Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re:Some ideas for combat

Hey Prokop,
    "Also, the people posting in this thread have no idea what they want."

Is the main reason why I asked the above. Try and help focus the issue or see if we are still in disagreement (again not reading the full thread means it might not be such disagreement). I will do with it what needs to be done and process it when possible.

Thanks for the answers here, I will find out what will happen and make changes later today when I wake up.

- Slow down attack speed
    - better animation, the combat doesn't look fluid
    - don't go for the FPS style combat (aka player skill based) it conflicts with the RPG concept. Many players who plays MMOs would never play an FPS game.

@prokop: I did read every comment, I understood their point of view and respect it, but I don't agree. You should learn what opinion means, and you should learn to respect other people's opinion...if its not beyond your abilities. Try hard and surprise us !

If they did drop fps combat then I would be a lot less interested in the game. I find point and click so mind numbingly boring...

StrontyDog wrote:
    If they did drop fps combat then I would be a lot less interested in the game. I find point and click so mind numbingly boring...
    I agree with you. Not interested in Wow style combat. I want to have more control over my actions.

- Slow swing and swing animations to seem more fluid.

Can't say much besides that untill more stuff is released like ranged and 2h weapons.

But don't go near anything resembling WOW clone MMO's combat. and avoid the infinite sprint and turn DF combat.

I think the only person that doesn't want fps style combat is Jadzia. With this in mind, Jadzia, it would be appreciated if you limit your comments to your own opinion, not what you think "many mmo players" might want, as you clearly don't know or understand what we want. I do respect your opinion, and good for you for being different.

prokop15 wrote:
    Everyone - Let Jooky finished implementing the combat system before we ask for a complete reconstruction of how it works. We have no idea how ranged combat will play into this, and that needs to be considered.
    I believe the thread was started by Virtus asking for feedback, which is what has been offered up by those posting.

I would like to see a combat system that uses the best of FPS and skill based actions. You have to aim, but your skill affects your accuracy, damage, and how much you are affected by outside interference. Your skill affects offense vs defence moves with your opponent.

I would like to see dodge and parry a semi-automatic skill, where in passive mode, it affects the to-hit of the opponent, but using them actively increases those chances, though temporarily reducing your own attack strength.

I have played both FPS and Auto attack style games, I prefer choosing my attacks over letting the computer do it for me. Though there may be times where auto-attack is nice, like when you're laughing so hard you can't hit the right keys.

Jadzia, WoW-style combat has it's place in MMO's but it seems to me that the great majority of people interested in this game are interested in it because it has twitch-style combat. If the combat goes to a WoW type system I would uninstall it from my computer and never look back.

Prokop, I thought the point of this thread was to give suggestions and feedback based on the current system so that they won't have to completely reconstruct it in the future.

Kitsume, I'm torn about your dodge and parry comment. On the one hand I want to dodge and parry to be solely based on player skill. With character skill affecting how far you could move when you dodge and your recovery speed after blocking and parrying, as well as stamina usuage. On the other hand, I think it wouldn't be so bad if having higher dodge and parry skills gives you an automatic chance to block or dodge provided you aren't in the middle of an action. I would be completely against it making your opponent automaticially miss if they were able to hit you [without your character moving (dodging) or performing a parry action.]

Oh, I was just thinking that a successful parry or block could have a chance to increase your opponents recovery speed to provide you with an oppourtunity to counter-attack. Perhaps something similar for dodging to simulate going off-balance for putting too much power into an attack that only hits air (not sure how that could work on a technical aspect).

The point of the above is that higher skills would increase the chances for it to happen and/or the duration. To prove that character skill and player skill don't have to be mutually exclusive as Jadzia keeps suggesting.