Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re:Some ideas for combat

Hi all, i've been lurking for a while, but with the latest patch i've decided to join in the fun. I can't play yet because of some billing issues, but here are my thoughts.

As much as I like M&B combat mechanics it drives me nuts not having full control over where i swing my weapon. I'd much prefer having combat be strafe right + attack = swing right. Obvious you would also need the blocking/parry system to work the same way to counter incoming blows.

In M&B your attack direction is based on what part of your opponents body you're aiming at. Right shoulder = swing right; lower mid = thrust. The problem you run into is when there are multiple players near each other. This confuses the system, and causes a lot of unintended strikes.

In the real world you have control over how wield your weapon so why not in M&B?

billing issues?

If you have access to this then you should be able to play.

Yeah I'm just playing with darkfall right now to see why people don't like Xsyon's current mechanics

With Xsyon, combat is handled mostly with the keyboard 1 and 2 for left and right swing (which is a cool concept in my opinion) but in Darkfall you are able to map combat to the mouse. I have it set up so LMB is attack (swing, shoot, cast), RMB is to block, and pressing the scroll swing alternates my Combat stance/Menu selection.

I'm not sure of any differences between actual combat since I haven't played it, but Xsyon seems like it'd be more about going toe-to-toe and circle strafing each other, and combat movement in Darkfall is more along the lines of wagging the mouse back to constantly move around, like, umm...I think spastic is the right word.

...1 and 2? it is left and right click.

yeah, i just went up against some scumlings and all I was doing was slash slash slash which is exactly what people in Xsyon are complaining about so it doesn't make sense to me.

Xsyon is more about toe to toe circling and moving in for a quick strike. The idea is for combat to be drawn out.

Is it like that in Xsyon? The key mapping said 1 and 2 on the keyboard for swinging. I don't think I actually tried clicking though.

I think it might be both...

It is on the mouse, but you can always go into the binds and change things to what ever you wish.

Yes, you can left and right click the mouse for left and right attacks, parrying and dodging.

gremrod wrote:
    Well, I would like to start off if you're going to do an aim based combat system then the selection of a target to hit them needs to go bye bye.

The thing about what makes M&B combat work well is how the system is built to be a bit slower overall. This makes the melee combat system work very well with the ability to block and attck in different directions.

Since it is slowed down just enough for you to enjoy the fight and able to watch for incoming hits so you can block them and then counter attack.

[Xsyon]

When you go into combat mode nothing changes except you have a reticle. The movement between you and your target seems clunky and spamming all at the same time.

It needs to have that dodge and counter attack direction feeling.

Not sure if I am even explaining it correctly.

But as you can tell I agree with JCatano the M&B type of combat would be awesome for this game.

No one has tried in a MMORPG game. I have heard it can't been done.. Why, I have no real clue. Maybe someone else can explain why or dismiss it.
    I agree with you here, this target system needs to kiss its ass goodbye.

Oh, I didn't know that. I tried assigning it to the mouse buttons but it didn't work. Now I know why.

Since dodging uses one button on the keyboard (according the bindings in the options menu) will there be a way so that we can have it so double tapping one of the movement keys initiates a dodge?