89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global Standard Currency?

30 33.71%
  • Item for Item Barter System?

46 51.69%
  • Don't care either way?

13 14.61%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    I'm convinced that you are only trolling here. I've never said Atitd is doing bad because of its economy system, I said economy doesn't work there because of the barter system. You can't name one game with good working economy which has purely barter system, still you insist that you know barter system works well. You say it works in Wurm. Wurm has money. Perhaps you don't use money there, I'm sure others do. Eve has a great economy I agree. It has money. There is no other game out there without money only Atitd. If there is, let me know.

Your only worthy sentence:
    I know a money system CAN work, but it removes freedoms. If it doesnt remove freedoms (like wurm) then it WONT be used (like wurm)
    So if it doesn't removes freedom (I have no idea how could money system remove freedom though), then let others use it. You use barter, I use money. Everyone is happy.

I'm not expecting a reply, its really useless. But if you know a game out there with purely barter system and no money at all apart of Atitd , post it here please.

Ok, seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

I can understand trying to make a point, but is 18 pages of squabbling really necessary for a game that is at least 5-6 months from releasing?

Make your point, then leave. There is no point in trying to argue whose point is better, especially when it seems everyone has a different point.

It's like a bunch of four year old's arguing whose toy is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
    Ok, seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

I can understand trying to make a point, but is 18 pages of squabbling really necessary for a game that is at least 5-6 months from releasing?

Make your point, then leave. There is no point in trying to argue whose point is better, especially when it seems everyone has a different point.

It's like a bunch of four year old's arguing whose toy is better.
    god i know wish this and couple other threads would go in a corner and die already

Well, since we're making wishes... I wish Bobby Kotick would leave Activision, I wish SoE would pay attention to their customers and not screw them over in an attempt to make a buck, and I wish someone would make an MMO that had the same levels of depth and choices that Eve has with regards to economical growth and item and skill choices but with action-oriented combat mechanics.

I'm just going to start by saying, this thread was hilarious. Very entertaining indeed. Now I will close with a quote from the FAQ that none of the people fighting seemed to have noticed, as it kinda puts the beast to rest. "The system has been changed since this was first asked. Tribes will be able to create their own custom rank with the ability to set a tax rate based if the tribe has a chosen currency. Collected currency will be controlled by the tribe leader or assigned ranked members. Tax will currently apply to all members. I will think about different rates for different members."

That tells us there will be currencies. Global? no, but currencies. One thing I will say that people need to keep in mind, currencies in real life have no more meaning then in virtual life. During the gold standard, well, gold was a currency and the dollar was just a gold note. That's it. Gold has no use what so ever, never has. Sure, it's a pretty good conductor, but honestly that was just discovered, it's a decorative item and why people pay so much for it, well, that has never been explained, they just do. But ya, lets fuel this up again so I can waste another day at the office reading more tomorrow!

This game's vision is about a truly player-drive environment, correct? If that's the case, the determination of a currency should be made dynamically by the players. If the developers set a currency, they ruin the very idea of an evolving world that is starting from scratch. The way I see it, Xsyon will start as a strict barter-style economy. However, as the game progresses, and players get a grasp for the value of certain items, a currency will develop over time.

Case in point, in Diablo 2, gold was the currency established by the developers. However, because it was so common, it became relatively worthless. Instead, it was replaced by the Stone of Jordan (SOJ), which was a more rare, sought-after item in the game. In the end, players would trade better items, like armor and weapons, for SOJs, thus making the gems more of the standard currency than the gold.

Xsyon should have as little developer involvement, which I believe is the direction and vision of the developers. And, if that remains true, they will not force a currency on us, but let us naturally establish our own, as all societies do.

I'm for a global currency all the way. It would foster an actual global economy; it would provide for player owned shops; it would provide for trade caravans; it would provide for tribes to move out of their enclaves; it would.... i'm sure there is more.

I know these things can also be achieved with a barter trade system, but IMO it would be more efficient, fun, and economical to do it the global currency way.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    Xsyon should have as little developer involvement, which I believe is the direction and vision of the developers. And, if that remains true, they will not force a currency on us, but let us naturally establish our own, as all societies do.
    +1

It's nice that there will be some tribal currency functions to simplify that kind of thing for groups that want to use it, but I don't see how a global currency fits the game design outside of that.

(I always think of my nails, screws, bolts and rivets as cash when I approach someone for a trade)