Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dams.. wells

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dams.. wells

A water carrying device which allowed us to collect water and bring it to our village and fill a depression in the ground or a purpose built well. The water would be used over time so there would still be a need to trek to the supply but less often.

Also leads into fishermen being able to bring back live specimens to keep in their village dam.

Added to official list ~KiwiBird

Re: Dams.. wells

I don't like the idea of wells. It's just a free water supply making the thirst system become useless.

trenixdecease wrote:
    I don't like the idea of wells. It's just a free water supply making the thirst system become useless.
    how is it useless if you have to keep bringing back water to fill the hole? Also you can trench from the water anyway into your city and create a pond to have an unlimited amount of water and fish as it is right now.

KeithStone wrote:
    how is it useless if you have to keep bringing back water to fill the hole? Also you can trench from the water anyway into your city and create a pond to have an unlimited amount of water and fish as it is right now.
    If you have to keep refilling it, I guess it could work. However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense. Also, trenches take awhile to make as you should already know that by now. You've also seen that they don't even look nice being that they will be too deep to be at reach inside of a town/tribe.

Most wells in modern times feature pumps. While an old fashion well would work fine, these pumps would not. That said, I'd love to be able to build old style wells and have a groundwater system in game.

trenixdecease wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    If you have to keep refilling it, I guess it could work. However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense. Also, trenches take awhile to make as you should already know that by now. You've also seen that they don't even look nice being that they will be too deep to be at reach inside of a town/tribe.
    This game isn't based on a nuclear or biological apocalypse steming from a virus, prion, bacterium, or toxin. It's, from my understanding, supposed to be a supernatural apocalypse, like with demons and stuff.

mrcalhou wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    This game isn't based on a nuclear or biological apocalypse steming from a virus, prion, bacterium, or toxin. It's, from my understanding, supposed to be a supernatural apocalypse, like with demons and stuff.
    What's your point? You only proved that there is no reason to have water purified from a well.

trenixdecease wrote:
    However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense.
    Why ?

Jadzia wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense.
    Why ?
    Just to me, after a disaster, I wouldn't think about making a well. Maybe the idea of using plastic containers would be fine, but a well is just too strange.

Re:Dams.. wells

Ok... if you are going to fill a so-called 'well' with water brought from a river, wouldn't you call that a cistern instead?

A cistern would be much more appropriate than a well, in this setting, as you could use it to collect rain-water or be filled by buckets of water brought from a nearby river.

Until mining is released, a groundwater well would just seem odd (in light of the groundwater level argument). However, a cistern would be not only understandable, but acceptable as well because it can be a completely above-ground building that would merely hold water that could be brought in from a remote source.

The availability of a cistern would also allow tribes to have their lands far from any constant water source (which is quite possible, since I've scouted enough areas to know that there are great places to settle, if only there was a source of water).

For more information on the history of the cistern and reasons why it would be best applied to Xsyon, instead of a well, see the following Wikipedia entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cistern

If you took the time to read my 'essay' and agree with my idea, please PM me about it. Thank you for your time.