Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Combat] Dodge/Parry

Personally, the combat features are sort of unnecessary. There is no reason to press Ctrl or Alt to do a proper dodge or parry. It's also not very user friendly for newcomers. While I understand the skill it might bring, it's not that effective. So this is what I think it should do...

Dodge-

Dodging should happen randomly after an opponent takes a swing at you. You will have no real control over it. The higher the dodge you have, the more likely you will dodge your opponent. However, dodge can be countered by weapon skills. If your opponent has a higher weapon skill than your dodge, your chance of dodging will be decrease. Yet, if they have a lower weapon skill than your dodge, the chance of you dodging will be increased. Players will not be able to dodge attacks that they are being hit from behind.

Parry-

Parrying will have a percent chance of triggering if you attack at the same time as your opponent does. The higher your parry is, the more likely that you will parry your opponent. Weapon skills will also counter parrying is it does dodge. The more weapon skill they have, the less likely you will parry. The lower the weapons skill they have, the more likely you will parry. Once parried, both you and your opponent will lock weapons together. During this time, you and your opponent will both be defenseless to your surroundings as you undergo a mouse repetitive clicking duel. Depending on your strength, depends on the value of each click. Once a player is pushed past their limit, he is then stunned for a short period of time.

The current system makes it confusing, frustrating, and awkward. The system needs to be more entertaining and simple. That could be why most players don't really enjoy it.

Re:[Combat] Dodge/Parry

There is already a thread on combat (which discusses dodging and parrying) with 177 replies. Have fun reading:

Combat Suggestions/Tweaks Thread

Derek wrote:
    There is already a thread on combat (which discusses dodging and parrying) with 177 replies. Have fun reading:

Combat Suggestions/Tweaks Thread
    My suggestion is completely different than that thread. I'm only referring to dodge and parry. Oh and with my system, dodge and parry will be different. Dodge will happen randomly while parry is controlled.

trenixdecease wrote:
    Personally, the combat features are sort of unnecessary. There is no reason to press Ctrl or Alt to do a proper dodge or parry. It's also not very user friendly for newcomers. While I understand the skill it might bring, it's not that effective. So this is what I think it should do...

Dodge-

Dodging should happen randomly after an opponent takes a swing at you. You will have no real control over it. The higher the dodge you have, the more likely you will dodge your opponent. However, dodge can be countered by weapon skills. If your opponent has a higher weapon skill than your dodge, your chance of dodging will be decrease. Yet, if they have a lower weapon skill than your dodge, the chance of you dodging will be increased. Players will not be able to dodge attacks that they are being hit from behind.

Parry-

Parrying will have a percent chance of triggering if you attack at the same time as your opponent does. The higher your parry is, the more likely that you will parry your opponent. Weapon skills will also counter parrying is it does dodge. The more weapon skill they have, the less likely you will parry. The lower the weapons skill they have, the more likely you will parry.

The current system makes it confusing, frustrating, and awkward. The system needs to be more entertaining and simple. That could be why most players don't really enjoy it.
    I don't agree with your suggestions. In the thread you shrugged off there has already been a discussion and suggestions about improving dodging and parrying.

mrcalhou wrote:
    I don't agree with your suggestions. In the thread you shrugged off there has already been a discussion and suggestions about improving dodging and parrying.
    Alright, but I decided to remake a thread with my own opinion about the combat system and how it should be improved. The other topic was too broad. This is strictly referring to Dodging and Parrying.

trenixdecease wrote:
    mrcalhou wrote:
    Alright, but I decided to remake a thread with my own opinion about the combat system and how it should be improved. The other topic was too broad. This is strictly referring to Dodging and Parrying.
    Yeah, I pretty much did the same thing regarding the pvp thread. I sowwy.

Illmaculate wrote:
    trenixdecease wrote:
    Dodging should happen randomly after an opponent takes a swing at you. You will have no real control over it. The higher the dodge you have, the more likely you will dodge your opponent.

Parry-

Parrying will have a percent chance of triggering if you attack at the same time as your opponent does. The higher your parry is, the more likely that you will parry your opponent.
    This would be a good idea if you wanted the game to take zero skill.
    i agree

a recent example of this failing is darfall. when gets mixed in it ruins things

Illmaculate wrote:
    Pretty much this. The less passive/random dice rolling in combat, the better.

Derek wrote:
    Illmaculate wrote:
    Pretty much this. The less passive/random dice rolling in combat, the better.
    Exactly. In the combat thread I've mentioned some possible ways in which skills could improve dodging and blocking, but it shouldn't be with % chances.

All I'm saying is that the current system doesn't really add too much skill into the combat, if any. Sure, you can do a bit more, but it's just annoying more than entertaining. I find it rather pointless and easy to master. Also, it's not very user friendly for newcomers.