Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Levelling hiding

Currently hiding is leveled by just hit hide over and over again. Not the most exciting thing todo tbh. A better way to do this might be to only be able to gain xp in it when you are hidden and in normal detection range of a mob/non friendly player. But to stop 2 ppl just going up to eachother and just remaining hidden for x hours until they have maxed out the level some kind of limit should be placed so taht you can only gain a max of say 5 points from any 1 player. I'd also suggest that standing in the shadows or at night should give a bonus to your current hide ability while standing in the sun should give a penalty.

Also I'd suggest that your hunting skill gives you a bonus when hiding vs animals. As I'm hoping that hunting passive animals eg deer will be a case of getting up close to them without being seen rather than getting close enough for them to see you and charge..

Re:Levelling hiding

Every skill is raised by doing it over and over again. Hiding just takes less time. I raised hiding and fishing at the same time.

Hiding doesnt effect NPCs, so you cant really hide around them.

I have 80 points in hiding, and it really doesnt even effect players either because of gama. People adjust their gamma...eliminating the hiding effect, just like they do to eliminate darkness effects. So it's basically a usless skill, except for the quiet walk which you get with 5 points.

How you see your character in hiding is not how other characters see you. There seems to be different variables that affect how well you are hidden from others.

Perception vs skill seems to be one variable. Distance and time of day seem to be other variables. There is also the transparency factor. A partially transparent character may be harder to spot if they position themselves with good cover and the right background, where a mostly transparent character who does not pay attention to their surroundings will be easier to spot.

Strategy will be a factor with hiding in Xsyon.

Hiding will be exploited to death, it already is. I think it's a shitty ass skill right now, there needs to be a cool time period before hiding again (120 seconds at least)

who has high enough hiding skill to turn transparent?

Here are some examples of viewing another character that is hidden with a high hiding skill. These screenshots were taken before the big update patch.

The center character on the screen is not the hidden character but the perceiving character. These shots are enhanced from night time screenshots to be able to make out the details.

Hider skill = 73 vs. Viewing character perception = 10
    hint:Hidden character is to the right and very close

Hider skill = 73 vs. Viewing character perception = 70
    hint:Hidden character is to the left and fairly close

Hider skill = 73 vs. Viewing character perception = 80
    Hint:Hidden character is to the left near the edge

All of these shots show against dark backgrounds. Against lighter backgrounds the hider is a little more visible.

Haha I had no idea it was that ridiculous. You can actually tell we're they are supposed to be by the shadow spot on the ground.

Hopefully he can make it so the effectiveness of the hiding skill reduces exponentially depending on distance. There's no way someone that close should be invisible (without supernatural means). I kind of like the idea of being essentially invisible if you're 50 yards away, standing still, and maybe have some partial cover. But the pics above are way overkill.

Of course, if you have your gamma turned up at night, are not moving and have time to look for that shadow, you might spot it. How quickly did you notice the shadow?

When I get a chance, I'll post the unaltered screenshot, where the shadow is extremely hard to see. Hidden characters do not throw a shadow in the daylight, by the way.

Oh, and a moving hidden character is easier to spot.

Here is an example with the hider at 73 vs perception of 30, but with less than optimal background.

shadow was the first thing i noticed but that's because I'm used the the mechanics I think.

Yeah, that's insane.

I think any movement from the hiding character should cancel out the hiding. I mean, how can someone be hiding in the open right in front of you, and be running toward you, and you still cant see them?

Pretty cool though, just not practical.