Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re:Some ideas for combat

- Slow down attack speed
    - better animation, the combat doesn't look fluid
    - don't go for the FPS style combat (aka player skill based) it conflicts with the RPG concept. Many players who plays MMOs would never play an FPS game.

@prokop: I did read every comment, I understood their point of view and respect it, but I don't agree. You should learn what opinion means, and you should learn to respect other people's opinion...if its not beyond your abilities. Try hard and surprise us !

I've got a gut feeling that the dev team is engaged in heavy debate over whether or not to commit to another major combat revision before release. This may be why we haven't seen any feedback posted from Virtus or Kiwibird.

This is understandable since the suggestions we have posted would take a significant amount of development time. (New animations, new coding, testing and tweaking). I really hope they go for it and delay the game to get the combat right.

All speculation of course

no feed back from me because I don't have any :-P

As far as what they plan I don't know until it's actually done (and tested) then Jooky asks me to give it a quick once over to see if I notice anything they missed.

As for commenting on your suggestions or adding my own, it's ultimately your game so I stay out of it and let you guys decide on what you want.

I have yet to add my opinion, I wanted to see what the other 15 pages filled up with first. I do agree combat needs some work, it's cumbersome, difficult, and tiresome. Let's have a look at combat from a broad perspective shall we? Let's say we have a player that only has 2 fingers on their left hand, arthritis, or carpel tunnel even. Perhaps we have some young people that want to play the game, their keyboard skills may not be the best. The current combat system does NOT allow for them to take part in any combat whether it be PvP or animal hunting. Hopefully with a combat overhaul it will have better animations, slower combat actions, and less keyboard manipulation requirement is really big one in my opinion.

tredo wrote:
    I have yet to add my opinion, I wanted to see what the other 15 pages filled up with first. I do agree combat needs some work, it's cumbersome, difficult, and tiresome. Let's have a look at combat from a broad perspective shall we? Let's say we have a player that only has 2 fingers on their left hand, arthritis, or carpel tunnel even. Perhaps we have some young people that want to play the game, their keyboard skills may not be the best. The current combat system does NOT allow for them to take part in any combat whether it be PvP or animal hunting. Hopefully with a combat overhaul it will have better animations, slower combat actions, and less keyboard manipulation requirement is really big one in my opinion.
    mount and blade style combat to me seems to be a good option, every game I've ber played online- people talk about mount and blade and how much they love the combat.

It's a very simple concept- 1 key to block (shields block everything, and without a shield you block with the blade of your weapon), 1 key to swing, it's slow compared to other games, but imo it's the most realistic combat I've seen so far in any game. Archery is awesome with M&B- the better your skill with archery the more accurate your cursor allows you to be. Archery is slower than melee and crossbows are even slower- which solves the balance issue. And, even though at some point it will be possible to craft or find modern weapons, as long as they are extremely rare and even harder to get ammo, you fix another balance issue that makes archery and crossbows still viable.

One of the things that makes combat seem very clunky right now is the way 3rd person is handled. If you zoom all the way in you are staring at the back of your toons head, which makes it impossible to use a close up view to try and gauge more accuracy with combat.

tredo wrote:
    They did state that this game is for a more mature audience. Not so that a 12 year old will be able to sit down and learn it in half a day. Those that are impaired but mature I get. The young ones they can up their game.

I see a problem in the whole dodge/parry area. I find it hard to see how we are to use these or I am just not getting the whole manual dodge/parry and in general combat. (I just swing my axes like a maniac)

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    I see a problem in the whole dodge/parry area. I find it hard to see how we are to use these or I am just not getting the whole manual dodge/parry and in general combat. (I just swing my axes like a maniac)
    the problem I see with the dodge/parry is you have to take your hand off the wasd keys to hold the alt key down, it is going to make dodge/parry clumsy to use.

you can change the binds Keith

double post.

Derek wrote:
    I've got a gut feeling that the dev team is engaged in heavy debate over whether or not to commit to another major combat revision before release. This may be why we haven't seen any feedback posted from Virtus or Kiwibird.

This is understandable since the suggestions we have posted would take a significant amount of development time. (New animations, new coding, testing and tweaking). I really hope they go for it and delay the game to get the combat right.

All speculation of course
    they've already said they are going to put more into combat before the game launches once they get other projects out of the way. I'll see if I can find the post again.