Trees and the way they grow...

Just curious, has anyone noticed if trees respawn on the stumps if you don't destroy the stump? Do trees respawn if you do destroy the stump? Do trees spawn in random locations?

Re: Trees and the way they grow...

The tree stump 'dies' in the real world, and in order for a new tree to grow there you'd need to remove the stump left..

Given those facts.
    I think you can assume the stump left doese not regenerate. I could imagine that trees grow randomly, but has a higher chance near other trees due to nuts, spores or how they like to reproduce not having to travel too far (risking damage to the seed.)

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    The tree stump 'dies' in the real world, and in order for a new tree to grow there you'd need to remove the stump left..
    Thats not entirely correct. Most Australian natives actually regrow from the stump. If you want to get rid of a big tree, you usually have to poison the stump after you have cut it down, or remove the stump entirely. Im sure its not only Australian natives that behave in this way, but couldnt comment for sure, but in my experience, any evergreen will regrow from the stump.

I don't think that applies to northern europe trees.
    The stump will still be alive, yeah, it only sort of 'dies' in the way that a new tree won't sprout in its place, it may sprout next to it, but not on it (which isn't true either, they can make a hollow end and have roots around the old stump). In short, stumps can't be used as soil for a new tree and a new twig won't sprout from the old stump and become a new one tree.

Why I cannot say for sure, but it has something to do with how 'hard' the wood is.

It is not that I actually study the Scandinavian trees that much, it is just what we have been taught during those pleasant geography classes.

Re:Trees and the way they grow...

in the game trees in a zone will start respawning after a certain number are cut down, i've tried clear cutting xD
    i think the stumps need to be removed as well

Trees can regrow from the stump. Not from the middle but sprout off the sides like a branch and eventually beacome a full grown tree again.

Then whats the point of the stump in the game? We can't use them, Right? So if thats not at lest one of the ways for trees to grow in this game, I'm not sure way he made it where the stump was left after the cutting.