• Global Standard Currency?

30 33.71%
  • Item for Item Barter System?

46 51.69%
  • Don't care either way?

13 14.61%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    A standard would have to be backed by a non-player controlled source otherwise there would be too many means for it to be abused.

If money is backed by a finite resource, such as in Joe's suggestion, then players would be rewarded for not spending the money.
    How would they be rewarded if they are not spending any money?

Because as new goods and materials are entered into circulation the same amount of money would be needed for larger and larger transactions, driving the value of the currency up relative to the price of goods.
    The same amount of money would be needed??? I dont think so.

My final in my American Government class was on economic policy. I got a B on it. So anyway, the following is going to stem from what I learned.
    LOL

Having a non-player controlled means of generating and taking currency out of circulation is the only reasonable way I can think of that will keep a monetary system, in a game like this, stable.
    This is a sandbox game, and we dont need any unreal, that make no sense, introduced into this game. Keep it real.

My final suggestion on this topic is a modification of one of my earlier ideas.
    There will be non-player controlled trading posts scattered about that can buy and sell an infinite amount of resources.
    Bad idea.

The only requirement is that a tribe decide to accept the in-game money as a currency. If (for exampole) the Shinra said we'll accept 40 dollars for a metal decoration, and we'll pay 20 dollars for 50 nails......you have a monetary system. People would know then if they want to buy 2 metal decorations, they'll need to sell the Shinra 200 nails, or 80 dollars. Not sure how heavy 200 nails would be to carry, but I'm sure 80 dollars would be considerably lighter. Which is why IRL, currency was developed to begin with.

For the currency to have any value to Shinra, they'd need to be able to use it to trade with other tribes though, so idealy, several tribe would start using money as an allowed currency exchange. Perhaps tribes could form some sort of alliance of tribes where they could agree and set a value on certain items of common exchange....or even without the alliance...tribes could determine the value of items to them. Labour could be included in the prices of things...like delivering sand to mountain tribes would be a trade some enterprising individual or small tribe could enguage in.

Sure, people can scavange for money, but it'd be like considering it a job...without a set sallary lol. Because everything will be able to be scavaged, for the most part...in game.

anyway, just my two inflated cents

Quote Originally Posted by joexxxz View Post
    How would they be rewarded if they are not spending any money?
    I already explained why in two of my posts, and the link I provided also explains it.

The same amount of money would be needed??? I dont think so.
    Because, over time, you will have MORE people that are needing to use the SAME amount of currency. In the finite gold-backed currency system that you proposed, there would be no more gold that could be harvested. Once that point is reached, as more people start playing the game, each individual would be able to have less money to buy more stuff (since newer players would be adding more resources into the system unless all they do is sit and chat).

LOL
    Bravo, good sir! Bravo!

This is a sandbox game, and we dont need any unreal, that make no sense, introduced into this game. Keep it real.
    The only thing that doesn't make sense is your use of the English language. If you are an American like your location says you are, then, you must be about 5 years old given how well you have been able to articulate yourself in writing. I make no mistake that my grammar is perfect, but at least my sentences make sense most of the time and I can actually reason on things. Most of what you write is just:

Bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    The only requirement is that a tribe decide to accept the in-game money as a currency. If (for exampole) the Shinra said we'll accept 40 dollars for a metal decoration, and we'll pay 20 dollars for 50 nails......you have a monetary system. People would know then if they want to buy 2 metal decorations, they'll need to sell the Shinra 200 nails, or 80 dollars. Not sure how heavy 200 nails would be to carry, but I'm sure 80 dollars would be considerably lighter. Which is why IRL, currency was developed to begin with.

For the currency to have any value to Shinra, they'd need to be able to use it to trade with other tribes though, so idealy, several tribe would start using money as an allowed currency exchange. Perhaps tribes could form some sort of alliance of tribes where they could agree and set a value on certain items of common exchange....or even without the alliance...tribes could determine the value of items to them. Labour could be included in the prices of things...like delivering sand to mountain tribes would be a trade some enterprising individual or small tribe could enguage in.

Sure, people can scavange for money, but it'd be like considering it a job...without a set sallary lol. Because everything will be able to be scavaged, for the most part...in game.

anyway, just my two inflated cents

What I've been trying to suggest the entire time, though, is a system that would make it possible to trade when there is only one person present. Like the market in Eve. The seller places the item for sale, can then go about his or her business, and then someone else can come buy it. This system is a good system because people don't have to stand around for hours and hours trying to trade with each other. They can actually play the game in other ways too. It also doesn't prevent them from standing around trying to conduct one-on-one trades, but rather supplements it. But this would only work well if there was one, or a few, different items that was used as currency, like the dollars and bottlecaps that are already in game. I also know that you aren't specifically suggesting that each tribe be able to mint their own currency like others have said, but I still want to mention that that sort of system would be very convoluted and awkward to use.

I have seen where a few of you talk about a need to be able to extract money from the game to help keep inflation down. And then I remembered this
    From the Features tab
    Under EvolutionIt says: Trade with tribes beyond the impenetrable mist.
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post28913

When I asked: Does this mean that we may be able to trade with unknown NPC tribes that are not in-game?

Xsyon said:

Yup. It means this.

The idea is to have trade totems representing tribes beyond the mist as a means of introducing new things into the game.

But I'm sure that it could/will be used to pull revenue from the tribes/game.

Quote Originally Posted by aliksteel View Post
    I have seen where a few of you talk about a need to be able to extract money from the game to help keep inflation down. And then I remembered this
    From the Features tab
    Under EvolutionIt says: Trade with tribes beyond the impenetrable mist.
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post28913

When I asked: Does this mean that we may be able to trade with unknown NPC tribes that are not in-game?

Xsyon said:

Yup. It means this.

The idea is to have trade totems representing tribes beyond the mist as a means of introducing new things into the game.

But I'm sure that it could/will be used to pull revenue from the tribes/game.
    11 pages of bickering and name-calling...

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Lol, I didn't know if you were /facepalming because of my post regarding your post, if you think I'm an idiot, or if you were agreeing with my reaction with respect to Joe's comments.
    joe and others who do the same

Let the people choose what they want to trade.
    Money system is overrated and not needed in this type of game.
    I can trade so and so what they want, and they trade me what they want. If I need it I will trade, if not I wont. We all value things differently in this type of game. Some tribes will need bricks, others will need scrap. Its all about working with what they got.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Let the people choose what they want to trade.
    Money system is overrated and not needed in this type of game.
    I can trade so and so what they want, and they trade me what they want. If I need it I will trade, if not I wont. We all value things differently in this type of game. Some tribes will need bricks, others will need scrap. Its all about working with what they got.
    Basically what he said.

Not all tribes are going to accept any form of standard currency. There aren't a large supply of NPC's standing around to take your money so there really isnt a reason to have it around. Every tribe will make decisions on what they value more, do they need 30 bricks right now or would they rather have 40$ to trade for something later.

Not to mention a money system just tuns out to be terrible in games like this. The only reason EVE turned out ok was because they hired an economist to stabalize it and find ways to regulate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
    Not to mention a money system just tuns out to be terrible in games like this. The only reason EVE turned out ok was because they hired an economist to stabalize it and find ways to regulate it.
    EVE also has a money system because of how the market works there, they list prices in ISK. There will be no auction or market system like that here, unless players start to make it.

I mean right now human bones are worth a TON, and could be used as money.