Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestion for Masonry

I'm not going to take credit for this idea. I remember seeing it in another thread somewhere but it wasn't the main focus of that thread so no one really talked about it. If this was your idea please take credit for it. I just want to see what people think. Mods, if this thread is more or less a duplicate thread, please delete it.

What if masons were able to craft statues and things of that nature? Having a couple big statues at the entrance to a city would add some character. Also, maybe they could make fountains out of stone to put in the middle of a city for a water source? As a mason gains skill, they could build different/bigger statues or fountains. What other sorts of things would you guys like to see Masons able to create other than simple bricks, mortar, and such?

Re:Suggestion for Masonry

travdoty wrote:
    I'm not going to take credit for this idea. I remember seeing it in another thread somewhere but it wasn't the main focus of that thread so no one really talked about it. If this was your idea please take credit for it. I just want to see what people think. Mods, if this thread is more or less a duplicate thread, please delete it.

What if masons were able to craft statues and things of that nature? Having a couple big statues at the entrance to a city would add some character. Also, maybe they could make fountains out of stone to put in the middle of a city for a water source? As a mason gains skill, they could build different/bigger statues or fountains. What other sorts of things would you guys like to see Masons able to create other than simple bricks, mortar, and such?
    I always thought this would be cool. If would be even cooler if you could somehow shape the statue to make them unique, but that's wishful thinking. There's a ton of stuff a stonemason could make though.

I think masons should be responsible for building brick structures. Architects are not builders, they are designers, so an architect would not actually add the bricks to a building. Same would go for carpenters adding wood components to structures.

Edit: Also, stone walls and other stone fortifications should be a mason's responsibility.

travdoty wrote:

I'm not so sure about statues. Sculpting is completely different than masonry. None of the masons that I know, have the slightest idea of how to sculpt a marble. I've thought of this idea too, but it's just not something that masons do. This also wouldn't go so well with a 2012 apocalyptic theme.

Fountains however, would be nice. I just hope you're planning on filling it up with a bucket time to time and not just getting water out of nothing. If you're referring to a cistern, now that should be one of the benefits of being a mason.

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/42-tweak...it=10&start=10

Kinslayer wrote:
    I think masons should be responsible for building brick structures. Architects are not builders, they are designers, so an architect would not actually add the bricks to a building. Same would go for carpenters adding wood components to structures.

Edit: Also, stone walls and other stone fortifications should be a mason's responsibility.
    Sounds like something I've been saying for quite some time...

trenixdecease wrote:
    Fountains however, would be nice. I just hope you're planning on filling it up with a bucket time to time and not just getting water out of nothing. If you're referring to a cistern, now that should be one of the benefits of being a mason.

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/42-tweak...it=10&start=10
    He refers to my assessment of what would make an appropriate remote water storage device. *takes credit for the Cistern thing*

i'm sure there are plans for this in the future, not much of a need to really discuss it here

Kinslayer wrote:

We've been there, that is not the topic of this thread mate. This is suggestions for the current way it is -.-.
    - Call Architecture "Construction" for now as that is what is meant by it and screw what the name relates to. Seriously is such a tiny thing in this game. It has JUST been introduced.

T'was partly my idea about decorative plans for Masons but great to see it suggested =), couldn't be bothered myself.
    - As a compromise to the real life fact that they actually should have stone constructions in their building repetoir and not only stone bricks/mortar since buildings are handled by the architect. Again, screw the name for now. It has JUST been introduced.

Illmaculate wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    None of the masons that I know
    You guys have mason parties and talk mason from time to time in the real world?

p.s. teach me how to mason
    Working for sometimes for 9-10 hours a day, you get to really know people. When we use a hammer and a chisel, we're not carving things into a certain form or figure. We're usually breaking off something, like bricks from steps or chipping limestone. I'd rather see ovens and fireplaces before I start seeing statues in the game.

Being a mason in this game would sound like a wimpy class. They aren't even responsible for pavements, but they're shaping rock into statues?

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    Kinslayer wrote:

We've been there, that is not the topic of this thread mate. This is suggestions for the current way it is -.-.
    - Call Architecture "Construction" for now as that is what is meant by it and screw what the name relates to. Seriously is such a tiny thing in this game. It has JUST been introduced.

T'was partly my idea about decorative plans for Masons but great to see it suggested =), couldn't be bothered myself.
    - As a compromise to the real life fact that they actually should have stone constructions in their building repetoir and not only stone bricks/mortar since buildings are handled by the architect. Again, screw the name for now. It has JUST been introduced.
    My post is very much on topic, thank you. This topic asked what people thought a mason should be doing, in addition to what they do now, I gave my opinion and the reason why, which includes the fact that architects dont lay bricks.

I agree with tren, statues arent something a brickie would be doing, fireplaces, ovens, kilns, and paving are all definitely things that should be included in the skill.

trenixdecease wrote:

Being a mason in this game would sound like a wimpy class.
    Class? NO! bad. somebody slap that man.

You're thinking about a different game, no classses here.

Masons are kinda one dimensional at the moment.

Yes I would like to see them making statues and fountains etc.

You say it doesn't fit into the 2012 apocalypse theme? how do you know?

Please show us your photos from when you visited the 2012 apocalypse. That is the only way you coud know right?

Yeah.... if tribes wanna have statues let them have statues damnit. Just because it doesnt fit into the way YOU think an apocalypse should look doesnt mean others wouldn't want it.

Don't like it? then come tear them down.