging eliminated the collision detection,and allowed me to pass through Virtus.

Theres no rubberbanding to my knowledge. Are you sure it isnt lag on the video download?

Also, if anyone is watching the video, be sure to select the highest quality, it makes a huge difference. Just pause it until its downloaded, to save waiting for it to stream.

Also, check out the sticky thread "official Xsyon videos", I just put up a heap of others I have made in the past month or so.