Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFK switch

AFK switch

Sometimes in game its not easy to tell who is afk. I would like to propose an afk switch. If a character doesn't have an input action the from the user within X number of minutes, the client assumes the user is afk and makes the character kneel, much like scavenging or foraging or gathering without the hand movements. Just simply kneeling would let us know that person is afk.

Re: AFK switch

Agree, and afk switch would be handy.

I'd like to suggest another switch, appearing offline...players sometimes don't feel like being social, and since there are no alts in the game, it would be nice to get an option to play alone in peace. The switch could be set before logging out, so by the next login the player appears offline till he/she doesn't switch it on.

Jadzia wrote:

I'd like to suggest another switch, appearing offline...players sometimes don't feel like being social, and since there are no alts in the game, it would be nice to get an option to play alone in peace. The switch could be set before logging out, so by the next login the player appears offline till he/she doesn't switch it on.

I'm not sure what you mean, but this isn't a single player game...it's an MMO. You dont have to be social, just tell people to leave you be, and not talk to folks. I dont think we need a game mechanic to encourage anti-social behavior...just be anti-social.

or am I mistaking what you mean here?

Like MSN status of 'away' or 'appear offline' it lets social people around you know that you aren't at the computer and cant reply because of it, not because you are trying to be anti-social.

Or it allows you to do work without the interruptions if you need to do something really quick then run to work.

Deacon wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean, but this isn't a single player game...it's an MMO. You dont have to be social, just tell people to leave you be, and not talk to folks. I dont think we need a game mechanic to encourage anti-social behavior...just be anti-social.

Antisocial

1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;

2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personel profit or pleasure;

3. Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;

4. Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;

5. Reckless disregaurd for safety of self or others;

6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;

7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;

8. Promiscuity

9. Having shallow or seemingly nonexistent feelings.

Deacon wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:

What kiwibird said, like when you have 10 minutes to jump in the game then have to log out, or when you are tired to chat and just want to craft or fish or kill in quiet...its kind of rude for me to tell people to leave me alone in these cases, perhaps its just me. And to repeat it to all of the 5-10 or more friends who greet you when you log in is bugging, especially when you don't feel like talking. I know people in games who make alts to play when they don't feel like chatting in their guild chat or meeting their friends.

MSN is a good example, its for communication still you can appear offline to your friends.
    My first MMO had this feature and I missed it in every game I played since then, though the social aspect of MMOs are one of the main reason I play them.

Re:AFK switch

It could be a simple as the way we had it in EQ2, When you wanted to be left alone for what ever reason. You went AFK, but in eq2 you could do that and leave a msg. Like
    /AFK Hey guys, Sorry I had a bad day and want be on that long. Just want to sit here fishing a little and drink me a beer. Chat with you all tomorrow.
    And you would get the AFK over your head, and if someone sent you a tell, Your msg would reply back to them instantly with out you having to do anything.

AFK over the head should be outlawed. That is troll territory. I do however like the message autoresponse being sent when someone privates you.

[edit]
    I do like the ATITD method of /afk. When you enter the mode you are forced to sit down on the ground and any interaction with another player (other than chat) is blocked.

Sure, but why not get the idea out in the open anyway?

Illmaculate wrote:
    I'm eagerly awaiting the next thoughtful suggestion topic. You guys are geniuses.

Why do you need an afk switch? Just go afk...

And an appear offline mode doesn't lend itself well to an open-world, looting game. You're suggesting you can just appear offline and no one can contact you, or know you're even online?

The entire point is the constant threat of being killed and looted. There is no escape for you.

Dude Noone said it had to be in right away. Everyone seen your point. If most people want then it should be considered later on in the game.