Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rename Firebuilding

The term "firebuilding", doesn't exist. The proper term is firemaking, firelighting, or firecraft (please don't use this one). Any of those would be more appropriate than firebuilding.

Not really a big issue is it? Like saying Terraforming/Terraformer? It is just a name. You know what it is and what it does, so there is no real confusion over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
    Not really a big issue is it? Like saying Terraforming/Terraformer? It is just a name. You know what it is and what it does, so there is no real confusion over it.
    Not saying that it causes confusion, it's just unprofessional. Also terraforming and terraformer are actual actions and words, firebuilding isn't.

So you would be satisfied if the term was changed to "Fire Building"?

So you would be satisfied if the term was changed to "Fire Building"?
    Both firebuilding and fire building are not real terms. You don't build a fire, you make/create one.

Scenario #1

"I'm skilled at firebuilding"
    "You know how to fuel the fire?"

Scenario #2

"You build firehouses?"

These are jokes about using the word "build" for firemaking rather than supporting the idea that it confuses people.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/firecraft

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/firelighting

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/firemaking

Wiki is right most of the time but not always. A good clue is to notice the warning at the top of the page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_fire

If you look through the dictionary you will find that there is no word or name given to the act of creating fire.

Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    Both firebuilding and fire building are not real terms. You don't build a fire, you make/create one.

Scenario #1

"You know how to fuel the fire?"

Scenario #2

"You build firehouses?"

These are jokes about using the word "build" for firemaking rather than supporting the idea that it confuses people.
    I think this is kind of amusing, seeing as the Dictionary uses "She built a fire in the fireplace." as an example of the use of the word fire.

Wiki is right most of the time but not always. A good clue is to notice the warning at the top of the page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_fire

If you look through the dictionary you will find that there is no word or name given to the act of creating fire.
    Interesting, I actually used google definitions and it apparently linked me to wikipedia which isn't a reliable source. However, there is still no word for "firebuilding" either. By the way, I used the word "make" as well.

I think this is kind of amusing, seeing as the Dictionary uses "She built a fire in the fireplace." as an example of the use of the word fire.
    This is where I'm confused. The dictionary must be wrong because you cannot "build" a fire. By definition, to build is to assemble and construct. To make or create is to produce, as in to bring into existence. Building is in the sense of something always existing but you're putting it together by parts and pieces.

However, you can build a tepee which is a typical method used in campfires. Yet, you cannot build the fire itself, only create or make it. So firebuilding is just completely wrong.

Build
    1: To form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole: Construct
    2: To cause to be constructed.
    3: To develop according to a systematic plan, by a definite process or on a particular base.

Well, to "Build" a fire you have to Unite the elements or materials into a composite whole. (fuel+heat+oxygen=Fire)
    And to develop according to a systematic plan , by a definite process... that sounds like "Building" a fire as well.

Firebuilding would be an acceptable term if there is no actual word. "Your skill in 'firebuilding' increased" sounds a lot better than "Your skill in 'instigating fires to come into existence' has increased."

Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    Interesting, I actually used google definitions and it apparently linked me to wikipedia which isn't a reliable source. However, there is still no word for "firebuilding" either. By the way, I used the word "make" as well.

This is where I'm confused. The dictionary must be wrong because you cannot "build" a fire. By definition, to build is to assemble and construct. To make or create is to produce, as in to bring into existence. Building is in the sense of something always existing but you're putting it together by parts and pieces.

However, you can build a tepee which is a typical method used in campfires. Yet, you cannot build the fire itself, only create or make it. So firebuilding is just completely wrong.
    No, the dictionary isn't wrong. You're just interpreting the words wrong.