Secondary Skill Selection

When you're creating a character and selecting secondary skills, skills which do not give an item should not be listed. While I know that by selecting those your skill gets increase, it actually hurts you more being that you're missing a tool that would ease your survival. For example, what's the point of getting foraging when you could instead have a fishing pole? What's the point of selecting scavenging when you could instead have an axe.

I find this to be unbalanced and not very user friendly to newcomers who don't know this. These passive skills are ones that don't require a tool, so therefore what's the point of selecting it when you can already use it? Those skills that require a tool, you can't use.

The point is that you get an advantage over other skills and as such it defines what your character is primed at doing.
    It has nothing to do with easing your survival.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    The point is that you get an advantage over other skills and as such it defines what your character is primed at doing.
    It has nothing to do with easing your survival.
    This is no advantage of selecting skills that don't require tools. You are at a disadvantage for not selecting skills that give you tools because they are otherwise disabled until you retrieve the tools within the game. That is unbalanced...

And you are so right. Life is unfair.
    However, wouldn't it be an idea to wait a bit and see how the game evolves as you might be needing certain skills over others later on..? Preferably I started with fishing and scavenging (apparently a useless skill from the beginning?). So that you find them useless is just your side.

I remember when we did not get tools to start with. Only the skill we selected. This made starting with nothing very difficult. As you basically had to scavenge for tools. Would have been okay if there was a population to work with, to be self sustaining.

This isnt a problem to me, as later you will be able to get any skill you want. Also those tools will not be needed that much and easy to get once people are playing and making tools.

People would rather have bump in starting skills than have a tool which is easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    And you are so right. Life is unfair.
    However, wouldn't it be an idea to wait a bit and see how the game evolves as you might be needing certain skills over others later on..? Preferably I started with fishing and scavenging (apparently a useless skill from the beginning?). So that you find them useless is just your side.
    I'm just saying, at the moment, it's unbalanced. We don't know for sure how useful scavenging may be, but if you don't find the right books or tools, it's considered useless. Like mentioned before, scavenging is always available to you, there is no real point of selecting it when you can easily level it in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    I remember when we did not get tools to start with. Only the skill we selected. This made starting with nothing very difficult. As you basically had to scavenge for tools. Would have been okay if there was a population to work with, to be self sustaining.
    It doesn't make it right for newcomers to be unaware with such an unbalanced system to where they will require players more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    This isnt a problem to me, as later you will be able to get any skill you want. Also those tools will not be needed that much and easy to get once people are playing and making tools.

People would rather have bump in starting skills than have a tool which is easy to get.
    That's later, I'm talking about now. It's a balance issue...

Im not worried about now, because now is really pointless, if you want a tool, make a toon with toolcraft, drop it on the ground, reroll and pick it up.

Its not a balance issue if the rules on release will fix this issue which they will. Right now you are testing the game, heck if you want to talk about balance right now why dont you talk about the fact that guides are spawning animals, or the world will be wiped.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Im not worried about now, because now is really pointless, if you want a tool, make a toon with toolcraft, drop it on the ground, reroll and pick it up.

Its not a balance issue if the rules on release will fix this issue which they will. Right now you are testing the game, heck if you want to talk about balance right now why dont you talk about the fact that guides are spawning animals, or the world will be wiped.
    Oh you're right, maybe the moderators should also just delete this forum while they're at it, right? I'm in beta, this is my feedback. There is no need to try and convince people to not send their feedback. In beta, you give feedback, that is just what you do.