89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global Standard Currency?

30 33.71%
  • Item for Item Barter System?

46 51.69%
  • Don't care either way?

13 14.61%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Right now, human bones are the closest thing Ive seen to money trading. Reason why is because they are rare and needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Having a non-player controlled means of generating and taking currency out of circulation is the only reasonable way I can think of that will keep a monetary system, in a game like this, stable. My final suggestion on this topic is a modification of one of my earlier ideas.

[In the way I envision it t]here will be non-player controlled trading posts scattered about that can buy and sell an infinite amount of resources. It can also buy crafted goods, but only for as much as it would pay for the base resources to make the item, not any resources used to modify or repair it. Items below a certain durability percent could not be sold to it. The prices of these items will be fixed. It would cost more to buy a resource than someone would get from selling resources to it. To help keep inflation down, any, but the most basic of, player created items should have high degradation rates to encourage resources to be cycled through the system.

There would also be player controlled trading posts where individual players can set their own rate for items that other players would then be able to buy. The items availible would be shop dependent. A tax would be added to all player-to-player transactions through this trading post. Part of the tax would go to the player or tribe that owns the building and part of the tax would disappear out of the system. This system would also have an anti-inflation method. The part of the taxes that disappear out of the system would vary slightly based on the amount of money in circulation to encourage players to use money. As more money is being circulated the tax percent would go down slightly making each unit of money slightly more valuble since less can be used for more. The converse would be true too. As less money is being circulated taxes would go up; meaning the people that are hoarding money are loseing value on it since the same amount of money would be used to buy less goods. Perhaps have it so that the base rate is 3% that would go to the tribe or person that owns the building, then another 2%-12% tax rate that would disappear from the system.

Finally, players would be able to trade face-to-face without having to use currency and where no taxes would be taken out.

This system allows the player-base to have control over the amount of money and resources in circulation, while also providing a way for money to be entered into the system without giving any one person or tribe too much power.
    Aliksteel, I think that Joe is the only the that was completely fixated on needing gold to back it up. I only mentioned gold-backed currency in that one post because it was the only thing Joe seemed to understand. I never thought it needed to be backed by gold, and I never got that feeling from MrDDT, either. Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, currency wouldn't need to be backed by any one thing as long as there were systems in the game that took money out of the game at around the same rate as money is being introduced back into the game AND as more resources are being added to the game systems.

In Eve, a 10% tax on that 80,000,000 isk ship with 200,000,000 in fittings is nice chunk of change. While that sort of money wouldn't actually be realistic to have in this game, it'd be a simple matter of moving decimal (or comma) places over to mimic that amount of money.

I am not a fan of the static trade posts. I would rather have the tribes build the trade posts or markets. Just give the tribes control over the tax and nothing else. This way tribes will not have to fight over them as if they were rare resources. And the inflation will be kept under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
    I am not a fan of the static trade posts. I would rather have the tribes build the trade posts or markets. Just give the tribes control over the tax and nothing else. This way tribes will not have to fight over them as if they were rare resources. And the inflation will be kept under control.
    That'd work fine if: 1) Non-tribe and non-tribed members would still have access to them and 2) there is a high rate equipment and item destruction reminisicient of Eve-Online. I just really hope that the devs understand that having high rates of equipment and resource turn-over is one of the only ways to really make a crafting economy work.

On top of that you would need a money system if you were going to allow in game taxing. Kinda hard to tax someone buying leather, when the pay for it with digging up dirt, or cutting down some logs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    On top of that you would need a money system if you were going to allow in game taxing. Kinda hard to tax someone buying leather, when the pay for it with digging up dirt, or cutting down some logs.
    This is true.

Yep, taxing would require a form of currency. Unless of course a system was put in for physical labor acting as a tax, but to be honest, that would probably be complex. By that I mean, a waste of time and resources for what it would accomplish.

Can we try and summarize 13 pages of constructive criticism and or flaming down in a brief statement?

If game mechanics require currency to be used, have global currency. If they do not, have a bartering system.

I don't see why anyone should try and make it any more complicated than this.

More one time /agree

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
    Yep, taxing would require a form of currency. Unless of course a system was put in for physical labor acting as a tax, but to be honest, that would probably be complex. By that I mean, a waste of time and resources for what it would accomplish.

Can we try and summarize 13 pages of constructive criticism and or flaming down in a brief statement?

If game mechanics require currency to be used, have global currency. If they do not, have a bartering system.

This so far has been the greatest statement on the whole subject... and guess that means i totally agree with it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post

The discussion is about which system would be better suited for Xsyon. Item for Item Bartering system would not require anything to be changed in order to achieve the system. But if a global or even a regional currency is used there will have to be a system of introduction that will fit within the guidelines laid out by the Dev team. Which means no NPCs. Also the system would have to be designed to control inflation, remove the opportunity for exploitation and be equally accessible for the noobs and vets alike.

This topic is much more complicated than if the game has money, use money. And if not, don't.

Most of the discussion here is about which system Players would like best. (Personally I Like Item for Item. It requires nothing to change at all.) And How Global standard currency could be introduced and regulated.