Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What primary and secondary crafts do you want?

Just thought it would be a neat idea to suggest some primary and secondary crafts to be added in the game. Post crafts you'd like to see in the game. Just think of as many as you can and also remember to give it a description.

Primary

Voodoo- creates jewelry, trinkets, poisons
    Cooking- should become a primary craft
    Artistry- creates decorations
    Metalworking- creates armors, materials for metal structures, and other miscellaneous items
    Trapping- creates traps for humans, animals, and even fish.

Secondary

Gardening- start with garden trowel
    Cultivating- start with hoe

Re:What primary crafts do you want?

Fluff skills or some name for hairdressing, tattooing, piercings, and painting.

hairdressing is already planned but yes the more hairstyles(custom possibly) the better,
    i want to be able to brand my members with the tribe symbol,
    just the fact that i have the option to shove a piece of bone through my nose would be nice,
    paint anything from armor to tents and war paint anyone

and pretty much the chemist/alchemist idea that mrcalhou put. except the compounds and materials are made from things found in nature around the game

EX: i take some of plant A and plant B to form a very sticky substance, then mix this with venoms from snakes i caught. added the mixture to a sword or spread it on a trap/defense

Machinist/Engineer:

"Develops parts and systems for vehicular and stationary weapons of war and defense." e.g. Armor plating, turret mechanisms.

Fletcher:

"Designs and develops different arrows and bolts for bows and crossbows." e.g. Armor piercing arrows that overcome damage resistance at the cost of doing lower damage to fleshy objects and "organic (leather, grass) based armors, seratted tips that do greater damage to fleshy targets but less against metal. Shafts made of different woods that affect flight characteristics like velocity or range.

Chemist/Alchemist:

"Designs and develops different compounds and materials that can be applied to equipment to enhance their properties." e.g. developing a toxin that can be applied to weapons that debuffs movement speed, damage, damage resistance, does damage over time. Making pitch that can be applied to arrows and bolts that can be lit on fire to do damage over time. Making new alloys that can make armor lighter (increasing movement/attack speed) at the cost of defense or vice versa.

Botanist for planting things like trees and grass or flowers maybe he can also make statues or decorations

Wagonmaker (chariots and things)

Animalbreeders. They have to look witch horse the strongest is, witch one the fastest and depending what kind of horse/donkey/dog he wants makes them breed with good combinations to get better horses/ donkeys or dogs

mrcalhou wrote:
    Chemist/Alchemist:

"Designs and develops different compounds and materials that can be applied to equipment to enhance their properties." e.g. developing a toxin that can be applied to weapons that debuffs movement speed, damage, damage resistance, does damage over time. Making pitch that can be applied to arrows and bolts that can be lit on fire to do damage over time. Making new alloys that can make armor lighter (increasing movement/attack speed) at the cost of defense or vice versa.
    I like this idea, maybe they can also be in charge of making dyes for clothes.

trenixdecease wrote:
    mrcalhou wrote:
    Chemist/Alchemist:

I like this idea, maybe they can also be in charge of making dyes for clothes.
    When chemistry was just starting to come into its own as one of the hard sciences, as opposed to being consider a mystical art, dyes were some of the first compounds to be produced based on the knowledge of how different chemicals interact with each other.

We should have a pottery skill.

Shrimps wrote:
    Yes and you'd be able to cut your own hair too. In fact cutting your own hair would be way easier than finding containers, but this is a GAME and not reality so you need to look at gameplay above all else. Barber skill is most definetly a fluff skill, there is no reason to concern ourselves with it untill after the skils that will actually affect gameplay have been implemented and fully fleshed out.
    Would be nice for a way to change or improve your hairstyle ingame. I was also thinking of a system that makes your character slowly grow hair. However, the point of the barber would be more of an hygienist. He would make first aid which would go along well with an injury system (which is mentioned on the features). By the way, hair + injury = very bad.

Such first aid would include cotton, rags, and even wraps. There would be plenty of ways to heal injuries. Pretty much, the barber would be our own personal medic. In an apocalypse, this is a requirement for survival. Even a dentist is required, depending on what you eat, you need to keep your teeth in check or eating food will become very hard for you. Improper care of your teeth should drain your energy while eating, or you wont be able to eat at all.

Xx1327 wrote:
    you'd be surprised. proper hygiene, in the way your using it, is a modern term. cutting hair has nothing to do with survival, unless you happen to catch fleas carrying the black plague. If anything it helps in winter. i say just leave basketry, we should have a pottery skill too tho back on subject.
    Refer to the response above about the barbering skill. As for the pottery skill, that should also go with the artistry skill that I've mentioned in the original post. Only making pottery will become a useless skill, just like basketry. Let me guess, will he also have pottery armor?

trenixdecease wrote:
    Shrimps wrote:
    Yes and you'd be able to cut your own hair too. In fact cutting your own hair would be way easier than finding containers, but this is a GAME and not reality so you need to look at gameplay above all else. Barber skill is most definetly a fluff skill, there is no reason to concern ourselves with it untill after the skils that will actually affect gameplay have been implemented and fully fleshed out.
    Would be nice for a way to change or improve your hairstyle ingame. I was also thinking of a system that makes your character slowly grow hair. However, the point of the barber would be more of an hygienist. He would make first aid which would go along well with an injury system (which is mentioned on the features).

Such first aid would include cotton, rags, and even wraps. There would be plenty of ways to heal injuries. Pretty much, the barber would be our own personal medic. In an apocalypse, this is a requirement for survival.

Xx1327 wrote:
    you'd be surprised. proper hygiene, in the way your using it, is a modern term. cutting hair has nothing to do with survival, unless you happen to catch fleas carrying the black plague. If anything it helps in winter. i say just leave basketry, we should have a pottery skill too tho back on subject.
    Refer to the response above about the barbering skill. As for the pottery skill, that should also go with the artistry skill that I've mentioned in the original post. Only making pottery will become a useless skill, just like basketry. Let me guess, will he also have pottery armor?
    this is going along the classes route, you don't want to condense individual skills in such a vague group.

grass armors are a real thing, and its completely acceptable to have them in the basketry skill group, tho i think it should be renamed to grassworking.

Xx1327 wrote:
    this is going along the classes route, you don't want to condense individual skills in such a vague group.

grass armors are a real thing, and its completely acceptable to have them in the basketry skill group, tho i think it should be renamed to grassworking.
    Grass armors are useless and unnecessary when mental is at hand. Basketry is an art, as is sculpting, and so on. Artistry would contain all decoration crafts which would make sense and it'd be balanced since decorations don't do anything for you anyway.

So to have all these crafts, which in my opinion isn't really that many, would make up for one big finished skill. It's not like we're craving for a new skill, there are plenty of skills that people are mentioning in this thread. Some are very nicely put together.

While I like the idea of having many skills, I would not like to have skills that would only give one benefit with useless fillers. Also, grassworking isn't even a real skill.