Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:[Combat] Dodge/Parry

Derek wrote:
    Illmaculate wrote:
    This would be a good idea if you wanted the game to take zero skill.
    Pretty much this. The less passive/random dice rolling in combat, the better.
    I totally agree. Also, everyone seems confused as to what is actually in game. There is no parrying in game, there is manual blocking, and manual dodging.

trenixdecease wrote:
    All I'm saying is that the current system doesn't really add too much skill into the combat, if any. Sure, you can do a bit more, but it's just annoying more than entertaining. I find it rather pointless and easy to master. Also, it's not very user friendly for newcomers.
    having a percent or chance roll takes even more skill away from things. Also you seem pretty sure of yourself master warrior

Xx1327 wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    All I'm saying is that the current system doesn't really add too much skill into the combat, if any. Sure, you can do a bit more, but it's just annoying more than entertaining. I find it rather pointless and easy to master. Also, it's not very user friendly for newcomers.
    having a percent or chance roll takes even more skill away from things. Also you seem pretty sure of yourself master warrior
    You click a button at a certain time, congratulations. That makes you a master warrior. Now go tell everyone so they could all figure out that the current system isn't a real skill, its just annoying.

trenixdecease wrote:
    Xx1327 wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    You click a button at a certain time, congratulations. That makes you a master warrior. Now go tell everyone so they could all figure out that the current system isn't a real skill, its just annoying.
    LMAO Maybe you should fight a few players before you decide how "easy" it is.

all a game is made of is pressing buttons here and there xD
    so no game takes any skill ever

Xx1327 wrote:
    all a game is made of is pressing buttons here and there xD
    so no game takes any skill ever
    I never said that, but two different countering buttons don't really phase a game so much. All they did was make dodging and parrying be controlled. Seems like an unnecessary feature that doesn't even look good with the combat. The one thing I extremely hate about this game, is its unappealing combat.

Pressing Ctrl and a mouse button to dodge a certain direction looks pretty stupid. Selecting a direction for your dodge also seems very unstable. Sorry, but it just isn't working out. Sometimes it's a good idea to take successful MMORPGs by example, especially since they're built off of a combat system. Instead, you're taking combat systems from other low quality sandbox games that really never made it anywhere.

Like for example, instead of actually manually selecting the area you want to attack (as if this game is a FPS, which it's not), maybe it should be more like Age of Conan where there are three areas you can attack from. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52501

Also, in Aion, dodge and even damage is controlled by the player. However, it's more passive and simple. Depending on which way a person is walking, is what type of benefit they get in a fight. Take a look at the "Defending Yourself" section. http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion/Combat

Updated parrying so that you will be able to lock weapons with your opponent and undergo a mouse mashing duel.

Does parry even work?
    I see you can do the action of parry, but it doesnt look like its protecting you from damage.