Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canoes

Re:Canoes

I think ships would be a great addition. It doesn't require a masters knowledge in chemistry and mettalurgy to make a boat as it does to make effective guns.

and even cannons are essentially a large pipe cast with one end closed. And the earliest ships didnt even have cannons they had ballistas and other siege equipment or were arrow boats.

as for it being a lake they would be sailing on, yes I agree it might seem odd at first thought but have you heard of the battle of lake poyang?

It was a battle in china at around 1363. it was the largest naval engagement in history I believe. Lake poyang is about 1000km squared (surface area) in the dry season which is when that battle took place and lake tahoe is about 496km squared (surface area) on average so it's about half the size, but it would do just fine since I doubt we plan on having tens of thousands of players fighting it out on the water anytime soon.

Ships in this game would definitely ruin its theme.

Maybe the first boats would be something like this:

Coracle

trenixdecease wrote:
    Ships in this game would definitely ruin its theme.
    I must ask. What wouldn't ruin this game's theme in your opinion?

mrcalhou wrote:
    I must ask. What wouldn't ruin this game's theme in your opinion?
    I must ask, what gives you the idea that I've said this somewhere else? Sorry, I just don't want to see bunch of pirates in the game.

I was thinking more like this in the beginning.

Nothing fast, But maybe with a little space for storage.

KeithStone wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:
    Im not really liking the idea of everything being indian styled. I thought this was supposed to be an alternate realm, so why are we all native american all of a sudden?
    there are more types of buildings than just tepees- and when did indians use brick walls?

everything is not indian style as you say- only some things are.

Also, the indians new how to live off the land just as we are trying to do- so it only makes sense to me that some things are influenced by the indian way of life.

I really think you should be playing call of duty- I think you would be a lot happier.
    The indians arent the only race who knew how to live off the land. Why aren't we painting our bodies like Aboriginals then and eating kangaroo and painting in caves. How is it, that we know how to make a teepee, but not just a square tent?

And dont be a smart ass, I dont even like fps games usually, they bore me. Besides that, I'm entitled to my opinion, and dont want this game to be influenced by american indians, cos it doesnt match the lore, however little lore we've been given. So how about you pull your head in instead.

Kinslayer wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:
    Im not really liking the idea of everything being indian styled. I thought this was supposed to be an alternate realm, so why are we all native american all of a sudden?
    there are more types of buildings than just tepees- and when did indians use brick walls?

Also, the indians new how to live off the land just as we are trying to do- so it only makes sense to me that some things are influenced by the indian way of life.

I really think you should be playing call of duty- I think you would be a lot happier.
    The indians arent the only race who knew how to live off the land. Why aren't we painting our bodies like Aboriginals then and eating kangaroo and painting in caves. How is it, that we know how to make a teepee, but not just a square tent?

And dont be a smart ass, I dont even like fps games usually, they bore me. Besides that, I'm entitled to my opinion, and dont want this game to be influenced by american indians, cos it doesnt match the lore, however little lore we've been given. So how about you pull your head in instead.
    Everytime I see Kinslayer post I expect to see a BAC tag in his sig. maybe they're a sub clan of BAC?

You do realize the game takes place in the Tahoe lake basin right? And the indians who were in that area are where the lore comes from right? So why would we have aboriginal influences again?

Some indian tribes also painted their bodies and yes you can make square(ish) tents and round ones too in game and you will probably be able to make quite a few house structures not too far in the future.

I have yet to see a single teepee in game so far. So where were you telling him to pull his head from? Because I think yours might be up there too, only much deeper.

Kinslayer wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:

I guess you haven't seen all of the recipes, there are square tents not only tepees, and there are junk tents made of metal. In my understanding we don't have tents because we are influenced by indians, but because tents are the buildings which is the easiest to build with the materials we have. If I was left out in a forest and had materials from hunting mostly, I would most likely build a tent, though I'm European.

Shrimps wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:

Everytime I see Kinslayer post I expect to see a BAC tag in his sig. maybe they're a sub clan of BAC?

You do realize the game takes place in the Tahoe lake basin right? And the indians who were in that area are where the lore comes from right? So why would we have aboriginal influences again?

Some indian tribes also painted their bodies and yes you can make square(ish) tents and round ones too in game and you will probably be able to make quite a few house structures not too far in the future.

I have yet to see a single teepee in game so far. So where were you telling him to pull his head from? Because I think yours might be up there too, only much deeper.
    And your posts are always completely constructive and dont hold personal insults too right? I guess I just dont like you or Keith, and I dont agree with almost everything you say, so that probably comes out in my posts when Im responding to something you have spurted.

You should read the lore. Have you seen an indian around? How is it we know how to make indian styled things, and not a normal t-shirt, or a chainmail for that matter then? How is it that when I suddenly find myself at Lake Tahoe after armageddon, Im all of a sudden indian? Get real. Theres nothing in the lore to say we are all indians all of a sudden.

@Jadzia, Unfortunately no, I havent had the ability to see the recipes in game. Unfortunately the game demands numbers to be able to build, and most of my guild, though they have pre-ordered, arent too interested in playing another beta, so I havent been able to test construction personally. I have read what others have posted about it, however, and if anyone could, would be great to see some screenies of whats currently being built