Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dams.. wells

Dams.. wells

A water carrying device which allowed us to collect water and bring it to our village and fill a depression in the ground or a purpose built well. The water would be used over time so there would still be a need to trek to the supply but less often.

Also leads into fishermen being able to bring back live specimens to keep in their village dam.

Added to official list ~KiwiBird

Re: Dams.. wells

I don't like the idea of wells. It's just a free water supply making the thirst system become useless.

trenixdecease wrote:
    I don't like the idea of wells. It's just a free water supply making the thirst system become useless.
    how is it useless if you have to keep bringing back water to fill the hole? Also you can trench from the water anyway into your city and create a pond to have an unlimited amount of water and fish as it is right now.

KeithStone wrote:
    how is it useless if you have to keep bringing back water to fill the hole? Also you can trench from the water anyway into your city and create a pond to have an unlimited amount of water and fish as it is right now.
    If you have to keep refilling it, I guess it could work. However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense. Also, trenches take awhile to make as you should already know that by now. You've also seen that they don't even look nice being that they will be too deep to be at reach inside of a town/tribe.

Most wells in modern times feature pumps. While an old fashion well would work fine, these pumps would not. That said, I'd love to be able to build old style wells and have a groundwater system in game.

trenixdecease wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    If you have to keep refilling it, I guess it could work. However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense. Also, trenches take awhile to make as you should already know that by now. You've also seen that they don't even look nice being that they will be too deep to be at reach inside of a town/tribe.
    This game isn't based on a nuclear or biological apocalypse steming from a virus, prion, bacterium, or toxin. It's, from my understanding, supposed to be a supernatural apocalypse, like with demons and stuff.

mrcalhou wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    This game isn't based on a nuclear or biological apocalypse steming from a virus, prion, bacterium, or toxin. It's, from my understanding, supposed to be a supernatural apocalypse, like with demons and stuff.
    What's your point? You only proved that there is no reason to have water purified from a well.

trenixdecease wrote:
    However, wells after an apocalypse doesn't seem to make sense.
    Why ?

trenixdecease wrote:
    mrcalhou wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    KeithStone wrote:
    What's your point? You only proved that there is no reason to have water purified from a well.
    Umm...What? Wells don't "purify" water. Wells tap into a naturally occuring source of water that is already in the ground. In many cases that water isn't pure at all. In some places in India skeletal fluorosis is endemic because the only water that is availible is heavily flouridated. Putting the water into a well wouldn't reduce the concentration of flouride ions that are present in the water unless the well also contained something that would react with the flouride and form an insoluble salt that would precipate out and settle on the bottom.

Sometimes if the water is deposited or passes through a layer of soil that is very fine then that may filter some things out. Passing water through sand and activated charcoal would do a good deal to purify water, but people in the middle of nowhere don't dig wells to put water in, they dig wells to reach groundwater so they don't die of dehydration or so they can then use that water for irrigation.

The fact you can't terraform off your tribe's land means you may not be able to make a canal all the way from your village to the water. Considering we are using items like plastic and aluminum in the game I think we can make allowances for centuries older tech like a water table well.