Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forums vs In-Game

While I have created this section I certainly hope that once the game comes around that everyone will be using in game systems to communicate and discuss mainly the Totems since that is what they are there for.

Maybe once the game comes I will temp lock this section to try to get people to use the in game system.

The totems should allow enough communication that the forums are not needed.

I would hate to see another game go to the dogs because it was not all in game.

Re:Forums vs In-Game

but of course
    personally I usually ignore the game forums and do everything in game.

I'm glad you posted that Virtus, in a game like this where RP is not enforced, it may not be needed, but I do not doubt it will increase imersion ten fold. It does suck when there's an in game event and some **** goes and posts all the details on the forums.

Edit:
    Not to mention all the flame wars, trolling and general crap that goes on. One thing I may recomend to you though, since you seem to be the Magic behind the forums. I'm stealing this idea from another game... Make a private leaders board, entry on application, for those people who play the game a lot to have inteligent discussion with developers about things that need to be changed in the game.

Not an elitist community, but somewhere without the rants, flaming, insults. Kept clear of spam, a place for issues to be discussed by players with admin.

[b]Teotwauki wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I'm glad you posted that Virtus, in a game like this where RP is not enforced, it may not be needed, but I do not doubt it will increase imersion ten fold. It does suck when there's an in game event and some **** goes and posts all the details on the forums.

Edit:
    Not to mention all the flame wars, trolling and general crap that goes on. One thing I may recomend to you though, since you seem to be the Magic behind the forums. I'm stealing this idea from another game... Make a private leaders board, entry on application, for those people who play the game a lot to have inteligent discussion with developers about things that need to be changed in the game.

Not an elitist community, but somewhere without the rants, flaming, insults. Kept clear of spam, a place for issues to be discussed by players with admin.[/quote]

What about the casual community? What if the people who play the game a lot are all griefers? Shouldn't everyone get a say in what goes on? The people in the leader boards might not have all the skills so they don't know whats good/bad in some areas of the game. This may work on other games where players can explore all areas of the game, but you can't in this game (Seeing as you can't master all skills) so IMHO this is not an advisable course of action.

There will be an area for subscribers only so that we can hear your ideas/wishes for the game. This way we make sure the actual players are making the decisions.

That's cool Virtus. Sounding great, I have done a blog or two on how it seems the people that play on the forums and not the game get's there way more times the the players do. This should at lest make them pay a Sub to play on the forum area's that will count.

[b]Virtus wrote:[/b]
    [quote]While I have created this section I certainly hope that once the game comes around that everyone will be using in game systems to communicate and discuss mainly the Totems since that is what they are there for.

Maybe once the game comes I will temp lock this section to try to get people to use the in game system.

The totems should allow enough communication that the forums are not needed.

I would hate to see another game go to the dogs because it was not all in game.[/quote]While I can't comment on the totems because I have not seen the functionality, you may want to keep in mind that there are a lot of people that have a love for forums because of certain features that are difficult to replicate in-game.

Many of us have long work days with no access to anything other then forums, so in-game communication isn't always available.

I don't think a temp lock is the best solution (not a terrible one), rather a functional communication system that provides incentive to use by itself. If the system works well, I wouldn't worry about needing additional encouragement for people to use it.

[quote]There will be an area for subscribers only so that we can hear your ideas/wishes for the game. This way we make sure the actual players are making the decisions.[/quote]This idea sounds good in theory, as long as you don't completely exclude the rest of the community because input from potential subscribers is valuable as well.

potential subscribers may or may not become subscribers. We only want info from those who have played the game and experienced the features first hand, for only they can tell us what they like and don't like about the current system.

Everyone else can always give their ideas in the other section and they will be listened to and considered.

[quote]potential subscribers may or may not become subscribers. We only want info from those who have played the game and experienced the features first hand, for only they can tell us what they like and don't like about the current system.

Everyone else can always give their ideas in the other section and they will be listened to and considered.[/quote]

and by that he means ignored and disregarded to the junk pile.