Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish Farming

I'd rather see fishing nets that can catch 5+ fish at once in the lake with the aid of a boat. Keep mass fishing to the coasts and agriculture for the inland folks.

Although mrcalho's post was a joke, I tend to agree with it, in terms of in game. What I mean is, fishing is a skill like any other, and there will be people that will possibly become fishermen, and wish to sell their wares. If you dont like the idea of fishing, and hate it that bad that you would prefer to farm your fish, well then, perhaps you can support a local fisherman, and buy your fish as apposed to catching them yourself.

On top of that, I simply dont think fish farming belongs in a time in the game where everything is so basic. We cant remember how to build a house or a crossbow, yet you'd have us building filtration systems and setting up substitute marine systems to farm fish? Sounds like a lot of trouble when youre living by a lake full of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Although mrcalho's post was a joke, I tend to agree with it, in terms of in game. What I mean is, fishing is a skill like any other, and there will be people that will possibly become fishermen, and wish to sell their wares. If you dont like the idea of fishing, and hate it that bad that you would prefer to farm your fish, well then, perhaps you can support a local fisherman, and buy your fish as apposed to catching them yourself.
    Currently the system seems like a filler. I'm pretty sure Xsyon will improve it overtime. My purpose wasn't to remove fishing, only promote it. In order to get rare fish, you must catch it or purchase it from someone else. I would also like the idea of fish being a low quality meat when compared to livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    On top of that, I simply dont think fish farming belongs in a time in the game where everything is so basic. We cant remember how to build a house or a crossbow, yet you'd have us building filtration systems and setting up substitute marine systems to farm fish? Sounds like a lot of trouble when youre living by a lake full of fish.
    We do have the ability to build houses, I'm pretty sure that the feature just isn't implemented yet. We're able to build brick walls but we're unable to build a home? I misunderstood the "filtration" system we were talking about. I was thinking about triggers rather than an actual filter. The idea of a filter is negating my idea with realism. It's not a valid argument to counter gameplay over realism for it's very unreal that a bunch of people are able to kill a bear with just an axe.

One of the points I think Kinslayer is making is at the launch of prelude we are beginning the journey. Houses (four sturdy walls and an attached roof) wont be in yet and its unlikely brick walls will be. We will be survivors of an apocalyptic event and our available knowledge will reflect that. We have forgetten much if not all of past technologies. "You are a survivor. Your youth was spent lost in times of war. Your memories of the past with its machines, computers, bright lights and buildings reaching for the skies are vague and ever fading, a distant and unreal dream. You grow accustomed to ancient ways that now once again rule the world." In a post apocalyptic society, food gathering and preparation is one of the highest priorities. As we start as hunters and gatherers, hunting and gathering should be our main starting activities. As time progresses, agriculture may appear, making it more feasible to move inland, but until then fish are the primary food source, making lake access invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Demiwar View Post
    Houses (four sturdy walls and an attached roof) wont be in yet and its unlikely brick walls will be.
    Brick walls are already in...

Quote Originally Posted by Demiwar View Post
    As time progresses, agriculture may appear, making it more feasible to move inland, but until then fish are the primary food source, making lake access invaluable.
    Agriculture is supposed to appear since it's listed as a feature. In addition, making lakes invaluable is problematic, just like it was in Wurm Online. Regardless, everyone needs to understand that this would only make fishing more useful from where it currently stands. Fish farming would mean that you wouldn't have to fish, that is correct. However, you would most likely have an overused fish that has no value. That would encourage fisherman to catch a rarer fish. Thus, giving them a role as a fisher rather than someone who's a fish farmer.