Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
A standard would have to be backed by a non-player controlled source otherwise there would be too many means for it to be abused.

If money is backed by a finite resource, such as in Joe's suggestion, then players would be rewarded for not spending the money.
How would they be rewarded if they are not spending any money?

Because as new goods and materials are entered into circulation the same amount of money would be needed for larger and larger transactions, driving the value of the currency up relative to the price of goods.
The same amount of money would be needed??? I dont think so.

My final in my American Government class was on economic policy. I got a B on it. So anyway, the following is going to stem from what I learned.
LOL

Having a non-player controlled means of generating and taking currency out of circulation is the only reasonable way I can think of that will keep a monetary system, in a game like this, stable.
This is a sandbox game, and we dont need any unreal, that make no sense, introduced into this game. Keep it real.

My final suggestion on this topic is a modification of one of my earlier ideas.
There will be non-player controlled trading posts scattered about that can buy and sell an infinite amount of resources.
Bad idea.