Ashanti wrote:
Also, although this will not be an issue for the Nomads since we are a 100% RP tribe who, for immersion purposes, will only use text-based chat as our standard mode of communication, but what do you think about tribes and people who prefer to use vent? Wouldn't vent sort of render your whole suggestion moot? In other words, how can this be implemented so that everyone will find it equally fun and useful? Or are you suggesting this as an optional use only?
Ventrillo and other such programs would really only render internal chat (tribal talk) pretty much moot, and i reckon it's going to be used a fair amount of either way (unless each tribe starts telling people to jump onto their vent/xfire/etc channel when meeting up, which doesnt seem like something they would do.

The whole fun of Languages and such is not only the immersive factor but it also introduces the possibility for a real essence of diplomacy, spying, large combat scenarios (aka, The enemy wont be able to find out what tactics you've got going if their own spies don't understand your language..adding in the ability to have an advantage over your enemy).

The idea probably couldn't be optional, due to how it needs to fit in with normal communication and modify a large aspect of it. If it was implemented as an optional thing only, then i see it only being used lightly and eventually becoming obsolete over time.

This really just adds in and touches on a concept most MMO's dont take in, and typically most MMORPG's end up becoming the usual skill based, level up, grind grind games that i tend to stay far away from. This is something that could make Xsyon unique as it's already picking up on a rare niche...Wilderness Survival.
There are no starting towns and no NPC's so far and i really dont want to see any. A fully player run orientated game would be awesome.

This is something that could make Xsyon popular in the Indie department.

Kinslayer wrote:
I guess it depends on your RP. The Audacian Republic's RP does not comply with this suggestion, not that that would matter particularly to us, because all other tribes are barbarian to us anyway

I like the suggestion, but I cant see this being anything that will be put in, because it would have to be in for Prelude start, and it sounds like a lot of work that would consume a lot of time, and I doubt Jooky will be wanting to do that.
Kin, I dont see a roman stlye faction fitting in with a post-apocalyptic north american region but that's just my honest opinion :P .

I'm not a code pro in any shape or form, but i dont believe this will be tremendous amounts of work. A slight change to the social tab on the UI, code to transform entered text in the chat box to a random but clean set of words (This is the End ---> Nayt il der Net) which if another client understands, is transformed into crystal clear english and code for adding language groups (names) which adds player names to that group and their level of comprehension (as before, unknown/adept/novice/master/fluent-native). But what do i know eh? B)

Thanks for the feedback both of you, much appreciated. :laugh:

Edit: If you wanted to create a tribe and name your language English or Latin or Dutch etc, theres no reason you shouldnt be able to. You could spread the language and everyone can end up using it, the possibilities are endless!