Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re:Some ideas for combat

They need a whole patch to overhaul the melee combat system, range balancing, and movement balance , i see people speccing high dex and they just run way too fast , i think the current system needs to be looked at because people are gonna exploit dex and high running speed like Neocron. The weight system needs to be affecting more and running much slower and it should drain a lot more stamina.

It's not just an overhaul that's required but a complete balancing patch. I think it's completely ridiculous to have a melee only combat game right now, that is not gonna help anyone at all, put some fucking blowpipes in there and bows and arrows already.

Rev, I know you seem to be frustrated with the way the game is now, but could you please adopt a less hostile tone? One thing I learned from teaching is that as soon as someone gets hostile everyone goes on the defensive and then any dialogue is no longer useful or relevent.

This dev team actually seems to be listening to player suggestions and doing what they can to implement things. I would like greater variety too since I almost always play with range weapons when given that option in games.

Rev does mention a good idea among his jibber jabber, the ability to hold your swing. Mortal online implemented this to try and get away from the clickfest combat. The general idea was that if you simply clicked normally/quickly, your swing would be very light and do minimal damage. If you held your button for 2 seconds, the swing would be heavier and do maximum damage, sort of like charging your swing. Perhaps something like this can be looked at?

I still say we need more stamina usage in combat too, stamina currently isnt a factor, and you could fight all day without tiring as far as I can tell. Higher stam drain would call for more tactical fighting.

Yeah I think being able to hold the swing and for attacking requireing stamina would be good ideas.

Higher stamina drain is just a band-aid. It would nicer if there were a secondary stamina bar. This bar would be visible in combat stance only and used for blocking and weapon swings. It would drain and replenish at a much faster rate than the normal stamina bar. If drained completely by spamming weapon swings or holding block too long, it would disable both for a period of time until it replenished to say 15% or 20%.

Savage2 has a great melee system like this. It's worth a look. Free to download and play.

(Edit: If Xsyon had a combat system that took some elements from Mount and Blade, Darkfall, and Savage2 it would be the most epic combat system to date for an MMO).

Derek wrote:
    Higher stamina drain is just a band-aid. It would nicer if there were a secondary stamina bar. This bar would be visible in combat stance only and used for blocking and weapon swings. It would drain and replenish at a much faster rate than the normal stamina bar. If drained completely by spamming weapon swings or holding block too long, it would disable both for a period of time until it replenished to say 15% or 20%.

Savage2 has a great melee system like this. It's worth a look. Free to download and play.

(Edit: If Xsyon had a combat system that took some elements from Mount and Blade, Darkfall, and Savage2 it would be the most epic combat system to date for an MMO).
    I disagree. By doing it this way, it still allows for a person to run away, with full run stamina. In reality, they should be tired from swinging a heavy sword and unable to run. We dont have 2 different types of stamina, only 1, so why should swinging a weapon use a different kind of stamina than running?

yes currently combat doesn't drain your energy enough.

Kinslayer wrote:
    I disagree. By doing it this way, it still allows for a person to run away, with full run stamina. In reality, they should be tired from swinging a heavy sword and unable to run. We dont have 2 different types of stamina, only 1, so why should swinging a weapon use a different kind of stamina than running?
    It's called burst stamina. Savage2 has this implemented in a very nice way. You should give it a try because it's free to play, free to download. There is a burst sprint ability which drains from this secondary stamina bar as well so you can't run away very easily if you drain it completely.

Derek wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    It's called burst stamina. Savage2 has this implemented in a very nice way. You should give it a try because it's free to play, free to download. There is a burst sprint ability which drains from this secondary stamina bar as well so you can't run away very easily if you drain it completely.
    Nope, still disagree. Without trying it, and Im very unlikely to try it, it sounds more confusing and complicated than it needs to be. One stamina, if youre tired, your tired, that simple.

Kinslayer wrote:
    Nope, still disagree. Without trying it, and Im very unlikely to try it, it sounds more confusing and complicated than it needs to be. One stamina, if youre tired, your tired, that simple.
    That's very close minded of you. If you don't want to even attempt to take a look at other combat systems, how can you be so sure that your opinion is actually the best option out there?

It's actually very simple and smooth. Visual indicators make it very easy to see how it works.

I wouldn't mind having the combat stamina bar as the only stamina bar and get rid of the regular stamina bar which is really just a hassle more than anything else.

IMO, keep the hunger and thirst bars, get rid of the "long term" stamina bar, and implement a combat stamina bar that drains and replenishes faster. Use it for sprint burst, weapon swing, and blocking.