Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well since Ive been playing, if the server has been down for a couple of hours, which has happened twice, they subbed us with 5hrs sleep bonus. I was impressed that they gave something.

Mining

I have played almost every MMO from UO until now. Mining is heavily wove through those MMOs. To not have mining at all would be a drawback to a game, not a boon.

As to how heavily a role you want mining to play - now that is a large question. The post Apocalypse setting would leave us devoid of most massive mining implements we use today. Picks and shovels, buckets and ropes - a mine in that setting would require ample manpower and time. Scrap would far better server individual players. Should tribes be capable of mining - sure. Should the mine be something simple like ATITD -- sure. Click the three yellow rocks for tin - if you have no clue what ATITD is.

Point is the more you include in a game the better - there should be a path to "win' through scrap or mining or basketmaker extraordinare. Different people play different games for different reasons and the more reasons you can heap into your game (while making them all mean something and support one another) the better.

I think that mining is a good idea as a tribal feature. I'm a new player so i don't know if I'm right but I think that right now every tribe has access to resources they need and only thing they might need from other tribes are tools they don't have recepies for.

If you choose resources carefully to make it realistic for example salt for food preservation, iron for tool/weapon making, gold for religious statues to boost faith and make mines controlled by tribes it could boost politics, economy, create conflicts over mine possesion. ofcource other tribes shoud have something to trade too so maybe lands rich in specyfic type of wood or higher population of some animal or fish. I also think resources should be "infinite" but with different chance to mine (richness).

It is hard to balance but i think it's worth to think about it.

Not sure if you guys realize, but this will be some intense grinding. Much worse than masons picking up stones to make bricks. Hope you guys really think about what you're getting yourself into. I'm not going to lie, if this was to be implemented, I would be pretty upset. If I wanted to waste my time, I would go play Wurm Online. No reason to make it a clone, especially since it's a failure. You'd cause more issues than you'd gain. It's not worth it, I'd rather have scrap piles never run out regardless if it's real or not. Too much realism is a problem...

Well for me this game is based on grind right now, every resource gathering is a grind.
    Theres no reason for tribes to work together becouse they can get everythng they need by themselves, besides mines, as i see it, wouldn't be essential to survival, it would just make it easier for example fish could last for a day or two while salted fish for a week. That way you wouldn't need to grind for fish every day.
    The same way with iron you could scavenge untill you find what you need or just buy it from someone who can make it easily.

It's just a matter of how hard would it be to mine resources grind-wise. If you want to make a player-built world you have to make it global, you have to give people reason to comunicate on a tribal level. Otherwise tribes will live as isolated communities and there'll be wars becouse people will be bored with everyday grind and not becouse they would gain something.

But thats just what I think. I'm not very experienced with sandbox mmos and might be wrong.

Youve hit the nail on the head yoori.

I would rather mine for 20mins then make 100 nails from that ore, than to scavenge for 8hrs, and be lucky to find 100 nails. That is the difference.

By now tren, we all know how you feel about this idea, please stop repeating it. This is a discussion about mining, if you cant contribute constructively, please refrain from posting.

Hum so happy mt first Thread reach 3 page ;P

@topic
    is all question about more option you can more freedom you have somes like another hate

@Kinslayer
    my in scavengig take 100-300 nails in one hour , but of course use ores to make i think more concret and no luck based ( people have chossen less and concrete or big and luck )

@Topic
    Remember create ores/enmaters and divided by zones make usefull trade for raw resources

Wow Vadio, I certainly dont get that many nails per hour, I wish.

And you are 100% correct, raw resources through mining will increase trade, and PvP if different resources are spread exclusively to different parts of the world. With scavenging piles, they are already spread right around the world, so there wont be any need for trade when speaking of scavenged resources.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Well for me this game is based on grind right now, every resource gathering is a grind.
    Theres no reason for tribes to work together becouse they can get everythng they need by themselves, besides mines, as i see it, wouldn't be essential to survival, it would just make it easier for example fish could last for a day or two while salted fish for a week. That way you wouldn't need to grind for fish every day.
    The same way with iron you could scavenge untill you find what you need or just buy it from someone who can make it easily.

It's just a matter of how hard would it be to mine resources grind-wise. If you want to make a player-built world you have to make it global, you have to give people reason to comunicate on a tribal level. Otherwise tribes will live as isolated communities and there'll be wars becouse people will be bored with everyday grind and not becouse they would gain something.

But thats just what I think. I'm not very experienced with sandbox mmos and might be wrong.
    Trash piles are our current mines. You will be able to own them and other enemy tribes will be allowed to steal them. I'm pretty sure that each one contains different materials. Therefore you wouldn't be able to grind all your items. Also, you'll discover different animals, items, crafts, and even skills in different locations. Therefore your isolation idea is invalid. It's listed in the features of the game. I also don't find it reasonable to punish people with mining just so you can force them to pillage from other tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Youve hit the nail on the head yoori.

I would rather mine for 20mins then make 100 nails from that ore, than to scavenge for 8hrs, and be lucky to find 100 nails. That is the difference.
    I don't quite understand why you'd like to sit for hours picking for ore rather than running around gathering random resources. Unless you're a macroer, I really find that hard to believe. Miners will only encourage macroing, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    By now tren, we all know how you feel about this idea, please stop repeating it. This is a discussion about mining, if you cant contribute constructively, please refrain from posting.
    First of all, don't tell me what I should or should not do. Second of all, I have been giving constructive feedback. Third of all, mind your own business, if you don't like my responses and opinions then ignore me. So thank you very much and please refrain from causing another flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    Minecraft, a low quality semi-clone had more success than Wurm Online and it's only be around for what, maybe a few months? Rolf, the maker of Wurm Online, wrote a blog thinking that Notch, a former employee of Rolf, would populate his servers because of their link. That sounds pathetic and proves Wurm Online is a failure. Rolf only has like one employee now working on a java based game. Yeah, so much success. There is a mine where you spawn, but everyone uses it. Now go look for your own and see where you go from there. Would be really fun in Xsyon to have a mine in the starter zone then when you leave it, you're without a mine and your gameplay is screwed. Like in Wurm Online, the newcomers will become a slave to the veterans. Horrible system, that's why Wurm Online is a failure. I don't even wanna get started about how user unfriendly it is.
    Not to get too pedantic but Minecraft will be two years old in May:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k
    Not that this fact makes its rapid rise to fame any less impressive.

But I don't agree that Wurm is a failure. I mean Rolf appears to be making a living off it. Sure, it's not taking the gaming world by storm like some games but shouldn't a game actually fail (i.e. shut down, stop running, etc.) before you can call it a failure? So it didn't appeal to you or a lot of other people. Ok. Yet somehow it manages to keep going. In fact it's growing, albeit at a really slow rate.