Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Encombrance

Re:Encombrance

Hyip wrote:
    How much more weight do you want to be able to carry? You can already run with telephone poles on your back! I think it is fine the way it is. And for the attributes. I like how that is also. Why you got to be superman in everygame you play. your either a fighter a crafter or somewhere in the middle.
    As the stats work now that raises some big problems IMO. When you start a game you probably have no idea what you want to play. Or even if you have, you might change your mind later. So what if you think you'll be a warrior, but months later you realize you want to be a crafter...but you can't, since you didn't put points on intelligence.

About magic. Magic won't be ingame during Prelude. So people who want to play it later have to put points on Spirit right now, and play with disadvantage for like a year ? This doesn't make any sense.

A restriction like this takes off a lot of the game playability. We won't have alts, what if after 2 years of gameplay you get bored of melee and want to play a magic character or a crafter? You won't be able to. I don't see any reason to have such a restriction in place. We already have skill decay to avoid supermen. Thats much more logical, you get a skill up, and when you get bored of it you can forget it and train another skill. Thats how a sandbox game supposed to work, not in the way where you have to decide your years long carrier on the very first day. That would cause a very linear gameplay.

Honestly I doubt that your stats dont change at all. You probably ust can't put points into them manually but they raise automatically either with other skills or by performing different tasks.

You can only raise a stat in creation to 90 so there has to be another way to get the other 10 points, so don't freak out just yet.

Ferakpsi wrote:
    I was curious about this too. I haven't noticed this yet, but it would make sense for a lumberjack to become stronger over time, or a hunter to have increased perception with significant training.

Although if "levels" also allow the character to raise stats, perhaps too many methods are counter-productive... We don't need to be Super Everything!
    Xsyon wrote;
    Yes, this will be in soon. You'll be able to raise stats, but not to the extreme
    Taken from another thread...so I think stats will be able to be raised....slightly

This is a part I've taken from the features list of Xsyon

Character

Character development is pivotal to Xsyon. Unlike many game worlds where a character develops from a weakling to a god, Xsyon characters start off as heroes, above average in stats but inexperienced, unskilled and lacking knowledge.

Customizable body, face and hair system.
    Characters visibly gain or lose weight and muscle.
    Characters age visibly. Ageing affects character statistics.
    Statistics increase or decrease based on actions, experience injuries and age.
    Skill based system. Skills increase and decrease based on actions and experience.
    Experience is gained for most player actions, not only combat, but crafting, questing, gathering and social activities.
    Levels gained will give additional points for the character to boost skills and statistics. These are in addition to normal action based skill and statistic gains and reflect what a character would be doing when not actively being played.
    Characters possess eight different gauges that affect the performance outcome of actions: Health, Faith, Energy, Adrenaline, Hunger, Thirst, Encumbrance and Comfort.
    Character actions are tracked for Good, Evil, Law, Chaos, Karma and Luck. These factors affect creature reactions, town status, reputation and skills

Thanks for the info, guys.
    Now I'm only worried about this:

Xsyon wrote;
    Yes, this will be in soon. You'll be able to raise stats, but not to the extreme
    It would be nice to get an official word of how it will exactly work.

A level system...

How did my post of Encombrance become a post on stats and a leveling system? lol

Rook wrote:
    Strength increases carrying capacity and agility increases movement speed.
    Don't forget Fortitude. Increases energy regeneration.

Jadzia wrote:
    Thanks for the info, guys.
    Now I'm only worried about this:

Xsyon wrote;
    It would be nice to get an official word of how it will exactly work.
    It probably means that you won't be able to have allyour stats at 90+ but some will go down while others go up.

It would make sense that if you spent all your time "meditating" or whatever that your spirit would go up but your strength would go down. and vice versa if you spent all day hacking at wolves.

gegezerg wrote:
    Ok so then that reverts back to something needs to be done about this. Because come release people just aren't going to go for that type of slowness in game as far as moving about with items.

And also like I said before, this is a "Game" not rl nor a simulation. If it's labeled a simulation then sure by all means make it as real as possible. But otherwise something like this can be a game breaker for many people. It becomes a grind instead of fun, then people resort to macros and bots to get things done and we don't want that to happen.
    'scuse me.. but ehm, no not real life and yet it imitates a lot of it, doesn't it . So it might not feel like gaming for you, but damn I'm having more fun playing this than anything else (except EQ - that game still beats everything).
    Srsly, there is nothing wrong with encumbrance as it is. Get better running and agility and you'll get much further on less energy and faster.

And this game, as far as I understand it, has no intention of actually going for any other crowd than the mature crowd, which thank God, means it will actually be a game that requires a bit of thinking instead of brain dead activity as you see in WoW.

Think of it when pvp becomes a real reality in-game. Can I actually -afford- to carry this much, through 2 zones with possibly unfriendly tribes, taken that I need to rest that much and can't outrun a scout/guard/patrol..?