• Global Standard Currency?

30 33.71%
  • Item for Item Barter System?

46 51.69%
  • Don't care either way?

13 14.61%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Global Currency or Item for Item Barter?

This discussion has gone on long enough. Time to put it to a vote.

Please View the Discussion Before you Vote. Make well informed decisions each of these options have pros and cons.

I voted for Global, but not as an 'active' currency so much as a 'passive' one. As a passive currency, it would be based on perceived item value (which is just as exploitable in real life as it would be in-game).

Even though I would prefer this, I do not see it as needed for release. I'm looking at the long-term, here.

My decision is based on my view of tribes as potential nations.

imo without a global currency long distance trading will be pointless- trade routes will not work as well as they do in EVE and eventually the trading will become stale and boring.

I like the barter system myself...

"Hey, I have X of item Y, what will you give me for it?" Could get some good stuff, as long as what you're being offered in return has value to you, it doesn't matter if it's an item(s) or currency really. I haven't played Eve (other than barely tried it when it released) so I can't really comment on how well it'll work or not. But I do like not having a "gold counter" on the bottom of my inventory window.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkan View Post
    I haven't played Eve (other than barely tried it when it released) so I can't really comment on how well it'll work or not. But I do like not having a "gold counter" on the bottom of my inventory window.
    In EVE it works like this:

There are many solar systems and in each solar system there are multiple stations, anywhere from 1-10+ stations in each solar system. Each station has a local trade hub where you can list items for sale and or you can list buy orders. You can purchase from any of the stations within the solar system from 1 station, however you have to travel to the actual station you purchased it from. If your trade skill is higher then you can purchase from stations further out, and you can place your sell or buy orders as well, but you still have to travel to the station that you bought it from to pick it up.

All stations charge a tax, however player (corporation aka guild) run stations are able to set the tax rate and the corp gets the tax. All the market hubs are local and independent of each other- this creates some very unique trade routes where corporations are forced to either higher mercenaries or use their own corp members to help protect very large shipments of goods being taken to market. These markets are not done as an auction, meaning you don't bid on items for sell- you just have to look for the best price.

In EVE players are also able to list transport quests, where you put up the items you want transported and where you want them taken and then you pay a fee that is refunded after you ship the items to the correct place successfully- if you are killed and lose the shipment then you don't get the fee back. The fee you pay to do the quest is always worth at least the amount of the items you are being asked to ship or more, so it's not beneficial to keep the items after paying the fee- the reward for successfully shiping the items is why you do it. (the fee you paid to do the quest is refunded as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkan View Post
    I like the barter system myself...

"Hey, I have X of item Y, what will you give me for it?" Could get some good stuff, as long as what you're being offered in return has value to you, it doesn't matter if it's an item(s) or currency really. I haven't played Eve (other than barely tried it when it released) so I can't really comment on how well it'll work or not. But I do like not having a "gold counter" on the bottom of my inventory window.
    As far as I know Eve do have a currency.

I played a game with barter system, and its nothing but a headache. If you need something rare, its almost impossible to set up a correct price for it. And since its rare, not many player will have it...and its very likely that you won't have the stuff that he wants in return.

For example you want to buy a metal decoration...someone has it, you offer 100 logs for it. He is like "no no I bought if for 1000 nails ! I want 20 purple feathers for it!" Now you can go out to try to find someone with 20 purple feathers and hope he will ask for something you do have....

I was in this situation before, was trying to buy a rare stuffs, the owner asked another rare stuff in return, and so on. Since there are no set prices, its very hard to make a deal. I gave up on it.

I'd have to say that I personally like the barter system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    As far as I know Eve do have a currency.

I played a game with barter system, and its nothing but a headache. If you need something rare, its almost impossible to set up a correct price for it. And since its rare, not many player will have it...and its very likely that you won't have the stuff that he wants in return.

For example you want to buy a metal decoration...someone has it, you offer 100 logs for it. He is like "no no I bought if for 1000 nails ! I want 20 purple feathers for it!" Now you can go out to try to find someone with 20 purple feathers and hope he will ask for something you do have....

I was in this situation before, was trying to buy a rare stuffs, the owner asked another rare stuff in return, and so on. Since there are no set prices, its very hard to make a deal. I gave up on it.
    Well, Jadzia that is the whole point of a Barter system.
    - If you aren't satisfied with his price.. You barter for a lower.

Honestly, do we absolutely NEED to have a system, can't we just use currency and items without having game mechanics to regulate it for us?
    - We aren't that dumbfucked that we can't figure out a system ourselves in-game. We did turn on a pc so, finding common ground on trading shouldn't be that hard. Tribes can set-up trade routes with other tribes (herein discuss terms of the trading as well as how to pay, values etc), have their own currency and you can barter.

I don't like his system. We are supposed to run this world. Not some sort of in-game system.
    That we, then, lack proper ways of actually trading is another thing .