Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Crafting system overhaul

I dont know about anyone else, but this crafting system is so boring it makes my eyes bleed.

I dont care what you are making, its pretty bad. There is no interaction with what is going on. Making bricks is one of the worst things you can do its very boring.

Anyways here are some of the things I think should be done with crafting.

Problem:
    What is the point of selecting tools? Unless you give us a BONUS for using the correction ones, or a neg for using the wrong ones, there should be no need to select tools.

Idea:
    Make different level of tools. Meaning, you can use a basic tool or an advanced focused tool, or something. Which would give bonuses or negatives.
    Say you are making deer bone chest. Well there could be advanced tools for using a DEER BONE tool vs using a basic tool, or even a BEAR BONE tool. You could use a bear bone tool, but maybe make it take 5x longer, or much higher chance to fail, or come out with an inferior product. (More on inferior and superior products later.)

Problem:
    Doing the same action over and over, with little to no reaction from the user/crafter. Its just asking to be macroed.

Idea:
    Why not make it so you have things happen while you are crafting that require the user/crafter to react to what is going on. Things like errors that require them to use a different type of tool, or maybe put it in water, or buff something out etc. If you DONT do this action you will run the risk of failure, or taking a lot longer to make it, or making a smaller amount (more on smaller amount in a bit), or inferior item.
    If you DO the correct action, you could make items much faster, or higher chance of success, or making more than 1 item with the resources that would normally only allow one to be made (more on this in a bit again), or superior item.

Problem:
    Why is it that we can only make 1 brick per click? Or 1 item? Even if we have more than enough resources in our bags. (Others have said something like this).

Idea:
    Allow the game to detect how many we can make using the resources we have on us, and let us choose how many we wish to make. Making more at once should increase chance of failure, but reduce the amount of time.

Problem:
    NO options for the crafter in how they want to do things or make things.

Idea:
    Allow the crafter to choose things like, # of items they wish to craft at once, or change chance of success based on how long they want to spend at it. (Lower success could mean they get a product done faster, but high failure rate). Maybe allow to skim on items needed to make it but the product has a high chance of failure, or comes out inferior. Or the other way around, pick the BEST items for a higher chance of success or superior item.

Problem:
    Items in this game have no quality, nor do they do anything different. You use a handaxe, its just as good as a woodaxe, or a crafters hammers vs a makeshift hammer. They do the same damage, they take the same amount of time, there is no durability in the game so those dont wear out yet or anything.

Idea:
    All items should have stats that go with them. Things like durability, speed, craftsmanship, weight, damage, etc. All these stats should be seen in some way, you dont have to put numbers to it if you dont want to, but explain it in the description (I would rather have numbers as it would make for a lot less coding).
    Then you could have inferior items, and superior items.
    Inferior items = Items that are just like basic ones (or normal) but they have some of their stats worse.
    Superior items = Items that are just like their basic one, but they have some of their stats better.

Like a Handaxe, could do normally 20 damage, with a speed of 15, with 3 weight, durability of 5.
    But an inferior Handaxe would be 17 damage, with a speed of 15, with 6 weight, durability of 5.
    Or a superior Handaxe would 20 damage, with a speed of 22, with 3 weight, durability of 7.

Making smaller amounts or larger amounts than what the crafting said it would make.
    One way to allow crafters to be rewarded for REACTING to things in game is to allow them to react correctly they can come out with 2 or 5 or 10 etc items instead of the basic amount.

Like making a brick, I set it to make all 10 bricks at the normal settings and rates. But because I reacted correctly, I get 14 bricks instead of 10.
    Or because I just walked away and let it make the 10 bricks on its own, I only get 7.
    This rewards people for reacting and PLAYING a crafter, while still rewarding people that dont mind losing some mats, as long as they dont have to click 10000x

Anyways please post comments.

I think most of what you're saying will be added eventually anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Problem:
    Doing the same action over and over, with little to no reaction from the user/crafter. Its just asking to be macroed.
    I like the way you worded this, very good quote if you ask me. Mainly because it's so true.

Idea:
    Why not make it so you have things happen while you are crafting that require the user/crafter to react to what is going on. Things like errors that require them to use a different type of tool, or maybe put it in water, or buff something out etc. If you DONT do this action you will run the risk of failure, or taking a lot longer to make it, or making a smaller amount (more on smaller amount in a bit), or inferior item.
    If you DO the correct action, you could make items much faster, or higher chance of success, or making more than 1 item with the resources that would normally only allow one to be made (more on this in a bit again), or superior item.
    I liked the whole improving system that Wurm Online had. Where you had to use a series of tools to improve the quality of the item. Definitely was something new each time and it's even difficult to macro.

Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    I liked the whole improving system that Wurm Online had. Where you had to use a series of tools to improve the quality of the item. Definitely was something new each time and it's even difficult to macro.
    Wurm had a good system for crafting outcome, but still very boring in my opinion. Very little could be done to make it better on the fly.
    I mean where are the options to add say carbon to make a stronger steel? You were told each step of the way what to do and how to do it. Not saying that Wurm's system is wrong, just saying it could be better, and it was pretty boring.

I like systems like Vanguard, where you could improve it using better mats, or even by choosing skills to do things. It would ask for say like a cloth to be bleached, well you could have used cheap bleach, or you could use the costly one. Cheap would not help much but it would help, while costly one would allow you better chance of success, and sometimes better outcomes.

I understand that some of this is asking a lot, but the current system to me, is just really slow, and boring. If some of this stuff isnt done, I cant really see a reason why people would want to activly do this. I can see it being macroed.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like macroing but if the choice is to do this brick making 10000 times with no input from the user, why wouldnt you macro that? I like it when macroing is an option just not a good one. So if you wanted to macro and run the risk of being banned you could do it for less gains or reason than if you did something activly. Why not reward active play, and not worry about people that macro?

If you made it so that PLAYING the game and playing it smart rewarded you (greatly in some cases) macroing wouldnt be worried about. No one would care if someone were macroing or not.

Anyways I dont want to get into a macroing topic (which seems like Im side tracking to), my point is that currently the system is very boring, and these ideas might take some coding, however, would be worth it greatly to the game.

just to give a applaud on all your ideas given here.. I read throughly it all and believe you had some great ideas for it all and think the dev's should take a look and consider this all. In all though i think the best part of this statement is the idea of gaining more items created by actually watching and paying attention to items being built, this leave's it so if you macro u can still gain even though be crappy crap, but if u do pay attention and watch you can get superior items and make more then you planned on for the same amount of resources.

Yeah these ideas were thought through well.

I pretty much agree with everything on there. Also, yeah the Wurm online crafting was terrible. Having played it for two years, I didn't get into the crafting too much, mainly just the PvP aspect. The little crafting I did, however, was boring as all hell.

I know this game isn't going to turn out like that though, Jordi knows what he's doing.

You were told each step of the way what to do and how to do it. Not saying that Wurm's system is wrong, just saying it could be better, and it was pretty boring.
    Whoa, are you complaining that Wurm Online had some user friendliness? I hope not, I'm not really looking for a game that's problem solving, just strategic. However, after thinking about it, I sort of don't want the possibility of improving weapons. The quality of an item makes crafting so much more extensive which was why it was so boring in Wurm Online. A finished product should sustain its quality until it's otherwise salvaged or broken. I think items should have different forms like they do in MMORPGs. The better the quality or "grade" of an item, the better and more stats it will give you. The color of the text for an item should also reflect its grade. Tools, armors, and weapons should be the only items that have grades.

I'd like Diabloesque items, sort of. Not completely random, but so that items are actually DIFFERENT. As a crafter, I don't want to create the same damned thing as someone else because we both have pattern X. How can you take pride in something that everyone can make?

Now, taking the time to get the proper materials, tools, work areas, and your own skill and then throw in a random modifier that can move up or down a slight bit then you craft your item of awesomeness. What will the stats be when you're done? You don't know, but you have a good idea because of everything already mentioned, materials, skill, work area, etc.

So you get your item of awesomeness and it's pretty awesome, maybe it doesn't have the durability you wanted, or the sharp edge you were looking for, but you know what, it's still awesome. Why? Because it's a good item, it's unique and you made it. It's not colored purple so everyone can say "All my items are purple, look at my e-peen", etc. It looks like whatever it is, maybe a long sword, short sword, club, whatever. Maybe it has a nicer looking blade to let you know there's SOMETHING different about the blade, but really, until it's in your greedy hands, you have no idea what.

Then, when that guy charges at you and spanks you really bad... You know you want his weapon, work to get it, make it, make something better whatever.

THAT is how I personally want crafting to work. Whether or not that'll actually happen or even if others agree, I dunno. Doesn't really matter, in the end, we're going to get what we get. This is just what I want.

+1 for the op and +1 for Trekkan.

Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    Whoa, are you complaining that Wurm Online had some user friendliness? I hope not, I'm not really looking for a game that's problem solving, just strategic. However, after thinking about it, I sort of don't want the possibility of improving weapons. The quality of an item makes crafting so much more extensive which was why it was so boring in Wurm Online. A finished product should sustain its quality until it's otherwise salvaged or broken. I think items should have different forms like they do in MMORPGs. The better the quality or "grade" of an item, the better and more stats it will give you. The color of the text for an item should also reflect its grade. Tools, armors, and weapons should be the only items that have grades.

I sorta agree (not with the item colours and grades) that it should keep its quality. But I also believe somethings could be upgraded but you should have to use mats that cost a good bit to make it better. Like say you want to upgrade a hammer. Well you should have to use maybe a costly type of steel or prep it in a costly way to upgrade it. Even then the upgrade could fail, or maybe even worsen the hammer depending on chance, your skill, the mats used, your tools etc.

I liked Wurm's system, but I found it to be tedious. The jumps in improving were really small is all. I really liked the system though. But I didnt like "imping" something over 2000 times to get it to become good. Thats 2000 times for 1 item. Thats over 2 hours of imping for 1 item. (Assuming you are using the fastest tools in the game, if not that could go much much higher.)