Progressional Crafting System

I think the crafting system at the moment is pretty stale. It should be more progressional. So to change that, all craftable items and structures should be assigned to a certain level. Patterns will still have a skill level requirement in order for them to be learned. Patterns will also have colored names to represent their skill level.

Anyway, the low level crafts will be the easy crafts to make (require little resources that are easy to find), but they eventually will become unrewarding. With that in mind, the higher level crafts will be the crafts that are more difficult to make (require many resource which are difficult to find), but they will be more rewarding. In addition, these levels will determine the probability for a player to earn a skill point in that craft.

Craft Levels
    These colors would appear on the item/structure's text.

Gray- You're way above the level required. You have no chance of getting a skill point.

Green- You're slightly above the level required. You have a 25% chance of getting a skill point.

Yellow- You're around the same level as the craft. You have a 50% chance of getting a skill point.

Orange- You're slightly below the level required. You have a 75% chance of getting a skill point.

Red- You're below the level required. You have a 5% chance of getting a skill point.

Purple- You're way below the level required. Only patterns can be this color to indicate that it cannot be learned until you reach a higher skill level with your craft.

As your skill level goes up in the craft, the colors will change depending on the levels assigned to the crafts.

Re:Progressional Crafting System

trenixdecease wrote:
    Please refer to World of Warcraft's crafting system...
    You might be playing the wrong game....

travdoty wrote:
    You might be playing the wrong game....
    What does that have anything to do with anything? I'm referring to their "crafting" system.

I like your suggestion. I think it'd be foolish to allow players to hit the maximum crafting levels through crafting only the basic items of that group.

I would not have mentioned World of Warcraft since that game causes such a knee jerk reaction from most non-wow players.

mrcalhou wrote:
    I think it'd be foolish to allow players to hit the maximum crafting levels through crafting only the basic items of that group.
    I definitely agree. I've updated my post to sound more clear and appropriate for this game.

Aside from the color coding, we have most of this system in place.

The level of many objects (such as all tools and weapons) need to be revised as does the amount of gain in proportion to the level of the recipe. In general, however, what you described above is working. It will be more visible after we revise the craft schemes.

Xsyon... I think crafting is ok so far. From what I understand is a players starting craft professions can learn new crafts once in game, and once actually finding the required recipes to begin that field of craft... ie.. level 5 recipe of (whatever) Which is based on ones perception, and intelligence when scavenging along with the chance to find recipes.

So my concern of this is... How available will be lower tier recipes? I think lower tier recipes should be very, very, very, rare. Which I have never found a low tier recipe yet.. Since this concept would allow one to go off into another craft field.. This might even be able to promote trade with recipes of value..

So in my thoughts... The lower the level recipe the more valuable they would be, vs higher tier being more common and of lessor value...

Could you elaborate more on this please?

I think the crafting system is kinda bad right now. I would like to see a more complex system like Vanguards. Would make crafting alot more interesting. It seems to be a complex game and that kind of system would fit perfectly in this game. It would also prevent everyone from being a top crafter. You would actually have to work at it. It is probably to late to impliment something like this now. But if it could be changed a little It would be nice. I already have heard of a few people who wont sub after release cause there is nothing to the crafting system as of now.