With all the discussion and arguing regarding PvP rules and consequences, is there already a post made by the developers regarding how they envision PvP, and by extension the economy, to work?

I was hoping that they would implement a system that is reminiscent of Eve-online:

High equipment turnover, necessary crafting materials for higher end gear that are only found in certain, limited, locations, and the need to fight over control of these areas.

Situational balance of player roles: Older characters get access to more and different equipment, but not necessarialy "better." That is, new players can fly frigates and perform support roles, but their damage to larger vessels is minimal. And larger ships that can't be piloted by newer players have a harder time hitting the smaller ships. This way there is always a use for somebody regardless of their character age or stat level.

Variation in weaponary. This is basically for the same reason as the above point. New, different, but not necessarialy better. Just different. Also, stronger, higher-tiered weapons ARE stronger, but only marginally so. The difference can make a difference, but wouldn't always do so. This weapons also require much, much rarer materials to make. So the cost to use might not be worth it, in light that they could be destroyed or looted during combat.

I would envision a game that is spread out horizontally with regard to the spread of skills, and items, such that it looks like this (Edit: It doesn't format it spread out like I typed it):
......|
-------
| | | | | |

There is still character growth and development. The character can do MORE things. But the character isn't necessarily becoming more powerful. Yeah, the bigger ships, that take time for players to be able to use, can do more damage, but they also have a harder time actually hitting smaller vessels. This means that they can be used for different roles. Small vessels are used to damage small vessels, or debuff larger ones. Larger vessels are used to damage other large vessels.

To compare this to Darkfall, in that game one of the things people complain about is that vets are too powerful. I've played the game and character and item growth is like climbing a ladder. You become more and more powerful but you still occupy the same role. Items only increase in power, not so much in utility. Growth in that game looks like:

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

This model is good for single player games, but not so much for a game that has competitive aspects like an MMO.

What I'm trying to get at is that there are examples of games that work, like Eve-online, and games that don't really work that well, like Darkfall. Both games have their pro's and con's. As much as I love the systems in Eve, the point and click combat is so mind-numbingly boring to me that I can't bring myself to play it. Whereas, I like Darkfall's combat, but I don't see any long-term reasons to play. The economy is dead.