Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dams.. wells

Re: Dams.. wells

Jadzia wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense.
    Why ?
    Just to me, after a disaster, I wouldn't think about making a well. Maybe the idea of using plastic containers would be fine, but a well is just too strange.

Re: Dams.. wells

/facepalm

Re:Dams.. wells

Ok... if you are going to fill a so-called 'well' with water brought from a river, wouldn't you call that a cistern instead?

A cistern would be much more appropriate than a well, in this setting, as you could use it to collect rain-water or be filled by buckets of water brought from a nearby river.

Until mining is released, a groundwater well would just seem odd (in light of the groundwater level argument). However, a cistern would be not only understandable, but acceptable as well because it can be a completely above-ground building that would merely hold water that could be brought in from a remote source.

The availability of a cistern would also allow tribes to have their lands far from any constant water source (which is quite possible, since I've scouted enough areas to know that there are great places to settle, if only there was a source of water).

For more information on the history of the cistern and reasons why it would be best applied to Xsyon, instead of a well, see the following Wikipedia entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cistern

If you took the time to read my 'essay' and agree with my idea, please PM me about it. Thank you for your time.

Its just a good old fashioned water tank! And its a good idea, it should be implemented. It could be made of tin sheets and rivets perhaps, to seal it up tight.

Wells are a great idea too, but as mentioned, mining should be implemented prior to drilling for natural water springs.

Kinslayer wrote:
    Its just a good old fashioned water tank! And its a good idea, it should be implemented. It could be made of tin sheets and rivets perhaps, to seal it up tight.

Wells are a great idea too, but as mentioned, mining should be implemented prior to drilling for natural water springs.
    Agreed Even an old fashion barrel would be fine. Just have to fill it up by buckets.

Darenkel wrote:
    Ok... if you are going to fill a so-called 'well' with water brought from a river, wouldn't you call that a cistern instead?

A cistern would be much more appropriate than a well, in this setting, as you could use it to collect rain-water or be filled by buckets of water brought from a nearby river.

Until mining is released, a groundwater well would just seem odd (in light of the groundwater level argument). However, a cistern would be not only understandable, but acceptable as well because it can be a completely above-ground building that would merely hold water that could be brought in from a remote source.

The availability of a cistern would also allow tribes to have their lands far from any constant water source (which is quite possible, since I've scouted enough areas to know that there are great places to settle, if only there was a source of water).

For more information on the history of the cistern and reasons why it would be best applied to Xsyon, instead of a well, see the following Wikipedia entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cistern

If you took the time to read my 'essay' and agree with my idea, please PM me about it. Thank you for your time.
    Now this is what I like, it's a creative idea that could definitely fit into the setting. I accept this suggestion over a well.

Ok, we are talking about digging a hole until it fills with water and then bricking the interior of that hole to prevent it from collapse. Not a lot of tech involved unless you are way up in the mountains. On granite it would be hard to dig a well but that is what mountain streams and rivers are for.

As for the whole apocalypse thing... who gives a sh.. if the water in the lake is potable so is the water table. well water is one of the most pure sources of water available without treatment(as long as you are not digging it from a dump) and should not even be an issue.

As for sources to fill a Well or Cistern, Water table and Aqueducts. Not a lot of thought involved there. There is also the good old Rain barrel. Only an idiot would have a hard time with that problem.

All that scrap metal and you don't think we could piece together an aqueduct?

Any other arguments that are based on a trolls ignorance?

If you don't know something about a subject, just post a thumbs down if you don't agree or dislike the idea.

Oops, forgot to heed my own advise a bit there.

+1 Wells, great idea.

-1 Dams, you can already make dams.

Tybalt wrote:
    Oops, forgot to heed my own advise a bit there.

+1 Wells, great idea.

-1 Dams, you can already make dams.
    Dam right... and Well, that wasn't deep at all, :P

Come and visit Shinra. U will see that we are already have a well inside our tribe area. You ppl are slow.