Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What skills do you want to see in the game?

List some skills you're like to see implemented in the game. When referring to skills, these are starter skills that each player obtains whether they chose it or not in the character creation screen. For example, hiding, animal taming, foraging, and firebuilding. This does not refer to crafts, if you'd like to give a list of crafts please check out this section... http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ts-do-you-want

My Skill List

First Aid- Uses botanized plants to create ointments and creams for healing. Also uses cloths and cotton to create bandages.
    Track- Tracks animals and humans.
    Botanize- Searches for plants and seeds.
    Salvage- Disassembles finished products to retrieve some of their materials.

I like your two ideas. What if tracking worked like this:

You go into the woods and hit your tracking button. It tells you either "You have found no tracks" or "You have found tracks that lead to the northwest". So, you go northwest and track again. This time, it tells you "You have found tracks that head north", so you run a little further north, and so on. Eventually, once you get close enough to the animal, it tells you "You have found tracks heading north that resemble Coyote tracks" or something to that effect. Maybe as your tracking skill went up you'd be able to tell what kind of tracks they were sooner and sooner. Hopefully we'd also be able to track people as well. It wouldn't tell us who we're tracking, but just that we're tracking a human.

*edit* Also, in the snow, it'd be nice to actually see visible footprints in the snow to track them manually that way.

Quote Originally Posted by travdoty View Post
    I like your two ideas. What if tracking worked like this:

You go into the woods and hit your tracking button. It tells you either "You have found no tracks" or "You have found tracks that lead to the northwest". So, you go northwest and track again. This time, it tells you "You have found tracks that head north", so you run a little further north, and so on. Eventually, once you get close enough to the animal, it tells you "You have found tracks heading north that resemble Coyote tracks" or something to that effect. Maybe as your tracking skill went up you'd be able to tell what kind of tracks they were sooner and sooner. Hopefully we'd also be able to track people as well. It wouldn't tell us who we're tracking, but just that we're tracking a human.

*edit* Also, in the snow, it'd be nice to actually see visible footprints in the snow to track them manually that way.
    That's pretty much how I'd figure it to be. However, I'm wondering if it should actually tell you the players name. Also, tracking in my opinion, shouldn't require actual tracks. Meaning that a wolf shouldn't have to walk on that terrain to allow someone to track it. Skill will determine the chance you will have to succeed in tracking an animal, sort of like scavenging. If you succeed, it will tell you the location of the closest unknown animal. If you track fairly close to the animal, it will tell you the type of animal that you've tracked. At a higher tracking level, you will be able to identify the animals that are at a further distance.

I thought you already did a thread about this, but hey, what the hell.

I want:
    Trapping- Animals and Human. Such as snares, deadfalls and footholds.
    Forestry- Planting trees, grass, bushes.
    Husbandry- Not sure if this is planned already

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post

I want:
    The original post explains it. I'm asking for basically "passive" skills. Skills that everyone has from the beginning. I'd like the idea of forestry, however I feel animals should mate by themselves.

I want:
    I've thought about trapping but I thought it would have been suggested before already so I never made a post about it.

It would be really nice to be able to set up traps. Maybe we could have different sized traps that would catch different types of animals. Also, once you set the trap on the ground, you could put different types of bait in the trap. Also, it would be nice to be able to set up some sort of trap in the water to catch fish. For both of these, you should be able to come back later and get whatever it is out of the trap and use it however you see fit, freeing up the trap to be used again. Traps would need to decay just like any other tool after a certain amount of uses, however.

I noticed you edited your OP and added Botany. I believe the forage skill already covers that.

I noticed you edited your OP and added Botany. I believe the forage skill already covers that.
    Foraging is more for edible foods, botanizing is for plants which don't necessarily mean that they're edible. I don't think it would be very clever to forage for poisonous plants. In addition, if I'm trying to find food by foraging, I wouldn't want to have the probability of picking up plants that do nothing for my hunger. Conversely, if I'm trying to create a healing ointment or cream, I wouldn't want to be picking up edible plants.

Botanize and botanized are bad English; however, like tybalt said, forage would already cover that. Now I would love to see a skill that branches off forage called "botany" that lets you utilize plants in different and better ways such as extracting compounds from them and making poisons, and an alchemy/chemistry skill that allows you to react compounds to make more potent poisons and medicines.

Hmm, yes the term foraging does almost always refer to finding food that you would eat. Perhaps "herbalism" would be a better term (though it would refer to non-herbs such as mushrooms).

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Botanize and botanized are bad English; however, like tybalt said, forage would already cover that. Now I would love to see a skill that branches off forage called "botany" that lets you utilize plants in different and better ways such as extracting compounds from them and making poisons, and an alchemy/chemistry skill that allows you to react compounds to make more potent poisons and medicines.
    Think you must of skipped my post above since we posted at the same time. It will explain why there should be a distinct difference.