Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Some ideas for combat

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/6-genera...start=20#31617

referencing the first video it appears that the target does not need to be targeted in any way for a strike to count, the sword just needs to cross the path of the other character

In Xsyon however, the target must be highlighted and the reticule be over them for a hit the register.

Re: Some ideas for combat

This doesn't seem accurate to me. I distinctly recall beating up animals without having them highlighted (fairly recently, like in the past week or two). I can remember this because I was frustrated that I didn't have them highlighted and I couldn't see their health. But I was hearing hits and eventually the animal fled.

I'll try to confirm this later if I can find something to kill.

Re:Some ideas for combat

Well, I would like to start off if you're going to do an aim based combat system then the selection of a target to hit them needs to go bye bye.

The thing about what makes M&B combat work well is how the system is built to be a bit slower overall. This makes the melee combat system work very well with the ability to block and attck in different directions.

Since it is slowed down just enough for you to enjoy the fight and able to watch for incoming hits so you can block them and then counter attack.

[Xsyon]

When you go into combat mode nothing changes except you have a reticle. The movement between you and your target seems clunky and spamming all at the same time.

It needs to have that dodge and counter attack direction feeling.

Not sure if I am even explaining it correctly.

But as you can tell I agree with JCatano the M&B type of combat would be awesome for this game.

No one has tried in a MMORPG game. I have heard it can't been done.. Why, I have no real clue. Maybe someone else can explain why or dismiss it.

Cunk wrote:
    This doesn't seem accurate to me. I distinctly recall beating up animals without having them highlighted (fairly recently, like in the past week or two). I can remember this because I was frustrated that I didn't have them highlighted and I couldn't see their health. But I was hearing hits and eventually the animal fled.

Good point Cunk. I have recently killed animals without having them selected.

I think maybe we really needs some more feed back when we hit something. Like a scream or ouch sound when someone or something is hit. Also give use a window that shows some type of combat information, i.e. You hit X for X amount of damage and vise-versa.

Well you already do hear a sound and sometimes a growl or yelp of pain (from animals anyway). At the very least having the last animal/person you hit get automatically highlighted so you can see their health and stamina stats at the top of the screen would help.

Re:Some ideas for combat

Been doing some testing and this is what I have come up with.

Swings should hit what ever is in front without requiring highlighting or targeting, as I referenced above.

moving the mouse up and down should allow for striking lower or higher. So aiming low would do a downward angled swing and aiming high would do a upward angle swing.

Cunk wrote:

I should of said highlighted. I was playing around with this today.

In other words if I swing it does some sort of check to see if anything is there, if it is it does damage to it. It would be like having the weapon doing the job of the reticule (detecting who is there etc)

An M&B style combat would be very nice and suit this game to a T imo.
    Friendly fire is a must also, as it creates that extra need for teamplay so everyone doesent slice each other up as well as the opponent.

I've not come across anything to fight as yet however, so my views are redundant really, but the first thing that hits me is the strafing, if that could look more fluid it would make combat sexier to watch!

I'm DLing both darkfall and M&B and going to try them both out.

Virtus which server are you downloading for Darkfall. I'm playing on a trial and have one of the wolf things on the NA server.