Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re:Some ideas for combat

Its been forever since I played M&B, so I might have to fire it up again and check it, but I dont like the sound of it so much.

In MO, LMB is attack, RMB is block, alt key+LMB is alternate attack. Basically nothing needs to be targetted, you swing in the direction youre facing, so friendly fire happens here too. I think MO had a great combat system in beta, but theyve killed it with overkill, and have destroyed what wasnt really broken to start with.

I personally think if you can offer up a system like that, perhaps offer multiple combat stances as apposed to only 1, you'd be on a winner. The only thing the MO system lacks, is the ability to dual wield and choose your own combinations, like Xsyon currently has LMB for left hand attack, RMB for right hand attack. I think thats a good feature, but it makes blocking more difficult.

I also dont think we particularly need both blocking and dodging, I think blocking would be fine on its own, but I might be alone in that opinion. Perhaps I think that because right now, blocking and dodging seem pointless. Attacks have no limit, so why block? Attacks need to be limited, probably by stamina usage, almost RV style I suppose. RV made stamina a real issue while fighting, if you didnt manage your stamina, you were screwed. In Xsyon currently, I can swing all day and not get tired.

Darkfall melee is basically a twitched based fps knife fight, its all about mouse sensitivity and sprinting.
    Both characters hold down sprint as they twitch around one another, it is fun but not very tactical, its mainly about who can get those important back hits as well as other important factors like weapon rank(huge factor), player stats/skills.

Another thing i've noticed that looks odd with Xyson's combat in the OP's link is when players are very close to one another they seem to run through instead of bouncing of one another and when that close still using arms length attacks look strange.
    If it was possible to change combat styles to close range when players are in close proximity that would look great i think, with moves like shoving instead of blocks, headbutts instead of dodging and perhaps elbows like thai boxing instead of fists would give it a more realistic look and feel.

Would it be technically feasible to change the hit detection to occur on the melee weapon swing arc instead of the target reticule? I think that would go a long way in helping the combat system improve.

@Venciera
    Mount & Blade hit direction can be controlled. It is based on mouse gesture right before you hit the attack key.

-gesture the mouse up then attack = overhead swing
    -gesture the mouse up then block = overhead block

-gesture mouse left then attack = side arc swing
    -gesture mouse left then block = side block

-gesture mouse down then attack = forward thrust
    -gesture mouse left then block = forward thrust block

etc...

@Virtus,
    Check out Mount & Blade: Warband as this version is multiplayer and has the latest combat revisions. The mouse gesturing really adds to timing and tactics. It makes the combat feel very fluid. If Xsyon could implement something close to those, many people would be very pleased.

Virtus...be sure to check out the archery while in DarkFall...it's a blast !!

actually didn't notice a difference between darkfall and xsyon. Still same style of attacking.

also, while in DF , check out underwater swimming....it could be usefull as well.

Virtus wrote:
    actually didn't notice a difference between darkfall and xsyon. Still same style of attacking.
    Try using a two hander. The hit detection is based off of the swing arc. You can hit two people that aren't directly in front of you.

The best way to check it could be to use a polearm for example. It have the biggest arc of them.

Virtus wrote:
    Darkfall's mechanics flow 100x better than Xsyon's and you feel "connected" to it.

As I said before, I'd rather have DF use a bit more tactical approach to melee versus sprinting around in figure eights for PvP, but at least it's very engaging and fun. Ranged combat in DF is very, very good with exception to lots of jumpshooting/jumpcasting when kiting. Not really a fan of that, but it's necessary in order to compete.

Slashing at a newbie mob isn't going to give you a fair look at the overall system, though. You'd need start getting into this type of action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQwfKzV4-E (3-4 months after DF launch / Main engagement starts around 1:45, and 2:45 is when the video gets good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUDM15sA7TY (Very recent)

M&B combat in Xsyon would not work if there were too many hitboxes for the server to process. It might have to be front/back hitboxes like DF has.

All I know is that Xsyon combat is not good at all. It's not engaging. It's clunky. It's not fun. Just being honest.

If I had to make a choice between M&B and DF combat, it would be M&B. DF isn't too far behind, though, and they are working on animations with a new motion-capture studio.

P.S. - The person filming in the first video is not a good PvP'er, so you'll have to forgive his noobness, I guess.

I'm honestly not a fan of Darkfall's combat. Players and mobs can change directions way too fast.