Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I really like the idea in the OP here, of differing depths to find different types of ores. i also agree with Jarosz, the Wurm mining system is brilliant, but it can be taken to a new level in a 3d game with an engine that doesnt run on java.

The main problem with the depth idea with the current Wurm system, is you would fill the mine with water, cos water is always there at that level. In Xsyon, it is not, so it would be possible to tunnel down much further, without filling the mine with water. This is a far better idea than the tradional "nodes" of MMO's. Make mines really mines.

Also, I'd like to ask Tren, how long would you expect those scrap heaps to last? With the entire population taking from them, theres only so much scrap to go around. I truly hope there comes a time when we will have to mine our own ore to make our own metals to craft with. Perhaps before mining comes in, we could perhaps melt things down to get liquid ore, but that would be for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Also, I'd like to ask Tren, how long would you expect those scrap heaps to last? With the entire population taking from them, theres only so much scrap to go around. I truly hope there comes a time when we will have to mine our own ore to make our own metals to craft with. Perhaps before mining comes in, we could perhaps melt things down to get liquid ore, but that would be for another thread.
    I'm almost certain that the trash system was designed purposely so we wouldn't undergo the same frustrations as we did in every other survival based game. The system in Wurm Online was horrible, it wasn't user friendly what-so-ever, nor was it fun digging for hours finding and picking a bunch of ore. That is probably the main reason I bought this game.

Wurm Online is a failure, mining took part in that. It was stressful for newcomers since ore was the main supply to basically get any item. The whole game pretty much relied on a mine while in Xsyon you actually spend time running around to get your resources. As we progress, I hope that the map gets bigger and we start hitting the lower junk under all the piles to get the newer technology. That would make up for the lore, not mining.

If we were to result to mining, we'd probably go back a few years in technology. I'd rather just go smelt the metal scraps found in junk piles to forge myself an item. Why go through all the trouble making a mine, digging for hours, and then having to hit the wrong type of ore in the end. To top it off, my items may break and just in case they do, I can't even make another being that I still need iron ore. Flawed system, Wurm Online just implemented a crappy system to roughly fix this.

What you say makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

Firstly, Wurm Online is far from a failure. The amount of depth that guy put into that game, all in Java, is truly astounding. I started playing it a few months ago while waiting on Xsyon, and I didnt find any shortfalls in gameplay, especially not linked to mining. Theres an iron mine 5 steps from where you spawn into the game as a new player.

Secondly, and far more importantly, you seem to think mining is an ancient ritual. Yes, the technology dates back as far as history will take us, but in todays technological world, do you honestly think there is no place for mining? You say mining will take us back years in technology, yet todays technological society relies very heavily on the mining industry. If you wish to live off scraps for the rest of your days, then that will take us back years, to the dawn of mankind. Mining is extremely important to any society, even current day, advanced societies, and I would be shocked to not see a mining system come into the game as our caveman, dumbass characters evolve.

Firstly, Wurm Online is far from a failure. The amount of depth that guy put into that game, all in Java, is truly astounding. I started playing it a few months ago while waiting on Xsyon, and I didnt find any shortfalls in gameplay, especially not linked to mining. Theres an iron mine 5 steps from where you spawn into the game as a new player.
    Minecraft, a low quality semi-clone had more success than Wurm Online and it's only be around for what, maybe a few months? Rolf, the maker of Wurm Online, wrote a blog thinking that Notch, a former employee of Rolf, would populate his servers because of their link. That sounds pathetic and proves Wurm Online is a failure. Rolf only has like one employee now working on a java based game. Yeah, so much success. There is a mine where you spawn, but everyone uses it. Now go look for your own and see where you go from there. Would be really fun in Xsyon to have a mine in the starter zone then when you leave it, you're without a mine and your gameplay is screwed. Like in Wurm Online, the newcomers will become a slave to the veterans. Horrible system, that's why Wurm Online is a failure. I don't even wanna get started about how user unfriendly it is.

Secondly, and far more importantly, you seem to think mining is an ancient ritual. Yes, the technology dates back as far as history will take us, but in todays technological world, do you honestly think there is no place for mining? You say mining will take us back years in technology, yet todays technological society relies very heavily on the mining industry. If you wish to live off scraps for the rest of your days, then that will take us back years, to the dawn of mankind. Mining is extremely important to any society, even current day, advanced societies, and I would be shocked to not see a mining system come into the game as our caveman, dumbass characters evolve.
    We also have machines putting together our items. So yes, we will go backwards. Our used to be technology is in these scrap piles. It's smarter to uncover it rather than trying to find some ore. Realism is never the way to go, but if you really wanna take realism into consideration, I highly doubt you will find a mass amount of minerals all around our current location. This is a game, I'd have more fun running around searching through scrap piles rather than picking in a mine all day.

You know what, if you wanna live off of scraps, thats your choice. If others wish to mine to make new stuff, that should be their choice. Afterall, that is what a sandbox is about, making choices, and having numerous ways to do things. Its called content and depth.

Btw, I said nothing about realism, I just used our world to explain how your way of thinking makes no sense. Unless you know of other worlds we can refer to, I'll just use this one for the time being.

I wont even bother trying to explain to you how slanted and incorrect your vision of Wurm is. Just cos the game hasnt got 10k players, doesnt mean the game itself is a failure. It just means it doesnt have many fans. Afterall, these kind of games are a niche market, and I dont see the Xsyon forum bursting at the seams with users either.

You know what, if you wanna live off of scraps, thats your choice. If others wish to mine to make new stuff, that should be their choice. Afterall, that is what a sandbox is about, making choices, and having numerous ways to do things. Its called content and depth.

Btw, I said nothing about realism, I just used our world to explain how your way of thinking makes no sense. Unless you know of other worlds we can refer to, I'll just use this one for the time being.
    Ok, when there is an apocalypse, I'mma go live off of scraps and you go dig up a mine. You might find one near your local mall, you should go start there. Taking about making sense, look how you sense sounds.

I wont even bother trying to explain to you how slanted and incorrect your vision of Wurm is. Just cos the game hasnt got 10k players, doesnt mean the game itself is a failure. It just means it doesnt have many fans. Afterall, these kind of games are a niche market, and I dont see the Xsyon forum bursting at the seams with users either.
    The game had less than 1k players on since years ago. It's a failure, I can be considered a veteran that keeps quitting because of how crappy the game is. I take part of the wikipedia that is designed by players, not Rolf. I hope one day it can improve, but I doubt it. Rolf should of listened to Notch when he had the chance. You are right, you are a fan. Wurm Online is based off of an unwelcoming fan based community. I can't believe how many times I've see newcomers be tricked and made fun of on the chat. Even the moderators take part in it. They've even turned everyone into an animal once, making the game unplayable. Such a funny April fools that we couldn't even play the game until the day was over? If Xsyon did that, I would definitely cancel my subscription.

Okay, I know I shouldnt be feeding the troll, but... again, youre thinking is upsetting me. Mining will quite clearly be an evolution, once the scrap heaps wind down. I cant imagine all the scraps of the entire world being around Lake Tahoe. Is it even a highly populated area? You know, its not all about realism, as you were keen to point out in your last post, yet now you suggest such realism in this last post. Perhaps you should go research human evolution a little. Other than that, I cant do much else but shrug my shoulders at you. You must be the only person I know of, that would not want to see mining/smelting/blacksmithing in a game, but wants to see fish farming and mutated farm stock.

@Xsyon, please please please turn us all into animals for a day.

Mining will quite clearly be an evolution, once the scrap heaps wind down. I cant imagine all the scraps of the entire world being around Lake Tahoe. Is it even a highly populated area? You know, its not all about realism, as you were keen to point out in your last post, yet now you suggest such realism in this last post. Perhaps you should go research human evolution a little. Other than that, I cant do much else but shrug my shoulders at you. You must be the only person I know of, that would not want to see mining/smelting/blacksmithing in a game, but wants to see fish farming and mutated farm stock.
    I highly doubt Lake Tahoe has tons of ores for us to gather. Why is everyone trying to find gold and iron in Alaska when Lake Tahoe is the place to be, you're a genius!

Unhappy I agree, somewhat

I believe things like that are needed, it brassed me off to no ends that we had the Chicken Effect, but I would also hope that small things like that here happened. Now I believe that just because 'tis the season, doesn't mean it should be enforced. There should be a way to turn it off.

Now, hopefully it can be something silly, for example log in as a chicken, drink water and log off/on to turn back into a player would have been a good idea. Forcing players to be in that form for the full one and a half days was overkill and became annoying when moving around in grass.

@Trenixdecease: "Even the moderators take part in [abusing new starting players]."

I find this very offensive. If you believe this to be true, I would welcome the challenge to Wurms boss Oracle. I as part of the Wurm staff, always ensure the actions of other staff members are within not only the game rules but common sense.

Even thou I'm a lowly CA/CM, its still my job to ensure other staff are within the rights of that scope.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibird View Post
    I find this very offensive. If you believe this to be true, I would welcome the challenge to Wurms boss Oracle. I as part of the Wurm staff, always ensure the actions of other staff members are within not only the game rules but common sense.

Even thou I'm a lowly CA/CM, its still my job to ensure other staff are within the rights of that scope.
    I was wondering why your name reminded me of someone from Wurm Online. I didn't mean to target all of the moderators, but the management in there is pretty bad from that time that I've played. I could have reported, took some screenshots, but there is too much to do for such a little impact. What is the most someone will do, tell the moderator that they did wrong? Wurm Online just wasn't my cup of tea. I ran into too many griefers and moderators that would rather watch for an hour before they took any real action. The chicken thing was also a bit too much, if I'm paying for a game not a moderator or the lead game designer has the right to stop me from playing, unless of course I did wrong. Otherwise, I want a refund for that one day. It's just as bad as taking down a server for the whole day, most MMORPGs give you something in return for the delay. Whether it's exp or an extra free day.