Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next wipe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Next wipe

Xsyon wrote:
    Not so great news: As we're fixing all of this it will take us longer to patch out the next update. The heavy lag spikes and zone crossing crashes seem to have been eliminated. We're wrapping up the teleporting fixes and still revising the terrain loading system. This is taking a while as it requires changes in our terrain editor and terrain baking system in addition to the server and the client.

Please wipe the terrain as well, so we know if this new/modified system is gonna work. Not to mention, every time you do an item wipe...you wipe the dirt I've saved and placed in bins, which is needed...but the dirt quarry is still in used condition, so no ability to replace the lost dirt.

Re:Next wipe

I don't agree with wiping the terrain but the dirt being wiped is an interesting concept. We do need the dirt to be able to change terrain if we so please..

With changes to the terrain loading, terrain editor, and terrain baking systems, i'd hate to have something slip thru to launch because we didnt test it first.

But I do understand your hesitation, as you guys put alot of work into your city.

If you have made changes to the terra-forming or construction / architecture type systems then i think you should wipe everything... Every change needs to be fully tested.. this is a beta after all, so you should not get attached to anything.

Which is why I've recommend the restriction on terraforming for now Amadeusz .

I'd honestly prefer a terrain wipe too. I think it would be the most sound wipe actually (due to the problems with hidden terrain).
    It would also, remove the problem with dirt in bags that we can't replace or which we can't replace in time.

You can always redo what you've built , but it's hard to undo what you've made.

There is much more that can be terraformed, therefor tested. Construction has yet to be in game at all, so that can not be used as ammunition to levy for a terrain wipe as we do not know whether it will affect anything that is currently in game. I would recommend leaving the terrain as it is, put in the new systems, if there is an issue you can always wipe later. I would think that a wipe of terrain is a fairly simple task.

Wipe it all. You don't test new code on a slate with piles of junk already on it. Clean it and get a look at the new code relations from the root.

Beta attachment is not an option with regard to coding a good game.

JCatano wrote:
    Wipe it all. You don't test new code on a slate with piles of junk already on it. Clean it and get a look at the new code relations from the root.

Beta attachment is not an option with regard to coding a good game.
    I'm with you on this- I'm not really understanding the reasoning as to why the terrain will not be wiped as well.

I haven't decided if we need to wipe or not yet. This will depend on our changes and tests this weekend. We're not done with the terrain system changes yet.

Basically, if we can, I first want to test with the current terraforming changes as the built up changes affect crossing terrain and teleporting which have both been revised.

However, if the changes we're making conflict with the current terraforming files, we'll have to wipe. We'll see.

Xsyon wrote:
    I haven't decided if we need to wipe or not yet. This will depend on our changes and tests this weekend. We're not done with the terrain system changes yet.

Basically, if we can, I first want to test with the current terraforming changes as the built up changes affect crossing terrain and teleporting which have both been revised.

However, if the changes we're making conflict with the current terraforming files, we'll have to wipe. We'll see.
    Internal tests I'm guessing... not ours?