Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re:Modern Weapons - Really?

I feel Xsyon's combat could benefit a lot from ranged combat with bows and guns. If you make it difficult to use bows, and give guns slow reload times along with expensive/rare ammo things should balance out. Either way melee combat should be more powerful than ranged.

I envision fighters shooting from a short range, then engaging in hand to hand combat. That would be lots of fun.

With guns being rare it'll add a bit of hesitation before each fight.

Does he have a gun? If he does, does he even have ammo for it? Is he willing to waste his ammo to protect what he has with him?
    If he is willing to use his precious ammo to defend his belongings how valuable are they?

However profficiencies should play a large role in the accuracy and damage of bows or thrown spears etc.

Shrimps wrote:
    However profficiencies should play a large role in the accuracy and damage of bows or thrown spears etc.
    With the manual aim system I don't think that accuracy should be determined by to-hit rolls.

While I would usually agree with you, I would say that in order to make specialization viable you need to have some degree of drift or inaccuracy to the arrow unless you practice with it and get the skill up.

Someone who has never used a bow should not be able to pick it up and use it to the same range and accuracy as someone with some skill with it. Otherwise there is no reason at all to skill with it and specialization becomes pointless. It wouldn't have to be a huge margin of inaccuracy but just enough that it is noticable and effects combat. Having skill just affect damage wouldn't make much sense and unless the damage difference is going to be substantial such as 10-60 I don't really see the point.

I think both range and accuracy should increase with skill just as it would in life. They would both also be dependant on the bow of course.

Shrimps,

I agree that skill should play a part in how you handle your weapon. I also think that damage should be dependent on skill also. When it comes to accuracy though, instead of a to-hit roll it could be your weapon sways some as you try to aim it. And as you gain skill you are able to aim more and more steadily. That's the way I'd do it so it gives the players the feeling of being in control. Games with to-hit rolls have their place, but I don't like it in a manual aim game.

I'm not sure where you get to hit roll from, I certainly never mentioned it.

I'm talking about your bow being unsteady while pulled back and moving at lower skill, Your arrows having a degree of sway and moving off target a bit after firing at lower skill.

I could see damage being affected greatly by skill for spears or thrown weapons but much less on bows.

REVKhA wrote:
    This game needs hackers, fixers, reppers, maintenance, pokers, scouts.

Mini games and lowtech/hightech stuff .

Seriously if this game turns out in a `dance around fires' kind of faggotry i'll be leaving quick. This is a fucking open world pvp game, a true open sandbox.

Stop trying to turn it into hello kitty online with wow lore.
    I think everyone wants PvP. But we dont want a even worse version of Fallen Earth or Fall Out.

I dont understand how the location will work out for us. I mean if I were to get that weapon in the concept art drawing, which looked like a cheap knock off of the L85A2 (SA80) assault rifle with a extended barrel, or maybe the LSW version. Eitherway, I cant imagine ammo being too hard to come across if it becomes craftable. Much like they said in Fallen Earth, "guns will be powerful, but ammo will be rare."... 1 month after release, you couldnt go 10ft without finding someone selling ammo for any gun.

Modern Weapons? ok BUT...

Nicely done artwork. However, it's not showing that the rifle is actually a club since she has no ammunition for it.

If you find whole weapons there is a very good chance it's broken or empty and was dropped on purpose. Even if you find one you won't have the skill to use it without shooting yourself.

Then we come to the question of ammunition - Has anyone seen any bats flying around? Can't make gunpowder without Salt Peter. No scales to measure power to put in the cartridges. The list can go on forever.

I loved the way Fallen Earth did the skill, When you went to aim, You could see the sway and moving off target, It was done great in that game. The more skill points the more steady your hand became.

I kind of wanted the guns to be done in the style of either slow loading hunting rifles or "western" rifles. As another posted, it would be great to give bows a hard to use quality but make them way quicker reloading, while a rifle should have more power but be much slower. I also don't really want to see ammo as craftable. I know it is possible and people do it but then the game would turn to FE, where everyone has a gun. I personally would much prefer if I have a gun to have it be precious to me and only bring it out when I need to. No matter what, I never want to see machine guns, that would simply be overkill. Adding single shot rifles/pistols would still give melee a chance to charge, I just cant imagine attacking a village where every member has an AK47 and we are mostly melee based.

Fallen Earth did some gun combat correctly but made the mistake of making ammo far too easy to acquire. I produced ammo by the truckload, which is possible I suppose but really ruined the experience for me. This is a survival post apoc, not mad max.