Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re:How do we know this isnt a scam?

Orphen wrote:
    May I ask, How do you plan to stress test the servers before launch?
    They've been stress tested and should support the size of community we expect without problems.

If the initial community is larger than expected we will split the world onto two servers.

Beyond that we will temporarily stop taking orders until we can expand the world (the actual terrain onto different servers) to accomodate more players. I don't expect that to happen, but we are prepared in any case.

Baldur wrote:
    Hopefully it was a learning experience.
    A very painful and frustrating one. You don't know how many times the first notice I got of a promised game feature that apparently I was currently developing, was when I saw it publicly posted on the website.

I'm not going going to announce any features that aren't already at least 80% done. There are quite a few interesting things I left off the features list for this reason.

Xsyon wrote:
    Baldur wrote:
    Hopefully it was a learning experience.
    A very painful and frustrating one. You don't know how many times the first notice I got of a promised game feature that apparently I was currently developing, was when I saw it publicly posted on the website.

I'm not going going to announce any features that aren't already at least 80% done. There are quite a few interesting things I left off the features list for this reason.
    Hehe, if only Peter Molyneux could learn to do that

Sounds great. Really looking forward to seeing this come to life B)

This reminds me of an online browser game I played where once a day you would do one task (chop wood, hunt, sell, etc.) This also reminds me of The Realm where success will depend largely on community based activities.

This game seems very interesting, to see who will come together not to progress their character so much, but to build a community and expand.

Bumbin wrote:
    This reminds me of an online browser game I played where once a day you would do one task (chop wood, hunt, sell, etc.) This also reminds me of The Realm where success will depend largely on community based activities.

This game seems very interesting, to see who will come together not to progress their character so much, but to build a community and expand.
    It also means you have to have a smart and generous crowd. If half the people in the game are only thinking about themselves the game will go nowhere.

I'm still pretty unsure about this game.

I mean no beta is what worries me the most.. they say they stress tested already and i assume that means with AI (virtually) however it could be way different with players...
    Could be server crashes galore.
    And plenty of bugs.

They have been developing the game for 2-3 years, that is, when the coding was first laid down. Since then they have been building and testing as they go.

For some of the closed beta coming up (I don't know if pre-orders will be allowed in, but a select group will) they will turn off the features and one by one turn them all one. This way they know that each feature is fin before moving onto the next. If a feature breaks after another feature is implemented then you know there is a feature interaction problem.

Virtus wrote:
    For some of the closed beta coming up (I don't know if pre-orders will be allowed in, but a select group will) they will turn off the features and one by one turn them all one. This way they know that each feature is fin before moving onto the next. If a feature breaks after another feature is implemented then you know there is a feature interaction problem.
    I wish it was as easy as you made it sound. Pretty often try to use this approach myself and pretty often when you fix the thing, you break something else....well at least I do :P

Baldur wrote:
    I'm still a bit tender from the tall promises of my last game... I'm sure Jooky is too.
    Hopefully it was a learning experience. It's going to be hard to put together a sandbox of this scope, but hopefully it's done right this time.
    Videos, more info, and then I'd be more inclined to preorder.
    which game was that?