Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
    Build
    1: To form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole: Construct
    2: To cause to be constructed.
    3: To develop according to a systematic plan, by a definite process or on a particular base.

Well, to "Build" a fire you have to Unite the elements or materials into a composite whole. (fuel+heat+oxygen=Fire)
    And to develop according to a systematic plan , by a definite process... that sounds like "Building" a fire as well.
    You don't build a chemical reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Firebuilding would be an acceptable term if there is no actual word. "Your skill in 'firebuilding' increased" sounds a lot better than "Your skill in 'instigating fires to come into existence' has increased."
    I've gave you more proper words and explained my reasons for them.

Xsyon has been using the word Firebuilding for some time now and this thread is the first time this issue has come up. If you look at all the skills, they have been trying to keep all the names to one word. There may be a reason for this.

Oh and on the sillier side

Achievement award for this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsume View Post
    If you look at all the skills, they have been trying to keep all the names to one word. There may be a reason for this.
    You do know that I never asked for firebuilding to be more than one word, right? Oh and try not to purposely flood my thread.

Ok, there are a few directions to go from here. I can either bring up the fact that we are not just lighting fires at random locations on the ground. We gather stone to make a ring to contain a Fire and we call it a Campfire. So in that sense we are "Building" a Campfire.

Or, I can remind you that the definition of Build stated that the act of bringing the components required to have combustion together fits the definition of the word.

Or, I could get really out there and say that by the logic now being argued, the skill could not be called Firemaking or Firecrafting.

Because you can't make fire, you can only facilitate the catalyst required to incite a chemical reaction that produces large amounts of heat energy.

And you're not making anything with the fire or using the fire to make anything so the Craft part would be inappropriate.

And to call it Firelighting, you would have to separate the word into Fire-Lighting.(even spellcheck is wanting to split the words up) Then you would have to only allow Masons to build the "Fire-pit" and you then rely on your "Fire-Lighting" skill to start the fire.
    Or maybe we can get another skill called "Fire-Containment-Craft" so we all can make Fire-pits.

This topic is dead to me now. There is no way to salvage the logic that spawned this thread. It is full of holes and is now just your opinion about the name used to describe the act of gathering components needed to create and light a campfire (or possibly bigger fires or torches in the future) and putting them together then ultimately initiating the chemical reaction known as fire.

http://library.thinkquest.org/6400/fire.htm

There's a more 'reliable' source for ya.

troll = fed

Everyone's intention is just to disprove me. I don't feel like going on and on about reliable sources, what building means, or whatever. I gave you my opinion of why I found firebuilding to be incorrect. No one is trolling and people need to stop whining, which is why I'm finished with my argument because I feel as if people are just pulling on my sleeve. Unless someone has some actual evidence that firebuilding is a word or even makes sense, have fun trying to convince me that I'm wrong.

Another thing, learn what trolling means. Weren't you taught to not say words that you don't know the definition to? It feels like I'm playing League of Legends where all the children call each other noobs regardless if they actually are or not.

Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    You don't build a chemical reaction.
    Well, that's not quite true. Whenever you bring the materials (reagents) together then it can be classified as building the reaction. Generally chemists never call it this. But we do say, "We made" (informally) and "the reaction produced" formally. Both of these ways infer that something is being constructed and that is what is happening in a chemical reaction. Bonds are being broken and formed, or ions are switching places, but the end result is that something was built (produced, constructed, etcetera and so forth). In organic chemistry we use the term constructed quite a bit and a construct is something that is built.

Guys please open up your eyes. This is unbelievable, are you seriously trying to mess with my mind? Lets pretend this is English class, what term would you prefer?

A) "Lets go build a fire."
    B) "Lets go construct a fire."
    C) "Lets go make a fire."

You're honestly trying to convince me that your chemistry professor was telling you that you can construct a chemical reaction? Someone please take away his teaching license.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Generally chemists never call it this.
    Because that's not the proper terminology, now you you understand what I am saying?

I prefer answer choice B) because construct has two syllables.

You set-up the reaction conditions, but the end result is that you constructed the new compound. When you create fire, you must first set-up the reaction conditions.

I've changed this to Fire Building (instead of one word) for the next update.

Fire Building is the term that was used in Boy Scouts and I've heard it used by local Tahoe Rangers, so it's appropriate for the setting.