Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re:You Can 'BANK' On It!

mrcalhou wrote:
    Venciera wrote:
    Tybalt, your system is similar to the one I was going to propose. I like it because its simple, straightforward, and allows for players to easily set prices on goods without having to select each resource individually. It's also very flexible because if you have a lot of one resource (lets say buttons) you can still convert, and sell them for goods.

So +1 for that.
    In Tybalt's system only one player would have the ability to set the prices for goods for any particular tribe. If someone in the tribe doesn't agree with the prices, then they will have to find another outlet for trade such as the chat channels.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be implemented but it could still use some refinement. What about if there was an outlet for each individual person to set up a shop and set their own prices and exchange rates for goods? This would make it more in-line with the way Venciera seems to be interpreting the suggestion. I still see some issues with this particularly with regards to items that aren't divisible and/or have varying qualities and durabilities.

I think wood, bolts, and the like will become the defacto currency and almost all trade will use those and it'll work itself out over time.

Like when runes and SOJs became the currency in Diablo 2 since gold was worthless.
    In my system there would not be one person to set the values. Like I mentioned before. The tribe leader would set permissions for which players had access to the value assignment of the Tribe Market. Just as if he were setting permissions for who would be allowed to Build , Cut trees, Terraform or Destroy Buildings.

Another aspect of my Proposed system would allow for trade caravans to actually profit from transporting goods from a tribe where, let say, Buttons are plentiful but screws are not. To a tribe where Screws are plentiful but maybe buttons are not.(simplified example)

My suggestion is this. We need market buildings to sell goodies there. Each player can build their own market. Hire an NPC to run his market for certain amount of time. let say from 8AM game time, till 8 PM game time. then after that the market is closed. NPC goes away somewhere. We need NPCs to run our markets or how would u then be able to sell your stuff?

Tybalt wrote:
    In my system there would not be one person to set the values. Like I mentioned before. The tribe leader would set permissions for which players had access to the value assignment of the Tribe Market. Just as if he were setting permissions for who would be allowed to Build , Cut trees, Terraform or Destroy Buildings.
    Then why not just allow each individual trader to set their own prices anyway? I don't see how having more than one person able to dynamically change the rate at which goods can be bought or sold for everyone, especailly the ones that don't have the permission, would be a good thing. It would just lead to some players feeling alienated. But I don't think it matters anyway since it would just be easier to barter and trade items on an item to item basis in a chat channel instead of having to go through possibly losing worth on something.

Another aspect of my Proposed system would allow for trade caravans to actually profit from transporting goods from a tribe where, let say, Buttons are plentiful but screws are not. To a tribe where Screws are plentiful but maybe buttons are not.(simplified example)
    This would happen anyway as long as global storage is never implemented and resources are only found in certain areas.

The more I think about this, the more I think our ideas are retarded. Even my own.

joexxxz wrote:
    My suggestion is this. We need market buildings to sell goodies there. Each player can build their own market. Hire an NPC to run his market for certain amount of time. let say from 8AM game time, till 8 PM game time. then after that the market is closed. NPC goes away somewhere. We need NPCs to run our markets or how would u then be able to sell your stuff?
    You wouldn't need an "NPC" per se. It could just be a sign that you interact with that opens a trade interface.

You don't need an NPC. Just make the Tribal Market interactive to all players but those belonging to tribes your tribe is at war with or players that have been put on a block list.

When a player approaches the Market and right-clicks it, they will get options to Access the Market. it would open up a window just like opening a container to add items or trade window to buy/sell.

It is not that hard to imagine. :huh:

This would also serve as a great stockpile option for a tribe to reduce clutter. Just make all items added to the Market require a Value set and allow them to be sold. This will keep players from just using it as a personal bank.

I notice some people are having an issue with not being able to set competitive pricing within a tribe. This is not a solution for in-tribe trading. This is a Trade system for non tribal members to be able to trade with a tribe. And to encourage Trade routes and promote an "item for item" Barter System that can be automated.

Then why not just allow each individual trader to set their own prices anyway? I don't see how having more than one person able to dynamically change the rate at which goods can be bought or sold for everyone, especailly the ones that don't have the permission, would be a good thing. It would just lead to some players feeling alienated. But I don't think it matters anyway since it would just be easier to barter and trade items on an item to item basis in a chat channel instead of having to go through possibly losing worth on something.

I think what you are after is Craft vendors. Not a tribal trade system. I also think that Craft Vendors would be a good addition. I would like to be able to open a Tailor Shop and sell items, or a Weapon smith's shop. The hard part with that is the need for a global currency to accomplish this without having to personally set a value to all items in game or to choose an item for your personal currency.

Tybalt wrote:
    I think what you are after is Craft vendors. Not a tribal trade system. I also think that Craft Vendors would be a good addition. I would like to be able to open a Tailor Shop and sell items, or a Weapon smith's shop.The hard part with that is the need for a global currency to accomplish this without having to personally set a value to all items in game or to choose an item for your personal currency.
    Yeah the bold is spot-on with what I'm thinking.

I get what you are saying though about having one system for between tribe members.

I'm not going to lie, I probably have some of my ideas mixed in with yours and some other people, but the way I understand this (or perhaps the way I'd see it implemented if it ever is) is that:

There's a building for tribe/alliance members to trade at. Each item (daunting if there are a ton of different weapons/equipment like I'd want to see) has a set price that can be changed.

A seller would put items into this sytem and get a trade credit. I remember you mentioning not getting a credit out of it but rather having to buy something on the spot to balance the credit. My issue with this is that in this type of system a buyer is also a seller and a seller is also a buyer. Meaning that there would be no actual goods stored in the system.

What I'd do to modify this idea is have it that tribe members would buy and sell from the tribe. And the tribe could give out credits that would only have a value with the tribe or it's allies. That way transactions could happen at a later date and tribes could take out taxes so goods go into the tribe store, but an equivelent amount of goods won't come out to individual tribe members. The excess credits would go to the tribe storage and the leader/members reponsible for setting the prices would have access to these credits, and could use the to purchase items out of the tribe store for the tribe's use. It wouldn't matter that there could possibly be a limitless supply of tribe credits since the credits are only backed by what's in the tribe store. Almost like the gold standard? It basically mimics having an NPC driven economy except the NPC is really the tribe and tribe leader/whoever.

Whatcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Whatcha think?
    Where do I sign?

+1

I'd like to add something... If it was possible to combine Tybalt's idea and this last post by mrcalhou, I'd prolly end up backing it completely. Between the two of them, there is a complete economic system that would be immune to inflation, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by tredo View Post
    WTH man?

Oh right, not enough sugar for you.

I also still feel that a simple thing such as banking should not be as complicated as suggested here.
    But thats OK, also maybe you could mention the weight of money.

I'd love to see you peg around with yer nails and all. Thats going to leave a lot of inventory space for actual trading right.....Riiight.

Darenkel,

The biggest thing that would help against inflation, imo, is flushing items out of the economy. High rates of equipment decay, items getting weaker/losing abilities/getting slower/etc as their durability goes down, limited amount of times it can be repaired; stuff like that. Otherwise items would just sit around in storages and then they would lose value.

Pandamin,

Your earlier suggestion about mining for gold and silver to mint coins is nice, but there is something about it that bugs me. I think that one of the things that bugs me is that it would have to be accepted by everyone; this wouldn't be an issue if it was hard coded into an auction house system like in Eve (I don't mean having to bid on items, but rather just a local building where you can sell goods to be traded and then when it's bought you automatically get it or have to go to the building to get it).

The biggest thing is where does it come from? You mentioned harvesting it which would make it like any other commodity and then eventually it would be capped off. This presents two problems to me. The first is inflation: As more currency is introduced into the game then the price of things will go up to compensate. Now you might be wondering, "Well, why is that a problem? There's more gold to make up for it so nothing really changes." But that leads to another problem: "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer." The people harvesting it get more and more, but that doesn't mean it will be doled out the same way. Another thing is that they have people that like to hoard gold and money and credits and so on. I'm one of them. What this means is that if there is a limited amount of the gold in the entire system, then people like me will be locking it up rendering it unusable. Then things would devolve back to the item-for-item trading scheme. You might think it's foolish, but when I played Eve, I didn't measure my success by how many kills I had, or the total skill points of my character. I measured success by how big my wallet was and how much I had in storage.

Now, instead of saying my ideas and reasoning are stupid or retarded or whatever word it is you used, I'd much rather you debunk my ideas and prove that I'm wrong or that my reasoning is flawed. Being wrong isn't going to hurt my feelings. Hell, I got an 80% on my American Government quiz tonight.