Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You Can 'BANK' On It!

I've heard that people think that trading should be done item-to-item, and that is all good and fine, but then... it is more difficult and complex, to have a list of things that are equal value, without having mix-ups between items that aren't on those lists... (almost confused myself there...)

So, here is my idea (and I know it has already been discussed), being able to have a tribal banking system that allows you to, not only fix a suggested price, in currency, for items, but allow item-to-item trade on a more level field, based on supply/demand within that tribe.

With this as a basis, we could trade over larger distances and create courier quests for those that wish to make extra money, not limited to 'foreign' tribes that don't actually exist in the physical game-world.

References:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banking

Re:You Can 'BANK' On It!

We do need some type of banking sytem, allowing tribes to set their currency seems like a great thing to me.

I'm still a little confused about the whole banking and trading system.

Are we going to see player vendors, or more like local auction houses based out of tribe cities?

All this is going to determine how a banking system would work.

If a market system is setup to accept only 1 type of item as currency then that will control how tribes and players do their trading. If a tribe is able to setup their own type of currency for their bank within their tribe- that would be very interesting.

I hope it's not done like player vendors, where the market is only based on 1 person selling their items aka Darkfall. I want to see it more like EVE online where the tribe is able to run their own bank/Market place or auction house.

Having a standard currency is nice, but eventually players would set up what a standard is in place of credits, gold, whatever.

I think it'd be really cool if there was no such thing as global storage so that items could take on different values depending on where you are in the world. Then tribes could set-up trading posts. The trading post could have items being sold by players and perhaps the individual tribe could set up what different trade values are.

No global banking seems like a nobrainer.
    Global banking in a sandbox is a good way to kill a good portion of the gameplay.

However, I'm a bit confused on this currency standard.

How should I picture this?
    1 global accepted currency for the entire world?
    Regional currency?

Items have a weight, how would trading work without a currency with those limitations?

Then again, do we really want to start this whole banking system again? I'm sure many people would agree that the financial system was 1 of the main causes for our current situation. We were lucky enough to survive, are we really going to tempt the Gods yet again? :P

Though I rather like Darenkel's idea of a tribal banking system.
    Still, I'm wondering what could be used as the accepted "global" currency.

First thing that comes to mind is metal decorations.
    But I'm not sure how fond I am of the idea of a consumable currency. Also, how would you scale the currency, surely 10 fish are not worth 1 metal decoration. So how would you buy 10 fish without making a loss.

We already had this discussion a while ago.

joexxxz wrote:
    exactly, a while ago- there's been lots more players around since then, so it needs to be revisted.

joexxxz wrote:
    Its that thread that spawned this thread.

Also, there was never any real conclusion.

Pandamin. Personally, I like the concept of a consumable currency. In most games currency is continually introduced, and removed, by the NPC's but this game doesn't have any NPCs. If currency is only ever introduced into the game and not removed then there will be inflation. But I don't see how we could get currency in this game without NPCs.

In games like Entropia Universe and AfterWorld, money is introduced into the game by real people who use their real life money to purchase in game currency. This game isn't like those, and I hope, and also don't see, it turning into it either as far as the "Real Cash Economy" goes. But with no NPCs to dole out quests or sell things to, I don't see how we could have a standard currency in this fashion.

It'd be nice to have a building that could automate trade between players so people don't have to rely on spamming the chat channels to trade. But I'm still trying to think of a way to implement it that doesn't have many or big flaws.

mrcalhou wrote:
    Pandamin. Personally, I like the concept of a consumable currency. In most games currency is continually introduced, and removed, by the NPC's but this game doesn't have any NPCs. If currency is only ever introduced into the game and not removed then there will be inflation. But I don't see how we could get currency in this game without NPCs.
    Well thats the thing.
    I was trying to think in non game terms because Xsyon already touches on "realism" in a lot of areas. Go along with me for a sec. :laugh:

If I get it right....
    The area of Xsyon is populated by resources that can run out right now? If so, why not introduce silver and gold as a collectable currency?

Just like in the real world, gold would not be created from nothing. There would only be so much wealth in the world as is circulated and dug up out of the mines. (In the old gold standard economy, not aplicable these days)

Am I explaining this well enough?
    Currency would not be introduced out of thin air.
    It would be harvested from a limited source. That would add actual value to the ingame currency.

Since those resources would be gold and/or silver I can see many ways to compromise between both our ideas on "currency".
    Gold and silver could be forged into currency or an item that can degrade. Creating another decision for the player.

The gold could even be harvested from rivers with washboards, adding another activity.
    You don't need npc's in the entire process.

One of the problems with an open currency system, where money is made or found, is inflation. As more people accumulate what is virtually an unlimited scavenged source of money prices for items will only go up. Many MMOGs fail at balancing the distribution of their currencies.

To prevent this there needs to be a balance in the introduction of money with the removal of the money. Consumable items would be better used as currency than the coins, dollars or bottle caps we are currently scavenging.

Buttons, nails, fish or bolts would make for a sounder currency in Xsyon since these items are consumed in crafting or as food. Along with that, we could use barter, where certain rare scavenged or hunted items are used in payment for good equipment. Metal Medallions, Belt buckles, Axe heads, etc are examples of those rare items.