Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re:Land of the Tribal Area

Still way too invasive for my part .

Simplicity is nice . User-friendly is relative taken they are going for mature audience. And it is actually part of the fun figuring out where your area has expanded to .

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    Simplicity is nice . User-friendly is relative taken they are going for mature audience. And it is actually part of the fun figuring out where your area has expanded to .
    I'm assuming that you're argument is that, by not being user friendly, this is targeting the mature audience? Yeah, that's great, besides the fact that they'll have a lower player base because of the lack of user friendly features. Take Wurm Online's loss against Minecraft, by example.

No I'm saying that if you are going for a mature audience. User-friendly is less important as the gamers should have enough brain to actually think for themselves without requiring a wooden pole up their behindness in order for them to act on issues they might encounter.

This is not Wurm, there are multiple branches of fail if a game doesn't succeed. Not just one. I'm not saying user-friendly features should be kept out, but be kept at a very much minimum. You ought to think, is this a game for me, before you buy it.
    I'd like to see this sandbox succeed, but not if it compromises what the game wants to be. This is a game where you have to think in order to play, more user-friendliness and a major part of the game stops working and bots are introduced to remove the even more tedious tasks.

I wouldn't like to see a constantly glowing ring around our tribe area. But when the totem is actually placed, it would be a nice help to see the boundaries. A visual feedback of the tribe area would help to place the totem in the proper spot.( Like you could see if a riverside is inside or outside of the territory.)

Jadzia wrote:
    I wouldn't like to see a constantly glowing ring around our tribe area. But when the totem is actually placed, it would be a nice help to see the boundaries. A visual feedback of the tribe area would help to place the totem in the proper spot.( Like you could see if a riverside is inside or outside of the territory.)
    this would be be pretty nice. like a birds eye view when first placing

After read subject , i find simple solution

Visible only for tribes members

In case place totem make weaving in red for person to make cool totem location

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    I'm not saying user-friendly features should be kept out, but be kept at a very much minimum.
    We should also remove the crafting system where we know exactly what materials we need in order to build a structure then, right? Heh, you're asking for a fail rather than a game. Wurm Online is failing mainly because it isn't user friendly. What do you expect will happen when a new players jumps in and has no idea what to do? Simple, they'll quit.

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    This is a game where you have to think in order to play, more user-friendliness and a major part of the game stops working and bots are introduced to remove the even more tedious tasks.
    Wrong, this is a game where you discover the unknown, rather than figuring out how to play.

I think its a good idea to have an indicator when placing the totem, as Jadzia suggests. A permanent indicator, even if its just for members is too much. Perhaps there could be an option on the totem, for the leader of the tribe, or perhaps a permission that can be set, to "view border", but it cant be left on constantly. Just like a check type of thing. If implemented in that sort of a way, I think its a good idea.

VeryWiiTee wrote:
    No I'm saying that if you are going for a mature audience. User-friendly is less important as the gamers should have enough brain to actually think for themselves without requiring a wooden pole up their behindness in order for them to act on issues they might encounter.
    I must disagree with this. Normally I'm a pretty humble person and don't think too highly of my intelligence, but I'm graduating in May with a Bachelors of Science in Secondary Education with Dual focuses in Chemistry and Biology. I consistently get A's and B's on writing assignments and research papers. My English professors have praised my ability to think outside of the box and defend my arguments and my chemistry professors urge me to become a chemist so I can be one of their graduate students instead of being a teacher.

Now that I have sufficently tooted my own horn to the extent that yall think I'm high on myself, I have to say that user-friendliness is a MUST and maturity has nothing to do with it. Final Fantasy XIV just released a few months ago and was, and probably still is, one of the most user-unfriendly games that have come out. Major gaming sites bashed it. Hardcore Final Fantasy fanbois bashed it.

User-friendliness is one of the most important things in a game to get correct. I would personally argue that it's the most important thing along with entertaining content, and for an MMO, a variety of entertaining content.

It is not too hard to clear land in a path closest to the tribe's border. This would be one way using existing features to see the edge in an unobtrusive way. You could even make it a road to stand out better if you like.

If your tribe grows, do another path. Eventually the old one will be covered up with construction or by grass growing back on it.