Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The only things I've seen that are even 'worth' macroing, is fishing (where all you end up with, it a ton of fish, that probably will never get completely used up) and Hiding (which just makes it so you can be a bit sneakier... and slow as hell). Most of the crafting professions (aside from Basketry) would need to use some form of storage to keep items that they want to craft with. Every time you craft something, storage containers close, thus making it so that if you were macroing, you'd only be able to do it for so long... like 15 minutes, or so, due to weight restrictions. Now, if someone was keeping an eye on the progress of their macro, they wouldn't really be afk... So, afk macroing isn't exactly a fruitful thing, especially due to the soft skill-cap.

P.S.- As far as I can tell, noone would gain any sort of edge in combat, from macroing, since you have to actually hit a creature or person, to level combat skills. Also, if someone did macro say, hiding, to 100, they would reach the soft skill-cap much faster and they would only end up with one really good, but generally pointless, skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Darenkel View Post
    The only things I've seen that are even 'worth' macroing, is fishing (where all you end up with, it a ton of fish, that probably will never get completely used up) and Hiding (which just makes it so you can be a bit sneakier... and slow as hell). Most of the crafting professions (aside from Basketry) would need to use some form of storage to keep items that they want to craft with. Every time you craft something, storage containers close, thus making it so that if you were macroing, you'd only be able to do it for so long... like 15 minutes, or so, due to weight restrictions. Now, if someone was keeping an eye on the progress of their macro, they wouldn't really be afk... So, afk macroing isn't exactly a fruitful thing, especially due to the soft skill-cap.

P.S.- As far as I can tell, noone would gain any sort of edge in combat, from macroing, since you have to actually hit a creature or person, to level combat skills. Also, if someone did macro say, hiding, to 100, they would reach the soft skill-cap much faster and they would only end up with one really good, but generally pointless, skill.
    There are very advanced macro (bot) programs. I've seen ones which was able to attack enemies, used HP potion when HP was low, it was looting the mobs, and ran back to bank to store loot when it was full, then ran back to the battlefield.

Or you could make it if your food and water levels deplete completely for a long period of time, your character will die. This would prevent people from leaving the game on for long periods of time and macroing. Of course, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
    Or you could make it if your food and water levels deplete completely for a long period of time, your character will die. This would prevent people from leaving the game on for long periods of time and macroing. Of course, just a thought.
    This is actually a very good idea to help reduce the amount of macro use. Only problem is that it is not hard to script in the eating and drinking. I do however agree that lack of food and water should result in reduced skill gains and possibly a debuff of some sort for the short term. And death with skill loss for long term.

As to my previous comment about Not carring about botters during testing; That is just another aspect of a game that needs to be tested. I do not think it is something that needs to be blown out of proportion and turned into a witch hunt. I am sure that there are plans in place to combat botters/macros, and what better time to test them out than now. I say, let them macro, let what ever program is in place to locate or counter a Bot do it's job. Just don't go to the Tweeks and Suggestions and Post about seeing someone you think may or maynot have been using a macro. My comment about who cares was only directed towards the point that it was posted, where it was, when it was.

I Personally support Xsyon in preventing and punishing players for cheating. After launch, any members of my Tribe caught botting/cheating will be turned into the Development Team or Moderators and Kicked from the tribe.

That is by far the worst idea ever. The penalties we have already are good enough, the idea is to make this game challenging but not difficult in the sense that it becomes annoying. That is the point of a game so players are able to enjoy it.

You know, come to think of is Trenix, you haven't contributed anything useful here.

If you know of a game that has a system to deal with macroing without admins running around banning people, let me know.

Because there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    That is by far the worst idea ever. The penalties we have already are good enough, the idea is to make this game challenging but not difficult in the sense that it becomes annoying. That is the point of a game so players are able to enjoy it.

So it's difficult to walk up to the water and click a button to fish? And difficult to take 4 steps further into the water and click another button to drink?

Just sayin =)

You know, come to think of is Trenix, you haven't contributed anything useful here.

If you know of a game that has a system to deal with macroing without admins running around banning people, let me know.

Because there is none.
    I'm not the programmer, however I'm sure there will be some ways. Such actions like fishing and hiding and obviously going to be exploited. Once the game gets fully developed, I'm sure we'd have to do more than just click a button to fish. Probability also cuts macros since it's difficult for a program to know if you have a certain material or not.

Quote Originally Posted by travdoty View Post
    So it's difficult to walk up to the water and click a button to fish? And difficult to take 4 steps further into the water and click another button to drink?

Just sayin =)
    That's why I added the whole "in the sense that it becomes annoying". If I choose to leave my character on and I'm not macroing, why should I be penalized with death? Also, I don't believe people should be stressing on meters like hunger and water.

"Oh crap, I failed to catch a fish! I'mma die!"

Penalize only their energy, the end. You are just replacing a problem with a bigger one.

People probably wont be using macros for crafting, they will be using them for things like scavenging, foraging, branch collecting, fishing, rock/mineral gathering etc. IE they will be using their macros to try and obtain raw resources, which is where most of the grind takes place. Trying to make a macro to craft in this game is already nearly impossible because of the complexity of the crafting system.

Like you said to me, we want the game to be enjoyable. I do not think that adding more complexity to gathering materials will be a good idea because of the point you made yourself. Your remark about dying because you can't catch a fish is a bit extreme. If this game is going to incorporate any sense of realism, extreme starvation should result in death. Plus, if you can't catch a fish or find food, your not much of a survivor and probably wouldn't make it in a post apocalyptic world. That, and you have your tribe members to help you. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is the entire concept of the game.

Because there is none.
    Applause !
    It is so very true. Somehow this was never a problem in EQ which was all about grinding. Maybe it has something to do with the whole "I need instant gratification in order to enjoy myself". Go wank, honestly (said with a winking eye).
    I don't get it, people want the best items etc. for their character, but they don't want to do the grind for it.

That is your problem. It will persist as long as there are idiots and lazy twads in this world and so far no game has succesfully avoided bots. If they had, you'd think that system would be implemented in ooh let's say pretty much every MMO out there.
    There is but one thing that matters. Make programs that looks for bots, in World of Warcraft this could easily be implemented as they used a program that recognized spell rotations and took out those peeps that couldn't, at least as a human, make the same rotation over and over with the same amount of seconds between each spell.
    Ban hammer (we're talking perm IP-ban for the rest of your life not the lousy 3month ones) it away for the win and well, just don't jump the wagon of fail?.